The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

4 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Yeh thats not how literalism works, swing and a miss chummmmmmmmp.

You don't think a direct apostle of Christ in the New Testament saying that Christians don't have to follow those rules is consistent with literalism? 

I've never claimed to be a literalist, by the way. 

2 hours ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

You don't think a direct apostle of Christ in the New Testament saying that Christians don't have to follow those rules is consistent with literalism? 

I didn't know King James VI of Scotland and I of England was Christ...

You do know the "bible" was written by some Greek guys 500 years after the alleged events in this work of fiction, don't you ?

12 hours ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

You're defending literalists.

I'm defending the idea that you can be a Biblical literalist without following Jewish law as laid down in Leviticus.

10 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

I didn't know King James VI of Scotland and I of England was Christ...

Being a progressive liberal I read the NIV, not the King James.

9 hours ago, bob the tank said:

You do know the "bible" was written by some Greek guys 500 years after the alleged events in this work of fiction, don't you ?

I'm aware that the academics who study these things do not believe that the New Testament was literally written by the apostles in the decades after the death of Christ. I'm aware that there's a lot of doubt as to whether Christ actually existed. I haven't personally studied such topics so I can't speak beyond that. Not sure what it has to do with whether you can be a consistent Biblical literalist while still eating shellfish.

This article isn't a good look for Moore. Lots of talk from his hometown.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/gadsden_residents_say_moores_b.html

No rumors of assaults, but lots of talk about creepy behavior towards young women in the 1970s. I was wondering when we'd get around to this. I currently live in a county about the same size as Mr. Moore's, 100k. Mr. Moore is the most famous person in his county by far. There are a couple people where I live that have national fame. I know all the rumors about their behavior. I figured we'd get the full run down on his behavior. Looks like it's starting to trickle out. I suspect we will know soon if there's anything beyond creepy behavior decades ago that crosses into illegality or assault.  I also suspect that the right wing media like Breitbart is frantically attempting to blow holes in the stories of his two serious accusers. We should have the end of this well before election day.

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

8 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Well I'll give you a clue, Roy Moore and his defenders speak of being strict christians who claim to keep to the bibles teachings in a literalist sense, the point being they base a defence of their actions and the basis of their horrific views on parts of the bible which have been twisted and misunderstood to suit their agenda, the whole while they choose to ignore other similar points which don't suit their agenda which share equal prominence in the bible and cannot be subject to the same twisting and misunderstanding.

Which prominent points do they ignore? Just the shellfish, or are there more? I'm actually curious what people with fancy pants degrees on this subject think.

Kids are fucked in the Game of Thrones books as well (most notably a 13 Daenerys by Khal Drogo). Since they seem to be using works of fiction to excuse a being a paedophile, why don't they use that example as well?

13 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Well many Republican and indeed democrats ignore the parts about not fucking other women whilst married. These folks do a better job of explaining it

https://valerietarico.com/2009/04/23/if-the-bible-were-law-would-you-qualify-for-the-death-penalty/

and

https://valerietarico.com/2014/05/30/eleven-kinds-of-bible-verses-christians-love-to-ignore/

So basically the Jewish law laid down in Exodus through Deuteronomy. The "shellfish" argument and not much more. The relationship of Gentile Christians to Jewish law is all pretty clearly dealt with in various parts of the New Testament. Acts 15 and Ephesians 2 most prominently. Any literal reading of these passages wipes away most of the law. There are plenty of other verses which deal with specific Jewish laws here and there. 

9 minutes ago, McQuade said:

No, there's no doubt Jesus existed. There are plenty of historical referenced to him, from non Christian sources.

https://bible.org/article/ancient-evidence-jesus-non-christian-sources

Eta Your link says only references to Jesus is from Christians after his death, as my link shows, that is factually incorrect.

It shows a few "historians" writing long after Jesus' supposed death, actually.  Maybe you should read it.