Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I still think a Vianetta is the height of sophistication!

Other foreign muck (as my dad described it) included garlic bread, which I first tasted in my late teens in 1985 (i know this because I was on my way to a  Dire Straits concert, and the tour was called 'Live in 85'.
Yours, the Sultan of Swing
aDONis
Imagine being in your late teens these days before you've had the chance to taste garlic bread?
Garlic Bread, commonly served in cafes in Scotland as an accompaniment to Macaroni Cheese and chips. Carbohydrate in a carbohydrate sauce with sides of carbohydrate and carbohydrate. The perfect balanced meal !!!

So if we get relegated, does that mean we play in the Second World with all the former Soviet nations?

That's not good, guys. We never do well in Eastern Europe. Could see us falling straight through to the Third.

Venison and fish prices are dropping like a stone and yet last time I went to the supermarket there was virtually no venison other than sausages that are half pork anyway and half the seafood was farmed in Vietnam. There's an opportunity to be had here.
I really hope it results in a more diverse selection of meat in supermarkets. Somehow I doubt it though. We seem adept as a culture in desiring only the blandest varieties.

Venison and fish prices are dropping like a stone and yet last time I went to the supermarket there was virtually no venison other than sausages that are half pork anyway and half the seafood was farmed in Vietnam. There's an opportunity to be had here.
Wholesale prices that is. Absolutely no sign of cheaper fish at our local fishmonger yet.

8 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Wholesale prices that is. Absolutely no sign of cheaper fish at our local fishmonger yet.

There’s absolutely no incentive for retailers to lower prices.  Elasticity of demand and all that.

9 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
9 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I really hope it results in a more diverse selection of meat in supermarkets. Somehow I doubt it though. We seem adept as a culture in desiring only the blandest varieties.

This is so true. There can't be many places where people are so ultra-conservative about food. Even when you go to a fishmonger (and there aren't many of them) you don't actually see much that resembles a fish.

Jimmy Buchan squealing about the seafood industry being in a "catastrophe" on Politics Scotland.
When asked is this not a case of "reap what you sow" being a brexiteer, suddenly the questioner is not doing his job by asking about the past.
Deserves everything he gets.

The Pier in Troon and Pieronis in Ayr are great. Tons of species from local to farmed to exotics. All prepared to your requests. But it's not cheap, never has been. Many species dearer than steak per kilo.

Lovely John Dory in Ayr last week but at £16 each for a 2lbs fish it's a dear doo especially given the wastage after filleting on a fish like John Dory. I bought Hake instead, superb value fish very under used in the UK

This is so true. There can't be many places where people are so ultra-conservative about food. Even when you go to a fishmonger (and there aren't many of them) you don't actually see much that resembles a fish.

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

She didn't say that though, she said they want to maintain EU trade but also get more people eating fish domestically.

Anyway judging from this article (vet checks needed on live exports) the shellfish sector is done anyway. Hope you like dropping your own creels:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/13/fresh-seafood-exports-scotland-eu-halted-fishing-brexit

I'm quoting the linked article.

Screenshot_20210113-191113.png