Clyde V Stirling

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we controlled the first half without creating many clear cut chances. Poor defending for the Stirling goal while MacDonald's header was immense.

Second half was garbage. No idea how Stirling kept Higgins chance out but other than that we were poor. Towards the end Stirling looked the more likely to score and they missed an excellent opportunity to score when the big guy up front blasted over the bar in front of on rushing Gibson in the Clyde goal.

David Gormley has morphed into Kieran McGachie. Only worse.

The best one was when he just stood still and put his hands over his face from a Clyde goal kick rather than challenging for the ball.

"He looked like he was having a Vietnam flash back of a mortar dropping on his head" was how the guy behind us put it.

Well didn't think we would get anything against Clyde but we took the lead thru Marc MacKenzie but sloppy play allowed Clyde to level the scores in the first half.

2nd half Chris Smith somehow managed to keep the ball out of the net from a Clyde shot but Issac Lanye missed a golden opportunity to give us the lead but fired over the bar. Finished the game as the team on top but too many times we punted the ball up the park to nobody and far too often we managed to pass the ball to Clyde players. Still as I said before happy with the point but with better finishing we might have sneaked all 3 points.

A good point for our playoff pursuit, a rubbish one in a title challenge. We played catch-up the whole of last season and it looks like it'll be the same this year; next week we really can't afford to get beaten by Elgin.

I thought we played well in the first half. Came at Stirling from all angles and had them penned back for most of the half. Great header from MacDonald to level, given that he'd earlier missed an easier one.

Second half we got impatient and started rushing things. No idea why we dropped Linton back as from that point onwards we didn't look anywhere near as good a team. Even though we've still got a good starting eleven, the loss of Easton/Lowden has meant we've got absolutely nothing on the bench; Fergie is still miles off and then you have Gormley who doesn't offer us anything different. 

I thought Higgins had a good game and I don't think you can really fault the rest of them too much. Don't think anyone can question the effort and commitment of this team. 

I said before the game that Ross McMillan would either be MotM or get sent off and I thought he held Stirling together superbly. Player for player we obviously had a better side out today but they were much better organised and had a better gameplan than the shambles McLaren used to dish up.

I thought Higgins had a good game and I don't think you can really fault the rest of them too much. Don't think anyone can question the effort and commitment of this team. 

I disagree about Higgins. I thought he was poor today. Unfortunately, he was not alone.

The only pass marks I would give was for the two centre halves. Smith and Perry in particular were very good.

I think we resort to the long ball too often without purpose. We started off playing the diagonal ball onto their smallish right back. We had some success from that. Then we stopped.

We then resorted to punts up the park for Higgins and MacDonald to win in the air. We've done this much too often this year and it rarely gives us the advantage.

Johnston does not take advantage of his pace as he often runs out of space or puts in very poor crosses.

In saying that, was it him that put in the cross fot MacDonald to score?

Fantastic finish from the veteran.

Tough match. Stirling were a lot better than being portrait here but Clyde didn't play well. Both had good chances to win but on the face of it though a draw was a fair result. Us not winning done me out of £273 though :(

6 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

The best one was when he just stood still and put his hands over his face from a Clyde goal kick rather than challenging for the ball.

"He looked like he was having a Vietnam flash back of a mortar dropping on his head" was how the guy behind us put it.

Absolutely excellent patter, made me chuckle, although not as much as the qp score

4 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

So you are delighted that we have dropped a few points as it backs up your theory that during a difficult run of matches we might not win every single one?

To be clear:
We haven't lost a game since Forfar.

We absolutely battered Berwick (away from home) and were very unlucky not to win.

We beat Edinburgh city (away) and won a tricky looking cup tie up at Brora convincingly.

Yesterday's result was disappointing yes, but it's hardly a season derailing result.

As for the comment about falling to 5th, utter drivel. Forfar are on a horrendous run and we have closed the gap right up on them. Elgin are the in form team but we have already beaten them up at their patch. A win next week against them at home and we will be in a very handy position. And most definitely still in the title mix.

Think the team deserve credit for how they have adapted to losing two big players and maintained a decent run.

I thought I made myself plain: I'm disappointed that we've dropped as many points as we have. I take no delight in it. I'm pleased that we now have an abundance of evidence which should convince our supporters, if not our manager, to stop advocating daft choices for our starting eleven (Johnstone at right-back, McNiff on the left).

I've no 'theory'. There's too much theory on the go these days. All I have are predictions; the kind you go to the bookies with. We have not, as you suggest, dropped points across a tough run of games. We've dropped points to Berwick away and Stirling at home. If we'd dropped points to both Elgin and Forfar away from home, for instance, then you could say that we'd dropped points across a tough run of games.

You're right on the latter points, of course. And I haven't said anything to the contrary. Yes: if we win our next two, we might even be top of the league. Yes: the team does deserve credit for how it has adapted to losing two - I'd say one - big player; Lowdon's contribution was far from equivalent to Easton's. However, some tinkering, or a lack of it in some cases, might've had us beating Berwick and Stirling. In which case we'd be top of the league already. The blame will sit with the manager, not the players, who've shown great dig.

Archived