Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 03/01/2021 at 03:47, Lex said:

That’s true. I do love the wailing interviews of:

‘ MY BUSINESS WENT BUST CAUSE OF BREXIT ‘

No, it went bust because it was a poorly run shit show. You’d think no British companies went bust when we were in the EU. The scrambling of the rejoiners next week will be something to behold. Can’t wait.

Meanwhile in Scotland's fishing industry:

Edited by LongTimeLurker

8 days into Brexit and Boris's tariff free deal is falling apart, I'm going to start practicing with my championship bow&arrow again - no zombie/gammonista is gonna be stealing my stockpile of baked beans & toilet roll!  🏹

1 hour ago, trainspotter said:

Quite bold of Redwood and Ashcroft (there may be others) tweeting 'where are the lorry queues lol' quite so early in the process.

absolute denial and the projection of an utterly false narrative is completely consistent with this Government and its supporters - just look at their extremely effective handling of Covid with world bearing systems in place as just one example. 

12 hours ago, trainspotter said:

Quite bold of Redwood and Ashcroft (there may be others) tweeting 'where are the lorry queues lol' quite so early in the process.

Ashcroft has deleted the tweet.

Gove saying the lorries will be there soon. Although it looks like the way things are going there will be no goods to ship to the EU.

All these problems are shite, obviously, but I can't really see any that weren't known months ago - rules of origin stuff was flagged up ages ago as an issue the EU was refusing to budge on. The NI issues are maybe understandable, as it seems impossible to believe a country would erect a customs border internally, even though it's been flagged in advance, but how could M&S not understand what was coming in terms of re-exports to the EU? 

I feel really sorry for the Scottish shellfish guys, but how could they have expected everything would go smoothly on Jan 1? Because Boris said so?

Edited by bendan

10 minutes ago, bendan said:

All these problems are shite, obviously, but I can't really see any that weren't known months ago - rules of origin stuff was flagged up ages ago as an issue the EU was refusing to budge on. The NI issues are maybe understandable, as it seems impossible to believe a country would erect a customs border internally, even though it's been flagged in advance, but how could M&S not understand what was coming in terms of re-exports to the EU? 

I feel really sorry for the Scottish shellfish guys, but how could they have expected everything would go smoothly on Jan 1? Because Boris said so?

Hopefully they'll remember that come the election.

BBC is first media organisation to realise this might also be causing problems for EU exporters (who export c.£375bn to the UK each year):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-55592161

Overall BBC 'analysis' seems to be that problems exporting to the EU is bad for the UK because people are less likely to buy our stuff, yet problems exporting to the UK is bad for the UK  because it means higher prices and less choice for the UK.

Guest Bob Mahelp
14 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

absolute denial and the projection of an utterly false narrative is completely consistent with this Government and its supporters - just look at their extremely effective handling of Covid with world bearing systems in place as just one example. 

^^^This

The right-wing press, the biggest cheerleaders of Brexit, virtually refuse to publish a negative story on it.

The Express this morning has NO stories at all on the problems that have arisen. They just ignore it. They have something like 4 anti-Nicola Sturgeon stories though....she seems to be the right-wing's hate figure of choice now Brexit is over with. 

27 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The Express this morning has NO stories at all on the problems that have arisen. They just ignore it. They have something like 4 anti-Nicola Sturgeon stories though....she seems to be the right-wing's hate figure of choice now Brexit is over with. 

The Express is horrendous, but just looked at the website and right at the top was something like 'Brexit Fish Chaos' - obviously they are blaming the French. 

Just below it something about unexpected bills for Brits with property in Spain as a result of Brexit.

I don't see the right wing press ignoring it - they just spin it as the dastardly Europeans punishing the Brits. The left-wing spin it as a zero-sum game of Britain loses so EU wins, when any sentient being knows barriers to trade are lose-lose.

Edited by bendan

The Express is horrendous

The National has a similar level of political impartiality but it does at least have “The Newspaper That Supports Scottish Independence” written clearly above the title. The express has some bollocks about being “Newspaper of the year” as opposed to “the newspaper that backs face eating leopards”

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The National has a similar level of political impartiality but it does at least have “The Newspaper That Supports Scottish Independence” written clearly above the title. The express has some bollocks about being “Newspaper of the year” as opposed to “the newspaper that backs face eating leopards”

There is at least some humour in the Express - they had incessant 'Brussels About to Cave!' type articles during the Brexit negotiations.