The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Heard part of what Jessie Ventura had to say on it. He supports Kaepernick and co for doing this and was pretty critical of Trump, making the excellent point that Patriotism shouldn't be mandatory and that Governments should earn that Patriotism rather than force it on people

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

23 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Perhaps, although that says more about 'people in the US' than it does about Nike tbh. Also, did Paquaio not say something along the lines of 'gays are animals', or 'less than animals' ? If so, that goes beyond your description of 'arguing against the morality of homosexuality'.

Nike employs around 77,000 people worldwide. So around 3-3500 employees, although I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here.

I'm struggling to see any issues with Nike's stance here.

I'd be more inclined to take your and other Trump supporters tear stained mewlings on 'disrespecting America and the flag' more seriously if you were equally condemning of Trump and his comments on McCain and PoWs.

It's equally annoying when people hide behind the principle of free speech to deliberately offend and incite.

I was just pointing out that I don't think Nike is necessarily thinking about their bottom line, which is what you claimed.

Do you not think that people like Pacquiao can have honest opinions on homosexuality that are not just intended to offend and incite? There can be honest opinions about sexual morality, and I have no problem with people expressing them.  Sure, Pacquiao's reasoning regarding animal behavior is odd and not even correct. Sounds like something someone who is uneducated and comes from a very conservative society might say. But he's probably coming from a sincere place, not trying to incite.

17 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Heard part of what Jessie Ventura had to say on it. He supports Kaepernick and co for doing this and was pretty critical of Trump, making the excellent point that Patriotism shouldn't be mandatory and that Governments should earn that Patriotism rather than force it on people

I just don't see it like Mr. Ventura. When you choose specifically to disrespect the national symbols as part of your political protest, you are basically saying that you aren't part of "my team." That goes beyond politics. It's fine. I'm not offended. It is what it is. I don't feel obligated to worry about those people's opinions. That's not what they are after anyways. They are trying to separate themselves from the greater society, not raise awareness or convince people that things need to change. It's tribal signaling. 

Patriotism has nothing to do with the government of the day. 

It should be pointed out that the most successful black civil rights movements were fought by coopting traditional American symbolism, not by emphasizing a separate black identity.  Black power went nowhere and did nothing. It's a political dead end, but it does have romantic appeal. It gets you cheers from certain sections if that's what your looking for. 

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

How big is protectionism in the USA? Reading about this bombardier thing and the Puerto Rico issue, plus the investigation into Steel and aluminium imports. I've not read any headlines about Trump and protectionism but under the surface it seems like it's subtly increasing. Whilst he's distracting us by pretending to take on NFL players who protest the anthem he seems to be quirky pursuing harmful protectionist policies.

Let's remember exactly what BLM is fighting for:

http://urbanlabs.uchicago.edu/projects/gun-violence-in-chicago-2016

http://urbanlabs.uchicago.edu/attachments/store/2435a5d4658e2ca19f4f225b810ce0dbdb9231cbdb8d702e784087469ee3/UChicagoCrimeLab+Gun+Violence+in+Chicago+2016.pdf

One of the most famous BLM flashpoints was the release of footage showing the police killing of Laquan McDonald in Chicago. The Obama Dept of Justice launched an investigation. The city and the ACLU came to an agreement about new policies for dealing with the black community. One result:

Screenshot 2017-09-27 22.24.23

The mass increase in murder started out of nowhere a couple months after the new BLM backed policies were started. Right about the time gangs realized they were free to carry guns 100% of the time, not just when they had a specific purpose, without worrying about being stopped by the police.

"One striking feature of Chicago’s increase in gun violence is how sudden it was: as of December 2015, there was no indication that gun violence was on the verge of rising sharply. But in January 2016, homicides and shootings surged relative to their 2015 levels and remained higher in almost every month that followed, threatening 20 years of progress on violent crime in Chicago. The increase was mostly in gun crimes; other crimes did not change nearly as much."

The argument against blaming BLM is the same thing didn't happen in NYC when they dramatically reduced stops. It's something to keep in mind though. You definitely won't hear about arguments like this on the mainstream news. Luckily Steve Sailer is around to keep us informed of new information like this coming out.

For a look at Baltimore post-Freddy Gray riots and the murder charges against those cops.

http://www.copinthehood.com/2017/09/the-freddie-gray-effect-in-baltimore.html

murd%2Bshoot%2Bavg%2Bper%2Bday.JPG

The author is a former Baltimore cop, has a PhD from Harvard, and is currently a criminal justice professor at City University of New York.

3 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I was just pointing out that I don't think Nike is necessarily thinking about their bottom line, which is what you claimed.

Do you not think that people like Pacquiao can have honest opinions on homosexuality that are not just intended to offend and incite? There can be honest opinions about sexual morality, and I have no problem with people expressing them.  Sure, Pacquiao's reasoning regarding animal behavior is odd and not even correct. Sounds like something someone who is uneducated and comes from a very conservative society might say. But he's probably coming from a sincere place, not trying to incite.

Calling gay people 'animals' or 'less than animals' is not just odd and incorrect, it's deeply offensive and homophobic.  Ignorance is not a defence in this case, he's a widely travelled athlete.

Incidentally, many on the right in America share his views. Seems you live in an uneducated and very conservative society.

4 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

I just don't see it like Mr. Ventura. When you choose specifically to disrespect the national symbols as part of your political protest, you are basically saying that you aren't part of "my team." That goes beyond politics. It's fine. I'm not offended. It is what it is. I don't feel obligated to worry about those people's opinions. That's not what they are after anyways. They are trying to separate themselves from the greater society, not raise awareness or convince people that things need to change. It's tribal signaling. 

Why not just come out and say it ? It's not the method of protest that's the issue, it's the fact they're protesting in the first place.

5 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Patriotism has nothing to do with the government of the day. 

The head of state is calling for people to be sacked for not standing up for the national anthem.

5 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Black power went nowhere and did nothing. 

Apart from the tenents councils, community centres and black businesses and co-ops they set up aye ?

Just watched Donald Trump on the news.

"Puerto Rico is an island surrounded by water."

Personally I thought that was the definition of an island but what do I know.
Might be useful to know at the pub quiz on Thursday.
"Can you name an island in the Caribbean that is surrounded by water?"
Puerto Rico.

Just watched Donald Trump on the news.
"Puerto Rico is an island surrounded by water."
Personally I thought that was the definition of an island but what do I know.
Might be useful to know at the pub quiz on Thursday.
"Can you name an island in the Caribbean that is surrounded by water?"
Puerto Rico.

"Big water. Ocean water."