Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The hardcore Brexiteers will think that's unenforceable if we just go for a hard brexit and decline to accept the authority of the European Courts.

Sadly it doesn't work like that.

If we agree to this deal then the civil service will refuse to implement any policy that violates it.

Just now, zidane's child said:

Predictions for who will resign this afternoon?

You'd think Liam Fox who will be pointless if we stay in a Customs Union, during the transition at least, but I think he's too fond of his Ministerial perks. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sadly it doesn't work like that.

If we agree to this deal then the civil service will refuse to implement any policy that violates it.

If we just walk away and go by WTO rules then there's nothing anyone can do about it. The Civil Service will do what they're told. The agreement is only the conditions the EU are demanding before negotiating a free trade deal, if we walk the agreement doesn't apply anymore.

Edited by welshbairn

They're looking for a lot more than dual language signs.
They want people to be able to access services etc in Irish. So courts, doctor's surgeries, all government departments would have to have Irish speakers on their staff (there are no doubt Irish speakers in some of these places already but many more would now be needed). All forms would have to be in Irish too. 
However I'm sure if somebody was dying of a heart attack their culturally oppressed family wouldn't insist on the ambulance driver being an Irish speaker.

Similar to Wales then (but in Welsh obviously).

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You'd think Liam Fox who will be pointless if we stay in a Customs Union, during the transition at least, but I think he's too fond of his Ministerial perks. 

NSFW forum for that sort of chat...

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

It doesn't really matter though, does it? PMQs has been a marginally less minter of a charade than QT for years. It's for the commentariat to sound off about and nobody else.

Indeed. Blackford got his sound bite out, I think that’s all they come to expect from these things.

Similar to Wales then (but in Welsh obviously).

Nah the comparison is almost a fifth of the population people of Wales regularly speaking/using the Welsh Language with less than 0.3% of the population of Northern Ireland *speaking the Irish Language.

That’s some considerable difference.

(*Actually using the language on a day to day basis, not just the ability to speak it or have a limited command of it).

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

Kevin Schofield saying on Twitter that David Mundell is likely to resign. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it, but it would put Ruth in quite the spot. 

I’m always wary of ‘medical breakthroughs’ but if Fluffy could grow a spine that would be truly miraculous.

8 minutes ago, Kejan said:

The 'Scottish' Tories will not do anything. Mundell or Davidson might come out with some pish about the CFP but they'll do squat and vote for the deal. 

Just shows what you know then...they've sent a letter.  :)