Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

A 2 and half minute video discussing the possibility of Lexit on the BBC last night has the Meltdom in uproar.
The only Marxists allowed on TV seem to be young women in their 20s but Grace is doing a good job.

I genuinely didn’t know Andrew Neil was the editor of the Sunday Times during its AIDS denialism phase. Baffling that c**t gets so much of a free pass from liberals and centre-leftists.

5 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Didn’t realise until just the other day that you voted to leave Granny, no bother, that’s up to you, but you seem to be wallowing in the shitfest that has ensued? I just don’t get it. Is it a case of bringing the whole house of cards down to further independence? Serious question? If not, surely you’re not advocating that JC can (or really wants to) turn this around?

Eh?

Where did he say that?

6 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Didn’t realise until just the other day that you voted to leave Granny, no bother, that’s up to you, but you seem to be wallowing in the shitfest that has ensued? I just don’t get it. Is it a case of bringing the whole house of cards down to further independence? Serious question? If not, surely you’re not advocating that JC can (or really wants to) turn this around?

I was open about at the time and the reasons for doing so.  I have also on various occasions admitted that it was a stupid thing to do regardless of the reasons for doing it.  There’s a couple of posters who mention it as a personal dig without mentioning the context but hey ho.

I think there are many Leave voters who would now vote Remain. 

I don’t get the argument that it was a democratic vote 2 years ago when people didn’t understand the implications but it would be an undemocratic vote now when people do understand the implications.  

The reason I don’t get the argument is, of course, because it’s bullshit.

58 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I was open about at the time and the reasons for doing so.  I have also on various occasions admitted that it was a stupid thing to do regardless of the reasons for doing it.  There’s a couple of posters who mention it as a personal dig without mentioning the context but hey ho.

I think there are many Leave voters who would now vote Remain. 

I don’t get the argument that it was a democratic vote 2 years ago when people didn’t understand the implications but it would be an undemocratic vote now when people do understand the implications.  

The reason I don’t get the argument is, of course, because it’s bullshit.

Not a single person who voted leave thought that it would mean this kind of leave

Not a single person who voted leave thought that it would mean this kind of leave
I don't wholly agree; there would be many Leave voters who did some sort of balanced analysis, but there would also be a considerable number who have nothing and therefore had nothing to lose by kicking out at politicians, the EU, the UK Government, that Slovenian family down the road who got new curtains and whoever, whatever.
I'm not saying this glibly as I've spoken with a few of the 'f**k It' tendency, ironically most of whom admitted that they never normally vote. The flip side of that coin is that there were millions of lazy 'Remainers' who never got off their arse as they made a horrible miscalculation.

8 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

A lot of people voted Leave as some sort of protest vote - safe in the knowledge than Remain would win comfortably.

Oops.

I know a fair few people who did this. I also know a few people in the fishing industry who voted leave and its starting to dawn on them the tories might shaft them(again).

Staying in the EU is more important than Indy for Scotland imo and I would welcome another vote on it when the terms are clear.

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I genuinely didn’t know Andrew Neil was the editor of the Sunday Times during its AIDS denialism phase. Baffling that c**t gets so much of a free pass from liberals and centre-leftists.

As a liberal and centre-leftist the man's a c**t and always has been. I remember him saying in the 80's that closing the mines, steelyards and heavy industry wouldn't be a problem as everyone could work from home on their Sinclair computers, and could all live in country cottages as there would be no need to be close to work. He couldn't explain what they would actually be doing to make a living, and was widely ridiculed.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

A lot of people voted Leave as some sort of protest vote - safe in the knowledge than Remain would win comfortably.

Oops.

A lot of people didn't know what they were voting for although I wouldn't recommend saying that in any of the pubs in the Burnley area.

Johnboy

c/o  Burnley General Hospital, Burnley

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

A lot of people didn't know what they were voting for although I wouldn't recommend saying that in any of the pubs in the Burnley area.

Johnboy

c/o

Burnley General Hospital

Burnley

Did the people who voted to remain know what they were voting for? Did they have all the intricate details on the EU legislation and their future plans?

Or could it be that actually nobody had a clue what they were voting for one way or the other? Which was completely irrelevant anyway, as the leave vote had already been decided years before the actual referendum.

5 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Did the people who voted to remain know what they were voting for? Did they have all the intricate details on the EU legislation and their future plans?

Or could it be that actually nobody had a clue what they were voting for one way or the other? Which was completely irrelevant anyway, as the leave vote had already been decided years before the actual referendum.

I think they had more of an idea that voting Remain was not going to lead to utter chaos. The UK has done very well out of EU membership over the years, and Scotland, in particular, has benefitted enormously from free movement.

19 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I think they had more of an idea that voting Remain was not going to lead to utter chaos. The UK has done very well out of EU membership over the years, and Scotland, in particular, has benefitted enormously from free movement.

You are looking at it from one side though. Clearly those who voted to leave didn't care much for free movement. To say they didn't know what they voted for is a bit of an insult. It's easy to say that about anyone in any kind of vote, when they don't vote what you voted for.

2 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

You are looking at it from one side though. Clearly those who voted to leave didn't care much for free movement. To say they didn't know what they voted for is a bit of an insult. It's easy to say that about anyone in any kind of vote, when they don't vote what you voted for.

I have no doubt that many Leave voters voted according to what they were promised during the referendum campaign, but much of that was never going to happen.

In other words they may have thought they knew what they were voting for.

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I have no doubt that many Leave voters voted according to what they were promised during the referendum campaign, but much of that was never going to happen.

A lot of promises were made to NO voters in the 2014 Scottish referendum and despite pretty much all of these promises being torn up within an hour after the result, the polls still won't budge 4 years on, despite everything that has happened.

You don't know why people voted the way they did, you just presume to know why.

Edited by BawWatchin

I still don’t know what Remainers, or at least the prominent ones in the media, have as a response to the obvious deep rooted anger at Westminster that manifested itself in 2016. Cancelling Brexit and pretending we can stick to the status quo isn’t going to resolve anything.

I think a lot of leave voters know that there will be short term difficulties, in some cases quite major ones. But adjustments will be made, and they see long term benefits of getting away from the EU and its laws.