Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

15 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Makes you wish for the good old days...

Always thought that was a remarkably inoffensive comment to walk out of an interview over. It says more about John Nott's fragility than Robin Day's questioning.

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Indeed.

Bring back the old style interviewers :

Highly amusing that Michael Howard, highlighted here as a duplicitous political snake who didn't dare answer a simple fucking question, would have his career ruined to the extent that he would...err...go on to lead his party  :lol:

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Labour will be decimated at the next election if they support Brexit according to a new poll.  Also they will lose a huge number of members.

Maybe not enough to persuade Corbyn but others in the Shadow Cabinet including his loyalists may be inclined to pay attention.

I’m a member and I’ve decided that if a number of Labour MP’s vote for May’s deal next week then I’m cancelling my membership.

Regardless of who is in charge, I can’t support a party which continually votes with the Tories.

28 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

I’m a member and I’ve decided that if a number of Labour MP’s vote for May’s deal next week then I’m cancelling my membership.

Regardless of who is in charge, I can’t support a party which continually votes with the Tories.

That’s a principled stance but if some Labour MPs defy the whip and vote with the Tories then the Labour Party as a whole is not to blame.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah but tha doesn’t negate @ICTJohnboy point.  Piss poor effort from Marr, not a surprise but shows him as a toady rather than a serious interviewer/commentator.

I've been amazed for years how Marr's Sunday morning show is somehow seen as a bellwether of UK Politics; it is invariably an anodyne knockabout session for bleary-eyed politicians and journos and serves little purpose other than to allow every BBC television and radio news programme of the remainder of that day to shamelessly namecheck their own in-house programme.

I did however see enough of today's effort to spot two Corbynesque oewn goals from Marr, viz.

1.  To Sarah Vine accentuating the perils of a hard Brexit - 'well, had your lying, duplicitous, backstabbing c**t of a husband not helped lead into this debacle we need never be discussing this....'

2.  To Theresa May droning on about her deal - 'If you are so convinced of it's merits then why did you pull the vote on the fucker weeks back ?'

I understand Labour bemoaning the backstop to cosy up to the DUP, but it would be very close to what Corbyn claims to want. Remaining in the Customs Union and Single Market without freedom of movement or paying anything in, indefinitely. What's not to like?

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

People in Northern Ireland being subject to EU laws without any democratic representation in the EU or any viable way of ending EU control?

You mean like Norway and Switzerland but without paying in or having freedom of movement? How dreadful.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You mean like Norway and Switzerland but without paying in or having freedom of movement? How dreadful.

They are represented in the EFTA/EEA. Nothing similar has been suggested for NI.

They are also sovereign states who can leave whenever they want.

Marr was probably knew that May just repeats the same lines and won't answer "what ifs" so why have her on at all. I was answering  her questions before she did  with the usual phrases.  I was more taken aback by the labour guy getting upset at being portrayed as " enabling" Brexit; surely that is what the Labour position is on getting a better deal with different red lines? That would still be leaving membership of the EU.

55 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

What number are you thinking of - 1, 2, 10, 20, 100?

8 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Marr was probably knew that May just repeats the same lines and won't answer "what ifs" so why have her on at all. I was answering  her questions before she did  with the usual phrases.  I was more taken aback by the labour guy getting upset at being portrayed as " enabling" Brexit; surely that is what the Labour position is on getting a better deal with different red lines? That would still be leaving membership of the EU.

Except they've got the same red lines, that's what's daft about their position. Plus getting rid of the rules on state subsidies.

On 1/4/2019 at 22:20, theawaysection said:

That might sound crass and of course there are people in Scotland who 'dinna like immigrants' but Scotland overwhelmingly voted to remain. 

That's reminded me of a court report from the Dundee Courier from some years ago, concerning a young man appearing in court having been accused of throwing a half brick at the window of a bus leaving Kennoway, bound for Windygates, thus injuring 2 passengers and damaging the bus.

Asked by the magistrate if he could explain his actions to the court he replied that :

"He didnae like folk from Windygates."

(Kennoway and Windygates are about 2 miles apart)

Edited by ICTJohnboy

51 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

That's reminded me of a court report from the Dundee Courier from some years ago, concerning a young man appearing in court having been accused of throwing a half brick at the window of a bus leaving Kennoway, bound for Windygates, thus injuring 2 passengers and damaging the bus.

Asked by the magistrate if he could explain his actions to the court he replied that :

"He didnae like folk from Windygates."

(Kennoway and Windygates are about 2 miles apart)

Bazzas 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Except they've got the same red lines, that's what's daft about their position. Plus getting rid of the rules on state subsidies.

Red lines which were explicitly taken from the promises from the Leave campaign and, hence, are knowingly undeliverable for May.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Red lines which were explicitly taken from the promises from the Leave campaign and, hence, are knowingly undeliverable for May.

Corbyn has repeatedly said he wants no freedom of movement and rule taking. That makes a Customs Union impossible.