The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

9 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

John McCain specifically requested to fly sorties into Vietnam where he could bomb civilian targets and would’ve been responsible for untold numbers of Iranian deaths if he won the presidency. God bless cancer for doing what the Vietcong were too compassionate to do.

Can you provide a source for him specifically requesting to bomb civilian targets?

Can you provide a source for him specifically requesting to bomb civilian targets?

That’s phrased badly by me. He spoke after of his support for escalating the war in Vietnam to include civilian targets and reaffirmed this belief in the Yugoslav wars.

“In his book, Faith of Our Fathers, McCain writes that he had been upset that he had been limited to bombing military installations, roads, and power plants. He said such restrictions were "illogical" and "senseless."

"I do believe," McCain wrote, "that had we taken the war to the North and made full, consistent use of air power in the North, we ultimately would have prevailed”

Carry on your veneration of him.

3 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

That’s phrased badly by me. He spoke after of his support for escalating the war in Vietnam to include civilian targets and reaffirmed this belief in the Yugoslav wars.

“In his book, Faith of Our Fathers, McCain writes that he had been upset that he had been limited to bombing military installations, roads, and power plants. He said such restrictions were "illogical" and "senseless."

"I do believe," McCain wrote, "that had we taken the war to the North and made full, consistent use of air power in the North, we ultimately would have prevailed”

Carry on your veneration of him.

Two things.  You'll need to point out where I venerated him, and you're yet to provide a source saying he wanted to bomb civilian targets.  I await.

Two things.  You'll need to point out where I venerated him, and you're yet to provide a source saying he wanted to bomb civilian targets.  I await.

Why did you call Savage Henry an idiot?

“We were, he warned, in danger of “losing” to the Serbian army—with its outdated equipment and complete lack of an air force—if we failed to launch air strikes that were “massive, strategic and sustained.” Furthermore, “no infrastructure targets should have been off limits”—factories, water plants, hospitals, schools, markets, whatever. Yes, “we all grieve over civilian casualties as well as our own losses,” but “they are unavoidable.”

Sounds like pretty consistent support for bombing civilian targets to me.

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Why did you call Savage Henry an idiot?

“We were, he warned, in danger of “losing” to the Serbian army—with its outdated equipment and complete lack of an air force—if we failed to launch air strikes that were “massive, strategic and sustained.” Furthermore, “no infrastructure targets should have been off limits”—factories, water plants, hospitals, schools, markets, whatever. Yes, “we all grieve over civilian casualties as well as our own losses,” but “they are unavoidable.”

Sounds like pretty consistent support for bombing civilian targets to me.

Well that's the first time you've posted any evidence at the third time of asking.  I agree that's abhorrent.

6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I don’t agree with everything than McCain did but he was one of the better Republicans.
Most recently voting to kill TrumpCare.

Obama is going to speak at his funeral.

Always reminded me of Mel Brooks, especially when he chose Sarah Palin as his running mate. What a hoot!

2 hours ago, Jdog said:
Condolences to the family of John McCain. Condolences also to the families of thousands of American soldiers, and tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis, Afghans, Yemenis, Syrians, Palestinians & others who might be alive today were it not for the votes, & actions, of John McCain.

Tbf that's absolute pish.  It's not like he's the only representative.  Though I agree with the sentiment.

15 minutes ago, Detournement said:

McCain is a war monger and literally dropped bombs on Vietnamese people.

Anyone who thinks he's anything other than an imperialist scumbag can f**k off.

He also gave Sarah Palin a national profile and her ignorance led directly to Trump

That's his legacy

8 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Just finished reading a very large book about the Vietnam War.

Basically it involved bombing the enemy or anyone who might be the enemy.
The second category was more or less everybody.

Western air attacks are portrayed as precision strikes using high tech missiles to minimise collateral damage. For full on war they're far too expensive and scarce, in both Iraqi wars the main munitions used were old fashioned gravity bombs. I think McCain was just being honest about it, rather than the hypocritical lies and spin from the Pentagon. 

About 489-528 Serbian civilians are believed to have been killed by the NATO bombings. 

At the same time somewhere in the region of 1.2-1.4 million  Kosovar Albanians had been displaced by the Serbian ethnic cleansing. 

I will not say that the bombing war morally justified or morally unjustified. I will say it was a very complex situation where there seemed to be great ambiguities on what was happening and in such situations moral choices are often unclear. McCain was likely too Gung Ho on military action but I do not think the Kosovo crisis is a good example of that. Those taking their views from enthno-nationalist Slav news outlets will likely differ. But there are some real pacifists who will be consistent in their objection to violence.  

Complex world is complex, all choices made by western leaders in the Kosovo Crisis would likely  have left those with a choice to make having led to people dying. 

Srebrenica had only happened a few years earlier. But everything is easy decades later on the internet.