Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Tory boy on Daily Politics arguing for our passports to go back to being blue to give us National identity.
Bloody Nationalists.

Amazing this is given any time, when the line from the government yesterday as the SNP's motion on reducing the size of the Lords was defeated as it's "not a priority in this parliament".

3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

To be fair once we leave that will be by far the largest English-speaking member of the bloc gone, so I would suspect some French politicians would be quite keen to reinstate French as the lingua franca of the EU.  Doubt given the global predominance of English at the present it will happen but you can see why they'd try anyway.

This didn't surprise me at all:

Many British diplomats in Brussels are fluent in French but ministers and Whitehall officials share with their fellow Britons the distinction of being among the poorest linguists in Europe.

On more serious matters the mood music from Brussels is all still overwhelmingly hostile but I'm sure it's all just bluff and bluster.

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

That is childish posturing from Barnier as this para shows.

"Using French marks a shift away from standard practice among multinational teams in Brussels, where French lost its status to English as the EU's main working language after northern and eastern states joine'd in the past two decades. Even officials from the EU's founding powers France and Germany now communicate with each other mainly in English."

English is used by the Commission and Council officials, most of whom speak English but not French. 

4 minutes ago, Redstarstranraer said:

In all seriousness how would you know?

I have worked in Brussels and dealt with the Eurocrats. English is the dominant language, much to the annoyance of the French. The Eastern Europeans in particular don't speak French. 

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

100% true - lobbying on proposed directives and regulations. 

Typically, baseless accusations like that is the best that you and the Morton Minter can offer.

In your world im sure its all true there champ

57 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I have worked in Brussels and dealt with the Eurocrats. 

Was this before or after you worked in the city?

( Mind you it was never made clear whether as a barman in The Horseshoe or a barista at Starbucks )