Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
15 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
His head is going to explode in five years when he's living in a united Ireland.  Probably take up arms.

What him and his ilk don't understand is that if someone from say Belfast walks into a pub in Manchester or Glasgow, people would refer to them as Irish. Outwith the north of Ireland, and some bigoted areas in West of Scotland.. nobody gives a f**k. He may have been born in Scotland but he lives in Ireland.

I don't call myself British.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
16 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
His head is going to explode in five years when he's living in a united Ireland.  Probably take up arms.

What him and his ilk don't understand is that if someone from say Belfast walks into a pub in Manchester or Glasgow, people would refer to them as Irish. Outwith the north of Ireland, and some bigoted areas in West of Scotland.. nobody gives a f**k. He may have been born in Scotland but he lives in Ireland.

Yeah, N Irish bigots (I have no idea where he was born) are in some cases literally willing to and have killed over their desire to be British, and died for it too.  But Stevie Wonder can see they aren't, never have been and never could be.  

The clue is in the name UK of GB and NI.  See if they were 'British' you wouldn't need the NI bit.  You only have to look at a map, 'Britain' is the geographical name for England and Wales, and 'Great Britain' is England, Wales and Scotland.  NI is not in Britain, so people from NI are not and never could be 'British'.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't call myself British.

Neither do I but at least we could with accuracy if we wanted to.  In truth in Britain nobody thinks of themselves as British, English people consider themselves English, Welsh Welsh, and Scottish Scottish.  Ironically the only people who do are the bigots in NI and they're not British at all. 

5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah, N Irish bigots (I have no idea where he was born) are in some cases literally willing to and have killed over their desire to be British, and died for it too.  But Stevie Wonder can see they aren't, never have been and never could be.  

The clue is in the name UK of GB and NI.  See if they were 'British' you wouldn't need the NI bit.  You only have to look at a map, 'Britain' is the geographical name for England and Wales, and 'Great Britain' is England, Wales and Scotland.  NI is not in Britain, so people from NI are not and never could be 'British'.

Great Britain refers to the island that includes most of England, Scotland and Wales.  Politically it also includes various islands located nearby. 

"Great" is used to distinguish from Lesser Britain which is more commonly known as Brittany.

The people in NI who like to call themselves British are descended from settlers who did not want to identify with the people who were already there before.

19 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Neither do I but at least we could with accuracy if we wanted to.  In truth in Britain nobody thinks of themselves as British, English people consider themselves English, Welsh Welsh, and Scottish Scottish.  Ironically the only people who do are the bigots in NI and they're not British at all. 

By far, a substantial majority of English people I've met, would describe themselves as British.

It might even be fair to suggest that many of them are unable to grasp the difference between British and English.

8 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Great Britain refers to the island that includes most of England, Scotland and Wales.  Politically it also includes various islands located nearby. 

"Great" is used to distinguish from Lesser Britain which is more commonly known as Brittany.

The people in NI who like to call themselves British are descended from settlers who did not want to identify with the people who were already there before.

I know, but that doesn't change reality does it?  They aren't British, despite what they identify as.

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

By far, a substantial majority of English people I've met, would describe themselves as British.

It might even be fair to suggest that many of them are unable to grasp the difference between British and English.

Some English people use English and British interchangably but all studies show the vast, vast majority of people in England, Wales and Scotland do not consider themselves British.  Its only a thing to weirdos like Michael Gove and bigots like Johnny Adair.

5 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The only people in the UK who identify as English are in London and NI.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

When the Daily Heil is reporting it you know there's an issue. Back to delights such as prunes, rhubarb and cooking apples for your vitamin C fix to recreate the "good old days" pre-EEC that some of us still remember in culinary terms. Mince and tatties ===> fish and chips ===> pie and beans ===> repeat cycle ad nauseam

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Your plural or anecdote is not the same as data. Outside London, Northern Ireland and handful of other spots, home nation identity trumps Britishness.

national-idenity-uk.jpg

This doesn’t really add or detract anything from your point, but do you know where this data comes from, and if so, do you know if the participants were limited in what identity they could choose?

I just would have thought that there’s certain places where the regional identity would trump the National one - Yorkshire, for example, where I’d have thought a lot of people would identify with the county before Englishness. I’ve nothing to back this up beyond anecdotal evidence of everyone I’ve ever met from Yorkshire banging on about it relentlessly, but would be interested to see if there’s any evidence for that.

21 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

This doesn’t really add or detract anything from your point, but do you know where this data comes from, and if so, do you know if the participants were limited in what identity they could choose?

I just would have thought that there’s certain places where the regional identity would trump the National one - Yorkshire, for example, where I’d have thought a lot of people would identify with the county before Englishness. I’ve nothing to back this up beyond anecdotal evidence of everyone I’ve ever met from Yorkshire banging on about it relentlessly, but would be interested to see if there’s any evidence for that.

I lived in Yorkshire for 3 years and can confirm that - especially the banging on about it bit!

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

When the Daily Heil is reporting it you know there's an issue. Back to delights such as prunes, rhubarb and cooking apples for your vitamin C fix to recreate the "good old days" pre-EEC that some of us still remember in culinary terms. Mince and tatties ===> fish and chips ===> pie and beans ===> repeat cycle ad nauseam

A lot of brexiteers would still be eating that anyway, but could you not do Thai, Chinese, Indian etc or is Asia now part of the EU?

1 hour ago, bendan said:

A lot of brexiteers would still be eating that anyway, but could you not do Thai, Chinese, Indian etc or is Asia now part of the EU?

I was joking about what life could be like in Scotland back in the early 70s and before when haggis, neaps and tatties represented something you ate on a big occasion. Things definitely perked up on the culinary side of things when a Chinese kerry oot (won't use the name that was used back then) opened up close to where I lived, so yes there are other things you can do with the same basic ingregients. There's a reason why you don't find too many Scottish restaurants when you travel the world even though you'll find plenty of malt whisky.

26 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I was joking about what life could be like in Scotland back in the early 70s and before when haggis, neaps and tatties represented something you ate on a big occasion. Things definitely perked up on the culinary side of things when a Chinese kerry oot (won't use the name that was used back then) opened up close to where I lived, so yes there are other things you can do with the same basic ingregients. There's a reason why you don't find too many Scottish restaurants when you travel the world even though you'll find plenty of malt whisky.

I'm (just) old enough to remember that era. I seem to remember supermarket fruit and veg sections being a bit sparse in winter in those days, too. It's amazing how complex and global supply chains are now.