The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

14 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Wacky Stupid Pompous fool. Sounds like the President is getting back at the Ambassador for calling him inept insecure and incompetent.

I would love to see The US Embassy reports to Washington on the chaos, incompetence and ineptitude demonstrated in Westminster

And in doing so, confirms that he's inept, insecure and incompetent.

Has anyone challenged Darroch’s assessment of the Trump administration?

Whatever reservations we had about Trump, was there anyone who predicted that his administration would be so dysfunctional?

I believe he wants instability because the ongoing flux makes transparency far more difficult, but I believed there would a core of ‘professional civil servants’ that would keep things functional.  That has proven not to be the case.

For all the many faults in the Parliamentary system I far prefer it to a Presidential one.

Edited by Granny Danger

3 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

The ambassador was too kind in his report. Trump is INSANE. 

He was soft pedalling compared to all the leaks from Trump's own White House staff.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

For all the many faults in the Parliamentary system I far prefer it to a Presidential one.

The biggest fuckups over here have been when the likes of Blair and May tried to shut out Parliament and tried to rule by Presidential dictat.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Has anyone challenged Darroch’s assessment of the Trump administration?

Whatever reservations we had about Trump, was there anyone who predicted that his administration would be so dysfunctional?

I believe he wants instability because the ongoing flux makes transparency far more difficult, but I believed there would a core of ‘professional civil servants’ that would keep things functional.  That has proven not to be the case.

As I understand it, the civil service in the US does not have the same gravitas or long-standing importance as in the UK.

The UK civil service is a professional, politically neutral organisation which effectively keeps government running, and to a certain extent is a set of checks and balances on the government of the day.

The US 'civil service' is political and effectively an arm of the party in control .

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As I understand it, the civil service in the US does not have the same gravitas or long-standing importance as in the UK.

The UK civil service is a professional, politically neutral organisation which effectively keeps government running, and to a certain extent is a set of checks and balances on the government of the day.

The US 'civil service' is political and effectively an arm of the party in control .

Yeah but even within that there are apolitical people and ones who have served both Democrats and Republican.

Like I say the level of dysfunctionality is far more than most of us would have predicted.

To be fair they are still doing all the same shit they always do. Causing bother in the Middle East, funding and supporting right wing arseholes in Latin America, shafting the poor at home and bossing European governments around. Looks totally functional to me.

While all of what people are saying is correct, it is almost inconceivable the US President could deal with this Ambassador now too.
The leaking undermines diplomacy on both sides.
I fully expected a sideways appointment to be made, with him becoming ambassador to France or something (forcing a post open with an early retirement).

It's daft for him to stay in position, even although he appears to have done his job reasonably well.

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I fully expected a sideways appointment to be made, with him becoming ambassador to France or something (forcing a post open with an early retirement).

It's daft for him to stay in position, even although he appears to have done his job reasonably well.

Agreed, he's a victim of circumstance but now needs to be moved to placate the orange baby.  Isn't that a large part of what diplomacy's  about?

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Quality shit sandwich for bojo on day one though eh. Leave him in post and enrage Trump, sack him and enrage the diplomatic service.

Your forgetting he has already worked with the diplomatic service. I don't think their opinion of him could go any lower.

Wonder how much a payoff he's agreed? On £180k to £184k a year, so he'll get a pretty decent wedge plus a pension all a couple of years early.

Unless he doesn't get a payoff in which case I'd tip my hat to the guy for his sacrifice. Especially when he did nothing wrong. Unless he was the person who leaked the email.

7 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Wonder how much a payoff he's agreed? On £180k to £184k a year, so he'll get a pretty decent wedge plus a pension all a couple of years early.

Unless he doesn't get a payoff in which case I'd tip my hat to the guy for his sacrifice. Especially when he did nothing wrong. Unless he was the person who leaked the email.

I think he was due to retire in January anyway, so no big deal for him. Plus it will give a big boost to his advance for his memoirs. Will probably be put on gardening leave till January so he gets his full pension.

Edited by welshbairn

54 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The last few days have been entirely predictable; May responding in kind because she is political toast, Hunt acting Billy Big-Baws because he knows full well he won't be PM, and Johnson slithering right up Trump's arsehole, effectively setting the the tone for the future 'Special Relationship' (that's the one betwen a dog and a lamp-post by the way).

Fair play to Kim Darroch for at least have the cojones to call out the truth about the Great Retard's White House, but don't expect any inquiry to identify the Brexit sympathiser(s) who effectively cost him the Ambassador's job.  Do though expect his replacement to walk on his or her stomach.

Couldn't agree more. Darroch was hardly unique in his assessment of the Trump administration.  And the response from Trump has been an exemplar of that assessment. Trump is one of the worst human beings on the planet. Set everything else aside. Remove the office he occupies. The bottom line is that he's a thoroughly loathsome individual with no redeeming features at all.  A c**t's c**t.