Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

On 27/12/2020 at 09:54, MixuFruit said:

Are west coast creelers OK out of this? WTO was going to destroy the industry, can they export without vet checks etc?

On 27/12/2020 at 11:50, Billy Jean King said:
On 27/12/2020 at 11:32, Cyclizine said:
My father in law is still trying to find out exactly what is going to be happening. There will be more paperwork, but hopeful the vet sign off might not be necessary. The devil is in the detail.

Beat me to it mate, sounds like we have had very similar family conversations

As far as I can make out from my in laws, there has been an issue with IT on the French side, which has affected some exporters, although not them personally as they're holding off at the moment hoping things might settle down a bit over the next few weeks. Those that were affected had to use another port which added delays, which is an issue with live catch.

The big issue they think will be that you can't easily export multiple species of shellfish in one shipment now, they need separate consignments, each with their own paperwork which is already a lot. So no lobsters and langoustines on one lorry without a load of certificates. Any mistake and turned back with tens of thousands worth of catch.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

I think given the UK has asked EU exporters to do their own VAT payments to HMRC instead of HMRC levying VAT on delivery as they do for stuff coming from outside the EU, purely because they admitted they couldn't enforce it, it's fair to say it's inevitable some exporters would just stop bothering.

So then it's the inevitable result of HMRC policy that small volume exporters using their own platforms would not bother exporting to the UK. 

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Good news for Chinese ebayers I guess

Bad news, surely?

Edit: or in fact no change, as eBay would have been handling the VAT.

One thing I don't get is how those EU sellers paid UK VAT before - VAT was still due in the country of consumption under EU rules. 

Edited by bendan

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

Explainer here. Key change seems to be VAT is charged at point of sale and not at point of import, i.e. HMRC considers the sale to now happen at my PC and not at the seller's.

Seems like a big aid to Amazon etc. oligopoly power.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021#outline-of-the-changes

But for EU sales, it would still have had to have been charged at point of sale in the past. It has always been due in the place of consumption.

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Not according to that document

I don't see where you are getting that from - the document is not specific to EU trade, and in fact says the result will be that EU and non-EU are now treated the same (implying they were not previously, which is obviously true). In the past, VAT was payable at point of sale if inside the EU, but on importation if outside the EU.

18 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

My mistake. Apparently there are distance selling thresholds that exempt companies from VAT registration if they're selling less that €35k a year to another country, and this no longer applies to the UK. I guess that's why the news is focusing on smaller suppliers. This year it's going to be withdrawn anyway but replaced with a declaration of cross border sales made throughout the EU in a company's tax receipts, which the tax authorities of each country will disburse to the relevant destination countries. 

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/eu-vat-rules/distance-selling/distance-selling-eu-vat-thresholds.html

At the end of the day, as you say, the new situation would seem to favour the big marketplaces that can easily handle the payments. 

7 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

😄 "Expats" too. 😄😄😄

There are lots of expats in Spain who have been living there ‘under the radar’.  They’ve been well warned about registering and it would be in their interest to do so but they’ve probably got their ‘reasons’ for not doing so.

Brexit is going to impact upon them.  Bigly.

2 minutes ago, jakedee said:

And?

From what I read of the original news report (about Spanish residents being refused re-entry to Spain) most (if not all) had the requisite paperwork to prove their residency.

If the roles were reversed and EU nationals resident in Britain were refused entry, would there be GIRUThem posts? More likely outrage and handwringing from the same posters currently wetting themselves with delight at the plight of others..

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

There are lots of expats in Spain who have been living there ‘under the radar’.  They’ve been well warned about registering and it would be in their interest to do so but they’ve probably got their ‘reasons’ for not doing so.

Brexit is going to impact upon them.  Bigly.

That's a different matter and their problem, quite frankly. I wouldn't have a lot of sympathy for someone living illegally in Spain, tbh.