Grammar Schools in Scotland?

The_Kincardine

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's primary school. Or it was in my day.

No hard division.  I've mentioned this before but my son laughed like a drain in his first week at 'big school' over the sentence, "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".  "What is a grammar school mate?" is in the same category.

No hard division.  I've mentioned this before but my son laughed like a drain in his first week at 'big school' over the sentence, "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".  "What is a grammar school mate?" is in the same category.

Missing a wee comma yourself in that first sentence.
I don't know what a grammar school is? It's a fairly reasonable question; yet your paucity in answer would indicate you haven't got a clue.

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Missing a wee comma yourself in that first sentence.
I don't know what a grammar school is? It's a fairly reasonable question; yet your paucity in answer would indicate you haven't got a clue.

My first sentence was, "No hard division".  Not sure where a comma would fit in.

I know what grammar schools are - my son goes to one.  I'm not sure if you're just be awkward or simply thick.

My first sentence was, "No hard division".  Not sure where a comma would fit in.

I know what grammar schools are - my son goes to one.  I'm not sure if you're just be awkward or simply thick.

I was actually referring to your first proper sentence. Unlike you, I don't know what a grammar school is, hence I am asking?

On 14/09/2016 at 11:04, John Lambies Doos said:

So, it was a genuine question. Obviously you don't know. Fine

I refuse to believe that you don't know what a grammar school is.

It is a state funded secondary school whose admissions are determined by an examination taken at the age of 11.

41 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

I refuse to believe that you don't know what a grammar school is.

It is a state funded secondary school whose admissions are determined by an examination taken at the age of 11.

Has that changed? I took them at 13; second year of secondary school. Maybe it varies between counties.

There wasn't a specific exam either; they just looked at your grades at the end of second year and those with the highest scores were 'promoted'.

Edit: this was about twenty-five years ago, so probably out of date  :P

7 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Which do not and never have existed in Scotland.  Obviously everyone in Scotland should know what they are, if you're a raging britnat.  

Clearly everyone in England knows we do highers here not gcses,  oooh what's that they don't,  well aren't you full of shirt.   Quelle surprise. 

Wrong. Grammar schools did exist in Scotland until they were phased-out in the 1980s. People like Andrew Neil famously went to Scottish grammar schools.

Everyone in England should know what qualifications Scottish school-children acquire. Otherwise they're ignorant.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Has that changed? I took them at 13; second year of secondary school. Maybe it varies between counties.

There wasn't a specific exam either; they just looked at your grades at the end of second year and those with the highest scores were 'promoted'.

It's possible that Scottish Grammar schools adopted a different system, but certainly the grammar schools that still exist in England and Northern Ireland use the 11 plus, and it is taken at the end of primary school for entry into secondary school, at the age of 11 or 12.

They don't,  almost none know we do highers,  nothing to do with ignorance simply they don'thave them n their country so why would they.  Same as we ddon't have grammar schools here so naturally a lot of people won't know what they are.  You're just trolling as usual.  Presumably you know what qualifications they do in Ireland,  or are you ignorant. 

A fib furiously googling iris qualifications. 

Just now, Ad Lib said:

It's possible that Scottish Grammar schools adopted a different system, but certainly the grammar schools that still exist in England and Northern Ireland use the 11 plus, and it is taken at the end of primary school for entry into secondary school, at the age of 11 or 12.

I went to school in England. The 11+ had been phased out by the time I went to school, although it may have been reintroduced since then. As I said, grammar schools in the area I was in started at third year, but that may have been a local authority thing.

I'd be amazed if even half of folk in England have any idea about the Scottish education system, BTW. Why would they, really; we only know so much about theirs because education news in England and Wales is reported on the news as if it affects us. I doubt all of England is au fait with the specifics of grammar schools either; the Beeb are currently running a feature about them, entitled 'Grammar Schools: What are they and why are they controversial?' and I doubt it's purely for our benefit.

They don't,  almost none know we do highers,  nothing to do with ignorance simply they don'thave them n their country so why would they.  Same as we ddon't have grammar schools here so naturally a lot of people won't know what they are.  You're just trolling as usual.  Presumably you know what qualifications they do in Ireland,  or are you ignorant. 

A fib furiously googling iris qualifications. 

I'll help ad lib on this occasion. Junior Cert and Leaving Cert.
Thanks for your response btw; my earlier questions were genuine. .. I had no idea what a grammar school was/is...certainly none when and where I was growing up...

6 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

1) Wrong. Grammar schools did exist in Scotland until they were phased-out in the 1980s. People like Andrew Neil famously went to Scottish grammar schools.

2) It's possible that Scottish Grammar schools adopted a different system,

1) Ad Lib is correct in saying that grammar schools did exist in Scotland. However, he seems to have forgot to mention that there were fewer than 10 of them across the whole ocountry 

Andrew Neil (his famous example) left school in the 1960's, and I would be surprised if there were any left by the mid-1970's, so I'm not sure where he's getting his "phased-out in the 1980's" claim from.

2) Before comprehensive education was introduced in the late 1960's, Scottish students in state schools sat "The Quali". Depending on results, they went to a Senior (6 year) Secondary or a Junior (3 year) Secondary (the Junior Secondaries were increased to 4 year schools when the leaving age was increased).

In Arbroath, for instance, the High School was the senior school and the Academy was the junior. Accordingly, everyone that passed the Qualification Exam would end up at the High School, whilst the rest would attend whichever school's catchment area they fell into.

And no, I'm not old enough to have sat any selective exams!

I started secondary school in 1974,2 years above me were the last to sit entrance exams for access to the school I went to.The Academy (Lawside) was where you went if you passed, the High Schools ( St. johns , St. Michaels , St. Saviours)were for those that didn't. So for Dundee it was very early 70's it was phased out.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2016 at 17:48, banana said:

What we need is a school system separated first by sex, then by brighteness (i.e. like grammar schools), then by religion, then by race, then by sexuality.

So for example you have thick, black, Catholic, straight women at one school; bright, white, Muslim gay men at another school, and so forth.

Getting therrrre...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/controversial-academy-trust-open-two-12117884

Archived