The Sons v The Rovers

2 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

Lighten up man.

I know theres a bit of post match interview bingo with stevie, but you ve made your mind up before we ve kicked a ball/scored/played well/named the team/reached saturday.

He's not wrong though. 

Aitken's match interview tomorrow will be virtually indistinguishable to every other one this season. Littered with football cliches, lame excuses and absolutely zero insight into how he plans to get us playing better*

*that's because we're playing exactly the only way he seems to know - shitfestingly.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

He's not wrong though. 

Aitken's match interview tomorrow will be virtually indistinguishable to every other one this season. Littered with football cliches, lame excuses and absolutely zero insight into how he plans to get us playing better*

*that's because we're playing exactly the only way he seems to know - shitfestingly.

Any post match interview with a manager or player is a waste of everyone's time and effort. Do you ever listen to Radio Scotland between 5.00 and 5.30pm on a Saturday? Nothing original is ever said and nothing of use is ever learned by the listeners. A complete waste of time and Sons TV would be better without Stevie's wisdom.

Just now, Nowhereman said:

Any post match interview with a manager or player is a waste of everyone's time and effort. Do you ever listen to Radio Scotland between 5.00 and 5.30pm on a Saturday? Nothing original is ever said and nothing of use is ever learned by the listeners. A complete waste of time and Sons TV would be better without Stevie's wisdom.

Agree with all of that.

Why did we appoint him then? Did stranraer, under aitken, shitfest their way by us twice in the cup? Did stranraer make the playoffs on the back of a season of defensive football? Was he one of the best regarded prospects, and sought out by us, on the back of how his teams shut down games?

27 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Why did we appoint him then? Did stranraer, under aitken, shitfest their way by us twice in the cup? Did stranraer make the playoffs on the back of a season of defensive football? Was he one of the best regarded prospects, and sought out by us, on the back of how his teams shut down games?

His Stranraer side were excellent to watch. They didn't play football anything like what we are watching. They scored plenty, conceded plenty and genuinely played with no fear. I doubt you'll find anyone who can see similarities between his Stranraer team and this side, which makes it even more frustrating and bizarre that he has only ever played one way with us (aside from Morton/Hibs and St Mirren early last season)

7 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Assuming the absolute worst case scenario that all the players mentioned above are out, it leaves us with 11 fit outfield players: Barr, Buchanan, Pettigrew, Harvie, Stevo, Stanton, Smith, Todd, Stirling, McCallum and Thomson.

Going to be a very young bench I think.

Anyway, assuming that's how things are I'd imagine we'll go like this:

Alan Martin

David Smith Darren Barr Gregor Buchanan Daniel Harvie

Josh Todd Sam Stanton Ryan Stevenson Andy Stirling

Donald McCallum

Robert Thomson

Subs: Pettigrew, Ewings, The Moonster, Iain Wilson, a wean, another wean, Roddy the planning guy.

That midfield looks solid...Can imagine there will be plenty of tackling going on there.

4 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Id have barr in cm and pettigrew at cb. Swap stanton and todd, stevenson on the bench.

I'd start The Moonster, the Tory chap from Brabco and planning Roddy ahead of Pettigrew to be brutally honest. He looked absolutely miles off it last week, and was beyond brutal at centre-half against East Fife in July. He doesn't communicate and he seems terrified to stick in a tackle.

I'd start The Moonster, the Tory chap from Brabco and planning Roddy ahead of Pettigrew to be brutally honest. He looked absolutely miles off it last week, and was beyond brutal at centre-half against East Fife in July. He doesn't communicate and he seems terrified to stick in a tackle.

When you decide you don't like a player you don't hold back do you?

16 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

When you decide you don't like a player you don't hold back do you?

Nope. I'm rarely wrong either. I considered one against Frazer Wright in his early days, but he won me over away at Raith when he kicked the ball off an injured player and out for a goal kick. He then became one of my collection of top boys who I won't criticise unless it's absolutely necessary. See also Mark Mclaughlin (head first tackle), Bryan Prunty (doesn't need explaining), Danny Rogers (outstanding goalkeeper who I loved watching), Kevin Nicol (hard as....), Jim Lister (Getting punched in the head by David McGurn scoring his hat-trick), Seb Osei-Obengo (still regularly likes our tweets and has his shirt as his Twitter profile picture )and (my hero) Chris 'Hacksaw' Duggan. He gained immortality in my eyes when he celebrated winning a foul.

Some of it - as you can tell - is said in jest, some of it is as a result of my agenda against the player. Currently I've seen nothing to suggest that Pettigrew (a player who got mixed reviews from Stranraer fans) is up to this level. The fact that Aitken would rather play David Smith at RB confirms he agrees with me.

Last season Gallagher got it mainly because we had to shunt Jamie Lindsay (technically our best central midfielder) out wide. At least he's off the hook at the moment - especially as he hadn't actually been that bad post suspension and pre injury.

My Pettigrew agenda is nothing compared to my Lee Mair one.

I've been to three away games already this season. Given the potential traffic issues through there today, this game wasn't a contender for away game number 4.

An afternoon of tennis, football scores and rugby for me.

Decent day through in Fife. The day started off freezing but it's now up to a balmy 6 degrees C. I'm assuming the game will definitely be on.

Archived