Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

“You’re going to jump off a bridge to your certain death?”
”Yes.”
”Do you want to?”
”No, but I’ve told folk I will and now feel obliged to follow through with it.”

It's not quite like that. It's more that you've been told to jump off the bridge by 17 million people. You have little say in the matter. You can choose how you jump off the bridge.

Rees-Mogg is now pretending (on Marr) that a border in Ireland would be entirely the political choice of the EU and RoI, that they don’t legally need to build one, and that the UK would never suggest one. Putting aside the fact he’s lying, why, then, did the UK government claim that an iScotland would legally require a border that the Scottish government doesn’t want?

Because unionist politicians during the 2014 indy reference were lying c***s

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It's not quite like that. It's more that you've been told to jump off the bridge by 17 million people. You have little say in the matter. You can choose how you jump off the bridge.

You also had 16 million telling you not to be so daft. It would only be sensible to ask the 17 million if they'd reconsider after seeing how far the drop is and the pointy rocks below.

You also had 16 million telling you not to be so daft. It would only be sensible to ask the 17 million if they'd reconsider after seeing how far the drop is and the pointy rocks below.

I'm all in favour of referendums for everything. However, I feel the result has to stand for a wee while. Possibly even enact the wishes of the vote that wins the day, on occasion.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The face saving way out is leaving the EU, but staying in the EEA Norway style with the four freedoms intact. The reason it isn't happening is that it would split the Tories and reinvigorate UKIP again and that potentially paves the way for Corbyn to win the next election. Politics is a cynical business sometimes. Formerly pro-Remain Tory politicians like Ruth Davidson should come under greater pressure to explain whether they are going along with a disastrous hard Brexit out of sheer selfish careerism at this point or a sudden change of heart since the referendum, because a small group of pro-remain Tories emerging with the courage to act in the national interest even if it means falling on the sword a bit in political terms is probably the only hope at this point.

I heard Jeremy Hunt say on the Peston programme today that if we don't get behind Theresa May and her negotiating team " there will be no Brexit" . Lets keep in front of her I say. JRM also said Irish politics was very complicated and the Deputy Prime minister was facing a vote of no confidence. I thought she had stood down so is he behind the news curve?( Might be me!)

The hard Brexiteers will be loving this.

‘Can’t agree a solution on the Irish border?  Fine, just leave and don’t pay any money’

I can then see many of the Tories’ financial backers in finance and industry who realise the implications of a hard Brexit turning the screws.

I’m off to buy shares in Butterkist.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They are also saying it is not so windy down there, there is a lovely beach to walk along, the water is nice and warm and so you just need to ignore all this talk about parachutes or some other means to break your fall.  Once you get down there the pain will be worth it.

Edited by Fullerene

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I'm all in favour of referendums for everything. However, I feel the result has to stand for a wee while. Possibly even enact the wishes of the vote that wins the day, on occasion.

By the time Brexit actually happens it will be as long as the time between general elections. An opportunity to reconsider after all that has come to light would the normal way democracy works. 

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Referendums are all very well in primitive, bead rattling tribes.

They are NOT a way of deciding things in modern society.

That's what parliamentary democracy is for. ( Imperfect as it is )

1 minute ago, WILLIEA said:

I hope you don't mean in RC countries...

By the time Brexit actually happens it will be as long as the time between general elections. An opportunity to reconsider after all that has come to light would the normal way democracy works. 

Fine. I'm a pushover, though. Those wankbag politicians are the ones you need to convince. Shouldn't take much convincing. They are a shower of useless, lazy c***s and Brexit seems like an awful lot of hard work and general hassle.

28 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

The concept of this probably would suit my political goals, nonetheless I disagree.  I think referenda are legitimate for key decisions.

We've had three in recent years. Are we primitive bead rattlers?

After seeing the standard of Parliament we have, I'd rather stick to referendums for everything.

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

We've had three in recent years. Are we primitive bead rattlers?

After seeing the standard of Parliament we have, I'd rather stick to referendums for everything.

He didn’t say countries who held them were primitive bead rattlers he said they should be restricted to the equivalent.

He didn’t say countries who held them were primitive bead rattlers he said they should be restricted to the equivalent.

So by implication, as we have had them we are a 'bead rattling tribe'. Whatever that is.

Referendums are the one true way of knowing what the public want. Much better than having some politician decide for you.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

So by implication, as we have had them we are a 'bead rattling tribe'. Whatever that is.

Referendums are the one true way of knowing what the public want. Much better than having some politician decide for you.

No.

The ability to read is, in itself, a limited gift.  You have to be able to interpret the words too.  :)