Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

A hard border doesn't do the RoI any favours either. But I suppose the EU will be quite willing to screw over one of their minor members in order to "teach leavers a lesson".

Daily Mail reader found.

WTF do you expect the other countries to do?  “Oh they want to leave, let’s bend over backwards to help them!”

25 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

A hard border doesn't do the RoI any favours either. But I suppose the EU will be quite willing to screw over one of their minor members in order to "teach leavers a lesson".

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Daily Mail reader found.

WTF do you expect the other countries to do?  “Oh they want to leave, let’s bend over backwards to help them!”

No

Second point - no. I repeat - "A hard border does the RoI no favours either." Maybe you could address that point rather than throw out gratuitous insults, although that seems to be your modus operandi.

And I'm quite sure the EU would sacrifice the needs of the RoI to make a point to anyone else thinking of leaving.

The UK and RoI governments will talk to each other outwith the Brexit negotiations and get something agreeable to both sides which the RoI will then put to the EU. I suppose this compromise would have to be acceptable to unionists.or more accurately the DUP, to keep May in government, but the DUP would want a Westminster election as much as the Conservatives would, so satisfying the DUP might not be the government's highest priority.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

No

Second point - no. I repeat - "A hard border does the RoI no favours either." Maybe you could address that point rather than throw out gratuitous insults, although that seems to be your modus operandi.

And I'm quite sure the EU would sacrifice the needs of the RoI to make a point to anyone else thinking of leaving.

The UK and RoI governments will talk to each other outwith the Brexit negotiations and get something agreeable to both sides which the RoI will then put to the EU. I suppose this compromise would have to be acceptable to unionists.or more accurately the DUP, to keep May in government, but the DUP would want a Westminster election as much as the Conservatives would, so satisfying the DUP might not be the government's highest priority.

Wow.  It’s not gratuitous insults, the fact that you think so shows how divorced from reality you are.

The EU has lots of hard borders with non-EU countries.  The Tories, and you apparently, think they should apply different rules for Northern Ireland.

Have you any idea how ridiculous that is!

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

If it's a hard border, it's a hard border.

It's the RoI that wants different rules for Northern Ireland.

The RoI are trying, vainly, to be pragmatic.  The “it will hurt them more than it hits us” approach is fucking pitiful.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The RoI are trying, vainly, to be pragmatic.  The “it will hurt them more than it hits us” approach is fucking pitiful.

Is that not the EU's attitude, according to you?

I have at no point said "It will hurt them more than it hurts us". *

* And I'm not advocating taking that stance, unless it's just a negotiating tactic, and even then, two could play that game.

Edited by Jacksgranda

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think you just want to turn this into another turgid unionist vs nationalist argument? The natural place for the hard border that is the logical outcome of the hard Brexit that UKIP campaigned for and the Tories have now adopted as their own posture is the line on the map between NI-RoI, because the UK being partially in and mostly out of the EU customs union would be bizarre to say the least. The DUP were crazy to back Brexit, because it has created rational arguments for UI where there were none before and provided Westminster politicians with a motivation to want to jettison NI in future rather than the recent scenario of largely ignoring it, but they probably expected Remain to win like most people did.  

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Wow.  It’s not gratuitous insults, the fact that you think so shows how divorced from reality you are.

The EU has lots of hard borders with non-EU countries.  The Tories, and you apparently, think they should apply different rules for Northern Ireland.

Have you any idea how ridiculous that is!

58 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So is it the Tories, me or the RoI who want different rules for Northern Ireland? Or all three? Or only one?

35 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I think you just want to turn this into another turgid unionist vs nationalist argument? The natural place for the hard border that is the logical outcome of the hard Brexit that UKIP campaigned for and the Tories have now adopted as their own posture is the line on the map between NI-RoI, because the UK being partially in and mostly out of the EU customs union would be bizarre to say the least. The DUP were crazy to back Brexit, because it has created rational arguments for UI where there were none before and provided Westminster politicians with a motivation to want to jettison NI in future rather than the recent scenario of largely ignoring it, but they probably expected Remain to win like most people did.  

Very true, but as you say, nobody expected "Leave" to win.

A 55% - 45% majority either way should have been built into the referendum.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Very true, but as you say, nobody expected "Leave" to win.

A 55% - 45% majority either way should have been built into the referendum.

Sorry but that’s a deflection post that makes no sense.

20 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Brexit means warmest winter ever.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Think JLD is thinking about the comparison with an indyref win.

I'd go with a 55 - 45 margin there, too, and also in a reunification vote for Ireland, but as I understand it, any border poll for reunification just requires 50% + 1, and can't now be changed. Don't know the "rules" re Scottish independence vote.

The EU insisted that Montenegro had to have 55% saying yes before they would be recognised as an independent state, so there's a precedent for it in European terms. It helps to move things into settled will sort of territory and limits the danger that the electorate changes its mind on something that fundamental every time there is a general election.

Why not? Would you have been happy with 50% +1? 52 - 48 is a wee bit close on such a big decision.

If you start adopting thresholds then I think it undermines democracy. Only adults (albeit 16+ in indy ref) get the vote + If people feel strongly about a subject they vote. A mature society needs to accept the majority. With regards to a second independence vote I do believe there should be a repeat, only due to a fairly significant material change.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-23/u-k-faces-longest-fall-in-living-standards-since-records-began?utm_content=brexit&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-facebook-brexit

The group also estimated that the OBR’s forecast showed on a 10-year rolling basis that productivity growth will fall to 0.1 percent by the end of 2017. That makes it the worst decade for productivity since 1812, when Napoleon invaded Russia.

It also calculated wages will not return to their pre-financial crisis levels of 2007 until at least 2025 once inflation is taken into account. Average annual pay is now projected to be 1,030 pounds lower in 2022 than the March forecasts and household disposable incomes will fall for an unprecedented 19 straight quarters between 2015 and 2020, according to Resolution.

Britain lol. Get in the sea.