Left handed people

Romeo

Left handed people are superior to right handed people  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I consider myself left-handed.

I write with my left, use my left hand for tasks like using a spoon, brushing teeth, throwing a ball, screwdriver & hammer, lifting a pint. If punching I'd lead with my left every time. My right hand is used for tasks where a lack of access to left handed tools means I've had to use my right and gotten used to it - scissors etc. although there are oddities like cutting with a knife or saw which is always do right handed.

My gran was left handed, but those who ran her school (nuns - and this was in the 1930s!) believed that was a sign of the devil, and made her use her right. She was later able to write with either hand without thinking about it. My dad reckons he was left handed but she made him use his right at an early age, which would explain his generally messy handwriting.

In recent years, being left-handed does improve your chances of becoming President of the USA

Barack Obama - left handed
George W Bush - right handed
Bill Clinton - left handed
George H Bush - left handed
Ronald Reagan - ambidextrous
Jimmy Carter - left handed

18 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In recent years, being left-handed does improve your chances of becoming President of the USA

Barack Obama - left handed
George W Bush - right handed
Bill Clinton - left handed
George H Bush - left handed
Ronald Reagan - ambidextrous
Jimmy Carter - left handed

Pish. George Bush couldn't write.

According to the theory of natural selection being ambidextrous was a disadvantage.
In days gone by, a hunter who was better with his right hand would always throw a spear with his right hand and get good at it.
Similarly a hunter who was left-handed.
However, a hunter who was ambidextrous would sometimes use his left hand, sometimes his right and never get good with either.
Then he would get eaten by a lion or tiger or something like that.

Maybe less of a problem nowadays.

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

In Polo, you also have to say things like
"Oh I Say" and "Spiffing" and "Crikey"

I think I would rather be left handed (although I'm not)

Without wanting to stray too far from the original (and excellent) topic, we might be a bit shite at football, but Scotland won the Elephant Polo World Championships in both 2001 and 2004. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4073353.stm

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

I consider myself left-handed.

I write with my left, use my left hand for tasks like spoon burning, brushing teeth, throwing a ball, screwdriver & hammer, lifting a pint. If punching I'd lead with my left every time. My right hand is used for tasks where a lack of access to left handed tools means I've had to use my right and gotten used to it - scissors etc. although there are oddities like cutting with a knife or saw which is always do right handed.

My gran was left handed, but those who ran her school (nuns - and this was in the 1930s!) believed that was a sign of the devil, and made her use her right. She was later able to write with either hand without thinking about it. My dad reckons he was left handed but she made him use his right at an early age, which would explain his generally messy handwriting.

Is your pal VT aware of your spoon behaviour?

More excellent skill that your left handed overlords are capable of. 

"Lefties have got some cool abilities! Lefties can see better underwater, they recover from strokes quicker and a left handed person’s left hand nails will grow faster than their right ones. (Well, turns out, nails always grow faster on a person’s dominant hand!)"

roon yees, right handed fuds..:thumsup2

10 hours ago, Romeo said:

The gear sticks that tend to be on your left...?

Most of these devices have been deliberately designed by right handed people in a deliberate attempt to upset left handed people.

Yet we still became superior and thrive. So this left handed apartheid will not work.

More excellent skill that your left handed overlords are capable of. 

"Lefties have got some cool abilities! Lefties can see better underwater, they recover from strokes quicker and a left handed person’s left hand nails will grow faster than their right ones. (Well, turns out, nails always grow faster on a person’s dominant hand!)"

roon yees, right handed fuds..:thumsup2

The stroke recovery "ability" depends on which part of the brain the clot occurs; even then handedness has a very slight, if negligible effect on recovery. Universally the ability to recover from a stroke is way more apparent in young people, as their brain plasticity is at its peak compared to old cloggers in their 50s and 60s.