Monarch Airline

statts1976uk

6 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

Some strong rumours on some aviation professional web forums like Pprune that Monarch may be experiencing some imminent issues. Hope no one is likely to be caught up in this if true.

You realise if one blows up you'll be up there with ISIS on the suspects list.

My first ever flight was with Monarch - Glasgow to Orlando Sandford. Had to stop in Bangor (Maine, not Wales) as the plane was a narrowbody that couldn't fly that distance without refueling. I'm sure it was a 757. 

Hopefully they pull through. Given they don't appear to have denied they're in difficulty, stating "flights are running as normal", I'd imagine things aren't looking great. 

20 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Yep ive done the exact same flight, touched down in Bangor in the middle of some kind of airshow, was pretty cool to see. Cant remember if the plane had to refuel on the way back??

It did, yeah. 

I remember not minding too much going, but was exhausted coming back as it was a night flight (I was 8). I didn't appreciate being woken up to get off the plane!

18 hours ago, Michael W said:

My first ever flight was with Monarch - Glasgow to Orlando Sandford. Had to stop in Bangor (Maine, not Wales) as the plane was a narrowbody that couldn't fly that distance without refueling. I'm sure it was a 757. 

I had to do the same with Air2000 back in March 1994.  Bangor was fucking freezing.  Taking off and landing with snow falling was an experience.

On 26/09/2016 at 22:28, 8MileBU said:

I seen something on the Sky News app this morning suggesting they had made a statement denying they were in trouble and that they expected to make a £40m profit at the end of their financial year next month.

They could be on course to make £40m profit next month, but if they have a cashflow problem right now, still go tits up.

18 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I had to do the same with Air2000 back in March 1994.  Bangor was fucking freezing.  Taking off and landing with snow falling was an experience.

First couple of times I went to Florida it was the same. Can't remember the airline, think it was pretty standard back then (early 90's also).

On 26/09/2016 at 22:14, gavin_3110 said:

Britannia had the finest tail fin livery of all.

g-becg-britannia-airways-boeing-737-204a

Yup.  We must be of similar ages.  When my folks starting taking me on foreign trips, it was Britannia or Monarch usually.  Britannia used to give kids wee books, as I recall, so I was always happy when it was them.  And yes, the livery was cool.

I think I flew with Monarch out of Edinburgh to Heraklion in 2009. I'm not sure if Thomson were having issues with their fleet and were using Monarch to help cover flights.

Pretty decent from what I can remember.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2016 at 09:53, Rugster said:

First couple of times I went to Florida it was the same. Can't remember the airline, think it was pretty standard back then (early 90's also).

Indeed, think the narrow bodied planes are exclusively internal in the UK now? So the refuel in Maine is a thing of the past.  Could be wrong.

BA use A318 (smaller than 737s of say Ryanair and Thomson) to fly from London City to New York on the Speedbird 1 service that Concorde used to operate. 

United, Delta and American all use 757s to fly between Philadelphia, Chicago & New York and Edinburgh & Glasgow.

BA use A318 (smaller than 737s of say Ryanair and Thomson) to fly from London City to New York on the Speedbird 1 service that Concorde used to operate. 

United, Delta and American all use 757s to fly between Philadelphia, Chicago & New York and Edinburgh & Glasgow.

BA have announced that they are cutting this to only one service per day. The plane has to refuel in Ireland on the westbound. Eastbound it is done in one hop.

The last time I used it, there were 7 passengers and 4 crew. Feels like a private jet.

Archived