Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I don't think so. JRM and his cronies are simply the vanguard of bampottery. The Brexiteer elite are still waiting it out in the cabinet and won't make a move until they are sure they have a chance of victory.

She would easily win a confidence vote so it's easier to make her resign by defeating the deal. Then rally behind Gove/Javid/Raab/Fox.

Yep it’s the ones like Gove that didn’t blow their load last week that are to be watched. Theresa May is fucking hopeless though. Surely a canny political operator would’ve outsourced the task of devising Brexit to civil servants or outside organisations so that the Tories could ride out the storm that a shite deal would create.

While its hilarious watching Rees-Smug being humiliated by over-playing his hand, it highlights what an inept coward May has been.
The strength of the extreme right-wing element of the Tory party has been shown to be nothing more than smoke and mirrors, greatly exaggerated by Brexit supporting newspapers.
If May had realised this from the beginning, we could have been heading for a reasonably sensible deal where we remained in the single market  and where the economic and social damage to the country was kept to a minimum.
If she's faced down the nutcases from the beginning, we could have had a (very) soft Brexit deal that may well have been acceptable to most.
Instead we've had 2 years of powerless ideologues controlling the direction we're heading in.
F*ck the Tories.
Too fucking scared of tax avoiders like Rupert Murdoch.

51 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Yep it’s the ones like Gove that didn’t blow their load last week that are to be watched. Theresa May is fucking hopeless though. Surely a canny political operator would’ve outsourced the task of devising Brexit to civil servants or outside organisations so that the Tories could ride out the storm that a shite deal would create.

Which she did. Am I being whooshed again?

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

As things stand those in Parliament who oppose May’s proposal include the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the Greens, the Lib Dem’s, Labour, the DUP, a large section of Tory Brexiteers and a fair section or Tory Remainers.

The only people who would prefer a ‘No Deal’ option are a relatively small number of hard line Tory nutters.

If the official opposition cannot use this reality to stymie May then Corbyn should be pilloried by his own supporters including his loyalists.

Oh dear.  Not another "Come on Jeremy, seize the moment."  Is anybody keeping count?
How many chances does he get?

Much though I might agree with him on a lot of things - he is incredibly weak and utterly frustrating to watch.

Oh dear.  Not another "Come on Jeremy, seize the moment."  Is anybody keeping count?
How many chances does he get?
Much though I might agree with him on a lot of things - he is incredibly weak and utterly frustrating to watch.
The more I see of Corbyn the more I marvel at how such an uninspiring, vacillating, Pooterish individual came to be leader of The Labour Party.

If, and it's a huge if, he ever became PM it would be the most ill-fitting appointment since Franck Sauzee's car crash at Hibs.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Spain putting the kibosh on the EU sign off.  Popcorn and sangria time.

Qualified majority so Spain on their own couldn't stop it. France, Belgium, Denmark and Holland joining them in demanding continued access to UK waters for fishing could be more of a problem.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Qualified majority so Spain on their own couldn't stop it. France, Belgium, Denmark and Holland joining them in demanding continued access to UK waters for fishing could be more of a problem.

The final agreement needs unanimous approval.  This will probably stop a sign off on Sunday as the U.K. will want to minimise problems down the line.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

The final agreement needs unanimous approval.  This will probably stop a sign off on Sunday as the U.K. will want to minimise problems down the line.

Not a lawyer, but I don't think it does.

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

My understanding is you require all 27 EU members to agree. Spain on its own can veto

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I read that as a qualified majority of the withdrawal but not of future arrangement.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I read that as a qualified majority of the withdrawal but not of future arrangement.

The future arrangement won't be voted on till 2020-2022 AFAIK. It's not a legal document, just a preparatory framework for discussions after we leave. 

Edited by welshbairn

9 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/02/britain-and-eu-worse-off-without-brexit-deal-says-michael-fallon

Remember when Michael Howard said we should start a war with Spain over Gibraltar?

so many downright lunatics in the current Tory party that seems almost moderate these days

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The future arrangement won't be voted on till 2020-2022 AFAIK. It's not a legal document, just a preparatory framework for discussions after we leave. 

Yeah and to repeat my point I think May will want to minimise any future problems.  That might delay the signing on Sunday.

Alternately she can ignore Spain and reap the issues further down the line.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah and to repeat my point I think May will want to minimise any future problems.  That might delay the signing on Sunday.

Alternately she can ignore Spain and reap the issues further down the line.

She'll have retired to an EU safe haven by then, probably a French Caribbean island. 

Edited by welshbairn