Nintendo Switch

bunglebonce

I had psvr (camera, move controllers etc), a 3ds, spare controllers and a load of games lying gathering dust and decided to have a clearout a few weeks ago. Decided to save myself the hassle of eBay and just chuck everything into CeX... walked back out with a switch, Mario Oddyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart Deluxe, and Zelda. Have also bought Golf Story since and would agree that its an excellent little game.

I've probably spent most time on Mario but I've played them all and there's nothing i dislike thus far.

On 11/02/2018 at 19:16, Saigon Raider said:

Picked up Golf Story for £15 the other day - it is a glorious little indie game and  I probably put 8 hours into on the first day I got it.

Also picked up Thimbleweed Park (by the guys who did Secret of Monkey Island) but not had a chance to start it yet.

Thimbleweed Park is tremendous game if you're fan of the genre. Downloaded it on pc day it came out. Try and stay away from walk throughs though, they've killed the old school point click "eureka" moments. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to find Skyrim on Switch a bit of a slog.  45-50 hours in, the characters are 2D with barely functional dialogue and the gameplay is serviceable but clunky.  Stealth sniping with a bow and arrow never stops being satisfying, but the game is too long.  The scope of the game is genuinely impressive, even in 2018, but better quality in a more compact world would have made the game age better.

I've stuck with it so far because a) the portability makes diving into it very convenient, and b) I bought it digitally so wanted my pound of flesh, which I think I've had now.  2/3 of the way into the main quest is far enough for the time being.

Playing it makes me want to bound along in Breath of the Wild, which is also a game with shallow characters with terrible acting, but at least the whole world in that is fully interactive and worth exploring.

On 2/19/2018 at 03:24, CLANCY2KTID said:

Thimbleweed Park is tremendous game if you're fan of the genre. Downloaded it on pc day it came out. Try and stay away from walk throughs though, they've killed the old school point click "eureka" moments. 

It is massively rewarding but I find it incredibly difficult. I started on the level with very few hints but I am starting to think that my brain doesn't work in the right way...

I will be honest but I am a bit of a sucker for walkthroughs as my available gaming time is very narrow - just don't have time to play through all the games I want to.

Made the mistake of buying Fifa 18 for my switch as it was only £20, the reviews had indicated it is pretty awful, didn't think it would be as bad to play as they said it was. I was wrong. 

Edited by CLANCY2KTID

I think the only game reportedly worse in terms of cross-platform franchises is WWE 2k18 for the Switch.  Just the developers rushing to get something out for it without actually checking if it worked.

I picked up Human Fall Flat and Outlast a couple of days ago.  HFF is a decent wee physics puzzle game, good time-waster and would be a decent couch play one for two players.  Outlast is fantastic though.  I played the first part on PS4, but playing it up close with the Switch, with headphones on, is something else entirely.  Looks like they're releasing Outlast 2 later in the month so I'll pick that up too, as outside of the first half hour or so on youtube, I've seen nothing of it.

I expect I'll get all sorts of righteous indignation at this, but I don't think I'm really "getting" Zelda.  It's not bad by any means, but it really isn't gripping me in the way I thought it would.  Finding I'm just wandering about with little direction, struggling to get weapons that can take down anything I'm coming across either.  I expect I'm not playing it entirely correctly, but think I'll give it a break for a while and see if that helps once I go back to it.  

3 hours ago, forameus said:

I think the only game reportedly worse in terms of cross-platform franchises is WWE 2k18 for the Switch.  Just the developers rushing to get something out for it without actually checking if it worked.

I picked up Human Fall Flat and Outlast a couple of days ago.  HFF is a decent wee physics puzzle game, good time-waster and would be a decent couch play one for two players.  Outlast is fantastic though.  I played the first part on PS4, but playing it up close with the Switch, with headphones on, is something else entirely.  Looks like they're releasing Outlast 2 later in the month so I'll pick that up too, as outside of the first half hour or so on youtube, I've seen nothing of it.

I expect I'll get all sorts of righteous indignation at this, but I don't think I'm really "getting" Zelda.  It's not bad by any means, but it really isn't gripping me in the way I thought it would.  Finding I'm just wandering about with little direction, struggling to get weapons that can take down anything I'm coming across either.  I expect I'm not playing it entirely correctly, but think I'll give it a break for a while and see if that helps once I go back to it.  

So, "not getting" = "shit at"? :P 

There is always a danger when theres so much to do that you end up not knowing quite what to do. The main story should be a gentle enough start to get you going. Other than that, hunting out shrines and/or towers is a great way to explore and open up the map, making it easier to get around later. However, as you've found, you'll need to know when you run away and come back later in the game, particularly with some of the towers.

