Best Combined Scotland / England XI

NewHope

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Slenderman said:

Like I said; when his fame outweighed his talent he got tossed about like a hot potato.

Decent player, but no danger he should be in a England/Scotland XI.

Yes, but he played for one of the best teams in the world for eight years, then got "tossed aside", to the only club bigger.

Some people on hear have obviously been smoking crack. Some outrageous shouts!

For the record, David Beckham was a supremely talented football player. The fact that he's a handsome b*****d, made him the most marketable sportsman on the planet.

Beckham is the king of bad taste and vacuity, that's why he annoys people so much. He was an excellent player but he was never anything like the best in the world.

He was also given an overly prominent role in an England side that included Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard, who all got shunted about to let Beckham pretend he was Pirlo. This nonsense was encouraged by Sven Goran Eriksson, who absolutely adored him, when he should have told him to shut up and continue doing a very good job on the right of midfield. The fact that England accidentally managed to retire Paul Scholes, who for a period might actually have been the best midfielder in the world (unlike Beckham), was a bit of a f*ck up to say the least.

Beckham was overrated to absolute f**k.

I agree but I think you underrate him. He wasn't a patch on world stars like Messi or Ronaldo ability wise or even gazza but he had the same profile. His profile was so big because of his image.

However, he was still a very good player, great passer and crosser and inspirational leader.

However he was below elite level.

9 hours ago, killienick said:

I don't see much love for Steve Nicol. IMO one of the best right back/midfielders we've ever had as a country.

(Given that he was a dirty A*r barsteward, that's saying something).

I've never forgave him for that miss vs Uruguay in Mexico86 :angry:

49 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Beckham is the king of bad taste and vacuity, that's why he annoys people so much. He was an excellent player but he was never anything like the best in the world.

He was also given an overly prominent role in an England side that included Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard, who all got shunted about to let Beckham pretend he was Pirlo. This nonsense was encouraged by Sven Goran Eriksson, who absolutely adored him, when he should have told him to shut up and continue doing a very good job on the right of midfield. The fact that England accidentally managed to retire Paul Scholes, who for a period might actually have been the best midfielder in the world (unlike Beckham), was a bit of a f*ck up to say the least.

No, not the best in the world, but one of the best from most of this island in recent years, which is what this thread concerns.

Totally agree about Scholes, a magnificent midfielder.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, not the best in the world, but one of the best from most of this island in recent years, which is what this thread concerns.

Totally agree about Scholes, a magnificent midfielder.

The England set up blatantly prioritised their celebrity midfielder over their most gifted one. Gerrard was better than Beckham at their respective peaks too.

On 10/11/2016 at 20:40, Slenderman said:

Like I said; when his fame outweighed his talent he got tossed about like a hot potato.

Decent player, but no danger he should be in a England/Scotland XI.

You know your career is going nowhere when your forced to work in Madrid, Milan, LA and Paris. 

Archived