The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

God, this Ben Carson controversy is everything that's wrong with our society.

Immigrant - Noun: A person who comes to live permanently in another country.

Dude spent his life saving babies as the top brain surgeon in the world. And he spent his spare time helping the less fortunate and working with disadvantaged kids. He's literally a great human being. And we have all these leftist keyboard warriors acting like they are better people based on them deciding to redefine words and then hold him to these made up standards.

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

.1. As you know fine well, Republicans in both houses (along with cowardly Southern Democrats) hamstrung Obamacare.  If it was in its true guise, you wouldn't have to pay a penny for your health care.  I quite take your word for it that Obamacare is a mess.  That's not Obama's fault.  

Again, Obamacare passed without a single Republican vote. They didn't make compromises to get Republican votes. It is true that moderate Democrats were a block towards a system that I imagine you would advocate. And for clarification, Obama claimed the Affordable Care Act would not cause anybody to lose their health insurance if they liked it. This wasn't a claim about what he wanted in an ideal bill. This was a claim about what was in the Bill Congress was about to vote on.

17 hours ago, Shades75 said:

Can you show us where Obama tapped Trump's phones?

Because that's what he said.

I think the AG would have to sign off on a wiretap, if one existed. Theoretically it could be done with the President in the dark, but it would be hard to imagine the AG would sign off on wiretapping the opposition party candidate without running it by Obama.

6 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Ben Carson

Dead cat strategy.

"Let us suppose you are losing an argument," Boris Johnson wrote earlier this year.

"The facts are overwhelmingly against you, and the more people focus on the reality the worse it is for you and your case.

"Your best bet in these circumstances is to perform a manoeuvre that a great campaigner describes as 'throwing a dead cat on the table, mate'."

Going on to describe the manoeuvre he explains: "The key point, says my Australian friend, is that everyone will shout 'Jeez, mate, there’s a dead cat on the table!'; in other words they will be talking about the dead cat, the thing you want them to talk about, and they will not be talking about the issue that has been causing you so much grief."

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2013/11/24/the-dead-cat-strategy-how-the-tories-hope-to-win-the-next-el

It's incredible how you can be a pioneering brain surgeon, and yet still appear so stupid.

My wife is an archivist for a county council, and recently did a tour for some history A-level students from a very expensive private school. One of the focuses was the slave trade, and a few of them genuinely seemed to think that the slaves might have been happy to move to America for a better life.

5 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Ben Carson redefining the words dreams and opportunity.

You don't think slaves had dreams that their sons and daughters would be able to one day pursue prosperity? Those are the exact words he used regarding the slaves. He used the words "dreams and opportunities" when describing the Ellis Island immigrants. 

You don't think slaves had dreams that their sons and daughters would be able to one day pursue prosperity?

I reckon their dreams were more along the lines of hoping that tomorrow wouldn't be the day they were killed or severely beaten, or that they could return to their homeland.

14 minutes ago, Swarley said:

I reckon their dreams were more along the lines of hoping that tomorrow wouldn't be the day they were killed or severely beaten, or that they could return to their homeland.

Freedom was a common theme of the Negro Spirituals. This was commented on my Mr. King during his famous speech.

Again, Obamacare passed without a single Republican vote. They didn't make compromises to get Republican votes. It is true that moderate Democrats were a block towards a system that I imagine you would advocate. And for clarification, Obama claimed the Affordable Care Act would not cause anybody to lose their health insurance if they liked it. This wasn't a claim about what he wanted in an ideal bill. This was a claim about what was in the Bill Congress was about to vote on.

He had to drop the Public Option when a Democrat lost her seat.

If I realised that you only needed Carson's level of intelligence to be a neurosurgeon I would definitely followed that career path.  I'd probably be the most eminent neurosurgeon in the world by now.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/06/news/economy/republicans-obamacare-repeal-replacement-bill/index.html

So the first draft of the replacement to Obamacare has been published folks and it contains no surprises.

Lower income individuals - worse off

Higher income individuals - better off

Reakly high income individuals - far better off

Suppliers of insurance - better off

Prescription drug suppliers - better off

Millions covered by Obamacare will lose cover.

There's also proposed changes to Medicaid that will see far less funds available for those dependent upon that service.

I reckon many of those who voted for Trump will be directly or indirectly affected by these changes.  That should be fun.