Squad Announcement This Week

eez-eh

Basically the guest list to Strachan's leaving party. It's announced at some point this week (not sure what day).

I predict Grant Hanley will still be called up even though he's shite - presumably because "continuity" or something, Phil Bardsley and Ross McCormack won't be included despite being improvements on those who are named - with people pointing to alleged attitude problems that are yet to be confirmed, while Matt Phillips will be excluded for Barrie fucking McKay and Chris Martin's inclusion will cause various people's heads to explode.

The biggest questions seem to be:

• Who drops out for Scott Brown?
  • Who will be our second choice left back to sit on the bench as Lee Wallace gets roasted by Raheem Sterling?
  • Is Leigh Griffiths tall enough to be included?
  • If not, which 6'10+ centre forward is the best for helping out at set pieces?
  • Does Oliver Burke have enough experience to play at Wembley?

Answers and anticipation here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Basically the guest list to Strachan's leaving party. It's announced at some point this week (not sure what day).

I predict Grant Hanley will still be called up even though he's shite - presumably because "continuity" or something, Phil Bardsley and Ross McCormack won't be included despite being improvements on those who are named - with people pointing to alleged attitude problems that are yet to be confirmed, while Matt Phillips will be excluded for Barrie fucking McKay and Chris Martin's inclusion will cause various people's heads to explode.

The biggest questions seem to be:

• Who drops out for Scott Brown?
  • Who will be our second choice left back to sit on the bench as Lee Wallace gets roasted by Raheem Sterling?
  • Is Leigh Griffiths tall enough to be included?
  • If not, which 6'10+ centre forward is the best for helping out at set pieces?
  • Does Oliver Burke have enough experience to play at Wembley?

Answers and anticipation here.

Hanley will be called up because he's amongst the best options in his position.  I am in no way saying that's a good thing.

Bardsley won't be.  No idea what he's done to really piss off managers, but he's consistently overlooked.  To be honest though, I'd rather we stuck to someone like Paterson or some other more future-proof option.  He's 31 at the moment, and in a campaign that looks like it's probably over, he's not really the option we want to be going with if we can possibly help it.

Ross McCormack is a similar issue to Bardsley in that we seem to covet those that don't get picked, until they do.  I'm not convinced he's going to add that much to the position, certainly not to the degree that some seem to make out.  Just like in central defense, options are thin on the ground.  The top six options are probably Fletcher, Martin, Griffiths, Rhodes, Naismith and McCormack, with only four being picked.  Rhodes and McCormack are likely to miss out if everyone's fit.  Plus, again, he's 30.  If we're going to go a different option, I'd rather Rhodes.  But to be honest I'd rather try someone completely new.

McKay will be pcked.  Meh.  Chris Martin will be too I imagine, He'll continue to look pretty lost while we fail to play to any of his strengths.  

Burke has to be in the squad at the least.  I think this might be the sort of game we need someone like him.  I can completely understand him not being played in Slovakia (but not dropped completely) but having someone like that running at people in a pressure-cooker game should be useful.  

Will Brown not just come in for Snodgrass?  Not exactly like for like, but do we have a direct replacement for him?

I think Strachan will name to scotland squad

Goalkeeper

Gordon Marshall Bain

Defender:

Hanley, Martin, Greer ,Kingsley, Mulgrew, Wallace Paterson Hutton Shinnie

Midfielder

Bannans, McArthur, Brown, D.Fletcher, Morrison, Cairney, Armstrong, Burke, Ritchie, Swanson, Phillips, Maloney, 

Striker

Naismith, Martin, Griffith, McCormack, Rhodes

42 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

I think Strachan will name to scotland squad

Goalkeeper

Gordon Marshall Bain

Defender:

Hanley, Martin, Greer ,Kingsley, Mulgrew, Wallace Paterson Hutton Shinnie

Midfielder

Bannans, McArthur, Brown, D.Fletcher, Morrison, Cairney, Armstrong, Burke, Ritchie, Swanson, Phillips, Maloney, 

Striker

Naismith, Martin, Griffith, McCormack, Rhodes

He's not going to name 29 players for a 25 man squad for a start.

You can remove Cairney, Swanson, Philips, Rhodes, McCormack and probably Maloney from the above Craig. I doubt Shinnie will get picked too as he doesn't seem to rate him. Barry Douglas might be the surprise addition although it wouldn't be a shock if Mulgrew was the left back option with Wallace starting.

Although heartily sick of Strachan and almost past caring, the ones I would immediately drop from his usual "tried and tested" players are Hanley, Greer, both Martins, Morrison, Ritchie , Bannan, D.Fletcher, and replace with Brown, Armstrong , Halliday , Griffiths , Swanson , Naismith , Wallace and O`Halloran.

I have absolutely no doubt none of this will happen and Strachan will persist with his English second division select which will, like the last time, be soundly beaten by a selection from the EPL.

Although heartily sick of Strachan and almost past caring, the ones I would immediately drop from his usual "tried and tested" players are Hanley, Greer, both Martins, Morrison, Ritchie , Bannan, D.Fletcher, and replace with Brown, Armstrong , Halliday , Griffiths , Swanson , Naismith , Wallace and O`Halloran.

I have absolutely no doubt none of this will happen and Strachan will persist with his English second division select which will, like the last time, be soundly beaten by a selection from the EPL.

How exactly would we line up after dropping 3 of the 4 centre backs we normally call up, and replace them with a selection of attacking players, Lee Wallace and Scott Brown?

36 minutes ago, Lindsay Grant said:

I'm not against dropping some of the names you mention, but do you really think a Scottish Premiership select is going have a better chance against the EPL team?

Certainly better than an English second division select, replete with English born players. These guys have had their chance and consistently failed. Ive said before, international players don't have a contract and can be dropped at any time, particularly when they are off form. Why does Strachan, or previous managers, feel the need for "squad consistency" when results have been terrible ? He doesn't need to sign players, like a club manager would, just choose different players from our own top clubs. He wont do it and will hopefully suffer the consequences by being dismissed after our WC exit.

1 hour ago, Lindsay Grant said:

Certainly better than an English second division select, replete with English born players. These guys have had their chance and consistently failed. Ive said before, international players don't have a contract and can be dropped at any time, particularly when they are off form. Why does Strachan, or previous managers, feel the need for "squad consistency" when results have been terrible ? He doesn't need to sign players, like a club manager would, just choose different players from our own top clubs. He wont do it and will hopefully suffer the consequences by being dismissed after our WC exit.

You never did answer the question I posed of you as to what squad you'd pick.  Seems your'e just hung up on "the english are pyoor basturdz byraway" rather than having any kind of insight into what else to do.

So, care to offer anything more?  You talk of dropping players who are off form, which is fair enough, but you do realise form isn't going to win us games, right?  I assume you've got some other plan, so let's hear it.

3 hours ago, Lindsay Grant said:

So just to recap some of this; we should replace....

Our centre backs should be out the squad and replaced by no one.

Morrison with Halliday :lol::blink:

Ritchie with O'Halloran or Swanson. Ritchie might have been poor the last two games but is several levels above either if these players. 

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

So just to recap some of this; we should replace....

Our centre backs should be out the squad and replaced by no one.

Morrison with Halliday :lol::blink:

Ritchie with O'Halloran or Swanson. Ritchie might have been poor the last two games but is several levels above either if these players. 

Aye but he's "English".  That essentially means he's terrible apparently.

Archived