Stranraer v Queen's Park

Extremely tough game for us at a ground we don't have a good record at at the best of times. The past couple of games have been majorly disappointing. Started well at Airdrie after a decent showing and then completely lost the place in a bizarre game which resembled a penalty shootout. No such excuses last week. Really poor from start to finish and I don't think the red card would have made a great difference. It's six defeats in seven games, albeit one against a Championship side, and it's quite clear that the confidence has taken a hit. We have to get back to basics and do the simple things well, just as we did in the games against the likes of Livingston and Brechin.

We're never going to win games 5-4 or 4-3, so we have to make sure that we're tighter at the back. There's been some horrible individual errors and we'll need to cut those out. I'd like to see Gibby back in the team ahead of Craig McLeish. No harm to McLeish at all, but he's not in the best form and I always feel that we look more solid with Gibby in the squad. McKernon slotting in as a defensive midfielder for the suspended Fotheringham is a no brainer as well. I'd stick with Woods and Miller, despite both of them having not played particularly well in recent games. I'd be recluctant to drop Miller, in particular, because all it takes is one of his deliveries to cause Stranraer a big problem. We don't have anyone else with that ability. 

It's probably going to be a battle, so I'd relegate Zanatta to the bench and bring Carter in to play alongside Malone. Aidan will wrestle with defenders and hold the ball up and big John will run all day and chase everything down. I suspect we'll be going long again, so that would make more sense to me than playing Zanatta. Stranraer are the obvious favourites given our recent form in the league, but Queen's Park occasionally pull a result out of absolutely nowhere when least expected. Hopefully this is the case on Saturday! Looking forward to the trip down and hopeful that we can at least show signs of improvement.

Quick heads up for anyone travelling down, there is a planned road closure south of Girvan at Ardwell. Diversion route will try and send you via Newton Steward which is a ridiculous journey and adds about an hours travelling time. Would recommend following the diversion as far as Colmonell then heading for Ballantrae as saves a good bit of time, all be it a bad road.  Not finding anything online about it but, received word at work from Transerv.

That's the exciting bit out the way, now on to the football. No must win games at this time of the season but certainly one both teams will really want to maximum points from. Impressed with the way Queens Park moved the ball against us in the last game but, that only lasted twenty minutes or so then the game changed a bit.

Think we may have McGuigan back for this one, should he start or not is a different matter. Personally would have him in for Nade. Nade shows glimpses of brilliance but everything has to be in to feet with him, unfortunately we're too fond of long, high balls making him rather ineffective.

Very hard to tell how this one will pan out.

I can't make this any more but I've got 2 train tickets from Glasgow to Stranraer if anyone wants them (unfortunately, the times aren't great.. 0830 from Glasgow and 1659 from Stranraer - which means you might have to leave the match a couple of minutes early) ... let me know if you want them (and live in Glasgow!)

Really poor from Stranraer today. McKeown currently looks as shadow of the player we all know he can be and Watt doesn't impress me much at right back. Belford was having a decent game until he made a really bad error for their second goal but debateable if we would have came back into game anyway. Once again Agnew failed to make an impression and Nade didn't even get off the bench despite the fact we were doing very little in attack - worrying that neither of our marque signings have produced anything much of note by November. Both are potentially good players but starting to wonder how motivated they are. We certainly missed Gibson and McGuigan (who was apparently unwell and only played for a short spell) and never really looked like getting much change out of a very mediocre Queens Park side.

Only positives were a committed display by Dick and some promising runs by Thomson down the right flank. Oh and watching the Queens Park fan who spent most of the first half putting up 4 different flags - he had a busy day.....just a pity some of our players weren't as productive. Its best not to overreact though and am certainly not going to start calling for Reid's head like I did last season. Think its a bit early for that given he has shown how he can turn a season around. No denying we need start to improving though.    

Archived