Best Combined Scotland / England XI

NewHope

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goalie would have to be Goram, absolutely eons above Shilton or Seaman. Right back, Danny McGrain. Left back, Ashley Cole. Centre backs, Tony Adams and Bobby Moore. Midfield of Souness and Scholes. Wide right Beckham. Wide left Jimmy Johnstone. Strike pair of Dalglish and Shearer. 

I was struck more by the seven Rangers players making his line-up.

McCoist making it ahead of some truly great players, move the exercise from fun to laughable.

Tbf I didn't pick mine from the BBC site but I presume my picks are all there.

If I had to had Gough I'd have the right back Dundee United version tbh.

7 Rangers players seems excessive haha.

It's only players from the last 30 years that the selector has availbale... Otherwise I would have switched to a back four and had McGrain in there.

McGrain could probably technically still qualify as I am sure he was still playing in the 1986/87 season.

Lineker got in my default as just the other day I was made aware that he scored the same amount of world cup goals as the majestic Gabriel Batistuta.

Ten world cup goals would probably have to get in ahead of McCoist or Johnston though, no matter the player.

Goram was the best keeper I have ever seen. Easily world-class.

To put him up against the calamitous Seaman and Thermos-head himself is just cruel. I can only guess that it's because he was a bit of an arsehole that he never superceded Ol' Bandy-Legs in the cap stakes.

9 hours ago, NewHope said:

Goram was the best keeper I have ever seen. Easily world-class.

To put him up against the calamitous Seaman and Thermos-head himself is just cruel. I can only guess that it's because he was a bit of an arsehole that he never superceded Ol' Bandy-Legs in the cap stakes.

Not 'mentally attuned' often enough.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I was struck more by the seven Rangers players making his line-up.

McCoist making it ahead of some truly great players, moves the exercise from fun to laughable.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought I was picking players for Scotland/England and not based on what club they played for..

Also, I only picked McCoist as I didn't want to have more England players in the team :lol:

2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Amazing to see Beckham in people's teams,  style over substance obviously. 

Beckham was a terrific player. I don't understand why some people only saw his haircut rather than his undoubted ability.

Archived