Left handed people

Romeo

Left handed people are superior to right handed people  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I write with my left-hand and play snooker with my left hand. All other "sports" I play right-handed. I'd say I'm left-footed, although I'm so crap at football I don't think it makes much difference.

Another pain being a leftie at school was ring-binders... I wish I'd had one of these. 

41PA3EG7P8L._SX300_.jpg

Good call but when I was at skool I dinnae think ring-binders were invented.

I got a skelp on the lug every time I wrote left-handed.

Admittedly I'm writing with an auld fashioned pen and ink.

After penning my masterpiece and moving on tae the opposite page my workmanship would be smudged with my left fore-arm.

Nowadays it would be considered art :lol:

5 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Good call but when I was at skool I dinnae think ring-binders were invented.

I got a skelp on the lug every time I wrote left-handed.

Admittedly I'm writing with an auld fashioned pen and ink.

After penning my masterpiece and moving on tae the opposite page my workmanship would be smudged with my left fore-arm.

Nowadays it would be considered art :lol:

I'm guessing I'm younger than you, although I did go to a school where they insisted we write with fountain pens. To get round the smudge problem, I put the paper at a 90 degree angle, which works fine but looks decidedly odd. And I still do it to this day. 

I am randomly left handed within my family and have a right handed wife and son.
I was recently told that if two left handed partners have children then each and every one of them is guaranteed to be left handed due to the genetics involved.
Anyone able to confirm or debunk this?

I am randomly left handed within my family and have a right handed wife and son.
I was recently told that if two left handed partners have children then each and every one of them is guaranteed to be left handed due to the genetics involved.
Anyone able to confirm or debunk this?

Nope, not as simple as that. Only a quarter of children with two left handed parents will end up being left handed.

How does it work?

(Or is it far too complicated to explain)?

Handedness only has a heritability value of about 20%, which leaves the other 80% to be made up of potential factors such has individual variation (what keeps humans surviving, basically), and also overall body/brain asymmetry.

Everyone has a dominant overall side to their body, one that is better developed (this includes the brain). Nobody knows why the body develops like this however; an individual with a left-sided dominant body will most likely have a right-sided dominant brain hemisphere, and vice-versa.

But to be concise, nae c**t has a real clue. We only know genetics plays a small role.

1 minute ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I'm guessing I'm younger than you, although I did go to a school where they insisted we write with fountain pens. To get round the smudge problem, I put the paper at a 90 degree angle, which works fine but looks decidedly odd. And I still do it to this day. 

I was born the day they relieved Stalingrad so I'm probably a wee bit aulder than you.

I do have bad memories of writing in primary school.

I developed a stutter and my hand writing is comparable with a doctors hand-written prescription.

In fact I don't write I always use block letters.

Course, thank gawd for the keyboard.

Now we're all equal :thumsup2

Just now, Wee Willie said:

Actually, when it comes to keyboards, this is one of the few areas where lefties have an advantage over the right-handed sheeple. This is because most of the common-letters are typed with the left-hand (early typewriters were actually designed to prevent people from typing too quickly as the keys would become jammed). 

17 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

10 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Actually, when it comes to keyboards, this is one of the few areas where lefties have an advantage over the right-handed sheeple. This is because most of the common-letters are typed with the left-hand (early typewriters were actually designed to prevent people from typing too quickly as the keys would become jammed). 

Tae quote G. Orwell 'some are mair equal than others'  and tae quote M. Caine 'not a lotta people ken that:thumsup2

I was born a rightie but due to my antiauthoritarianism I made myself a leftie, well that an a wee accident when I was a teenager. Since then I have denounced all that is rightie, I've even developed a sweet left peg but my (hateful) rightie peg likes to dominate my sweet leftie peg, the b*****d.

'Mon the lefties, paws n pegs! 

G-Bo(re)

#LeftHandMatters