ScotRail

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wren Road said:

The works need doing. Don't see a problem here

Spot on, the majority of the infrastructure in the Railway needs constant maintenance due to the amount of traffic, which wasn't a problem when it was initially designed. 

Also, unless it's train failures it won't be Scotrails fault as Network Rail are responsible for the line. 

Excuse my ignorance but do network rail have responsibility for all train lines in the U.K. And Scotrail are just the company that sell tickets and drive the trains etc?

The track, bridges, tunnels and certain stations are owned and maintained by Network Rail.

The running of the trains are broken up by the likes of Scotrail Abellio, Virgin East Coast etc.

Excuse my ignorance but do network rail have responsibility for all train lines in the U.K. And Scotrail are just the company that sell tickets and drive the trains etc?

Yep
Network rail are in charge of track, signaling and infrastructure (bridges, stations etc). Scotrail are one of the many franchises (one of two controlled by Transport Scotland) and they run the trains (but don't own any of them)

The track, bridges, tunnels and certain stations are owned and maintained by Network Rail.

The running of the trains are broken up by the franchises Scotrail Abellio, Virgin East Coast etc.

Yeah that's what I had thought. Thanks Rab.

42 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

More bus replacement services this weekend. f**k trains.

Discuss.

In their song "National Shite Day", Half Man Half Biscuit mused whether it should actually be called a train replacement service. 

Discuss. 

Trains are the boi.  

You get to booze and be a mouthy w****r with the #lads and you're never 30 yards from a pisser for those with very weak bladders when the seal is broken.  Like me.

Abellio have been, by and large, honking but one thing that they've done is the cheap £5 advance singles (£10 for First Class) you can snap up. Saved me a bundle heading up to Inverness for the football but you do need to get them several weeks before you travel and, like the £1 Megabus tickets, there's not many of them.

Have noticed far more services running from Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk/Croy with only three cars, fucking nightmare. Twenty odd quid for the privilege for standing on a late train.

Absurdly expensive, well over twice the price of the bus from Cumbernauld into Glasgow. I get on the train at the second stop and it somehow manages to arrive late almost without exception.

First world problems really, but overall the service is a bit pish for what it costs.

Abellio have been, by and large, honking but one thing that they've done is the cheap £5 advance singles (£10 for First Class) you can snap up. Saved me a bundle heading up to Inverness for the football but you do need to get them several weeks before you travel and, like the £1 Megabus tickets, there's not many of them.

Are the £5 deals still available? Was looking at trains mid Dec and couldn't see any.

I was able to grab them for the ICT v Hamilton game but none seem to have been available for travelling from Inverness to Glasgow for when we play Rangers (I'll be up in Inverness at that point). Cheapest tickets started from £11.40 if I mind right. You aren't guaranteed a seat but that's not usually a problem.

4 people in a 70 seater coach from Stirling to Dundee today. Could get used to that tbh, far quieter than the train. More rail maintenance!

Also, they barely ever check your tickets before you get on rail replacement buses so it's a not bad opportunity for free travel...

Archived