20 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So, "not getting" = "shit at"? :P 

There is always a danger when theres so much to do that you end up not knowing quite what to do. The main story should be a gentle enough start to get you going. Other than that, hunting out shrines and/or towers is a great way to explore and open up the map, making it easier to get around later. However, as you've found, you'll need to know when you run away and come back later in the game, particularly with some of the towers.

Yeah, I'm doing most of that, just hasn't interested me as much as I thought it would.  I'm not just going to chuck the cartridge and say the game is shit, because it isn't.  Probably more down to the general malaise I've got with huge open-world games now.

No harm in not enjoying Zelda, I'm finding it quite tedious and I really dislike having your bombs be a magic spell rather than the traditional system.

I heard a lot of criticism about the weapon durability, I personally think its a great system. Having to stop character movement to switch to a new weapon mid fight is mind boggingly dumb though, the controls feel clumsy to me overall.

There's a neat game there but its just not clicking with me.

The two things that were brought up as negative from the reviews that weren't 10/10 was the weapon durability and stamina systems.  I don't mind the weapon system as much, although like you say, the switching mid-fight is quite annoying, would rather they just put your strongest weapon in your hand when the previous one breaks, especially given they break very often.  If they buffed it so that weapons lasted maybe double the time, I don't think I'd have as many complaints.  It's different, and that makes a difference.  The stamina system can go and die in a fire though.  Again, could be better if they kept it but adjusted it slightly so it wasn't as pressing, but when a lot of exploring ends up being climbing, the early game is quite tedious.  As is not being able to climb in the rain...for f**k sake.

As for the game generally, I'd probably agree with Jim Sterling's derided 7/10 review.  It's still one of the better games I've owned technically, and I can see its benefits, but it just isn't really that fun for me personally.  I like the whole "go anywhere" aspect to the world, but I don't find it a particularly interesting world to go around.  Looks gorgeous, but it's mostly just scenery peppered with not particularly interesting enemies.  

Sounds like I'm being scathing on the game, and it isn't my intention - I will go back to it and probably end up enjoying it - but just a bit bored with it at the moment.  It's certainly no Super Mario Odyssey.

I absolutely loved Zelda when I first started playing it but, due to a number of work/kid-related reasons, have had a break from it now for a month or so.

I also felt a bit overawed with the sheer size of it, I am wondering if I am just a bit shit at it - actually coming to more of that conclusion with most of the games I play!! Since Witcher, which I completed, I started HZD and gave up on it as I thought it got really boring. Not sure that massive open-world games are suiting my gaming situation as it is more a quick hour here and there or when I am in the car, etc.

Will definitely go back to Zelda as it blew me away to begin with but only when I have a bit more time to put into it.

16 hours ago, forameus said:

The two things that were brought up as negative from the reviews that weren't 10/10 was the weapon durability and stamina systems.  I don't mind the weapon system as much, although like you say, the switching mid-fight is quite annoying, would rather they just put your strongest weapon in your hand when the previous one breaks, especially given they break very often.  If they buffed it so that weapons lasted maybe double the time, I don't think I'd have as many complaints.  It's different, and that makes a difference.  The stamina system can go and die in a fire though.  Again, could be better if they kept it but adjusted it slightly so it wasn't as pressing, but when a lot of exploring ends up being climbing, the early game is quite tedious.  As is not being able to climb in the rain...for f**k sake.

As for the game generally, I'd probably agree with Jim Sterling's derided 7/10 review.  It's still one of the better games I've owned technically, and I can see its benefits, but it just isn't really that fun for me personally.  I like the whole "go anywhere" aspect to the world, but I don't find it a particularly interesting world to go around.  Looks gorgeous, but it's mostly just scenery peppered with not particularly interesting enemies.  

Sounds like I'm being scathing on the game, and it isn't my intention - I will go back to it and probably end up enjoying it - but just a bit bored with it at the moment.  It's certainly no Super Mario Odyssey.

Not being able to climb in the rain  seems a perfectly reasonable game mechanic to me. 

The stamina is there for a reason too. You have to judge whether you have enough to climb a cliff or glide over to somewhere.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Not being able to climb in the rain  seems a perfectly reasonable game mechanic to me. 

The stamina is there for a reason too. You have to judge whether you have enough to climb a cliff or glide over to somewhere.

Whether it is or not doesn't really matter to me personally.  For the rain one, with where I ended up exploring I had to sit on a featureless cliff-edge for a while until it stopped raining.  It's one of a few features that are nice little additions that they've cranked up to unforgiveable 11.  

You enjoy it or think it's always valid, fair enough.  I disagree.

Damn, I need to start saving for all these games coming out. At least one a month from this Nintendo Direct that I am definitely going to buy. Plus whenever Smash Bros comes out. 

South Park - April 24th

Dark Souls - May 25th

Mario Tennis - June 22nd

Crash Trilogy - July 10th

Captain Toad - July 13th

52acf.jpg