The Grand Tour

jimmy boo

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Pretty tired of the specials being turned into awful puns, I will reserve judgement on the special but feel the three of them are at their best when they are driving something that shouldn't make it like a $1000 car on a fly drive holiday, rather than just chucking money at utterly crazy cars.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Pretty tired of the specials being turned into awful puns, I will reserve judgement on the special but feel the three of them are at their best when they are driving something that shouldn't make it like a $1000 car on a fly drive holiday, rather than just chucking money at utterly crazy cars.

I particularly hated the way they shredded May's beautiful boat in the last outing. The Mongolian adventure was cracking though.

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I particularly hated the way they shredded May's beautiful boat in the last outing. The Mongolian adventure was cracking though.

Yeh the Mongolian one is up there with the best TG/GT episodes

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 101 said:

All the PR for this has been written by 12 year old boys who have just learnt about puns. Incredible that Amazon have given this the green light.

I think this episode is what is known as a “contractual obligation”.   

zzz 😴 

49 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think this episode is what is known as a “contractual obligation”.   

zzz 😴 

Have you watched it? 

I've not watched it yet but during peak lockdown Clarkson called it the best special ever. I think the Russian one they have put off has the potential to be better provided they go back to the basic principle of driving cheap unsuitable cars places they shouldn't be.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Have you watched it? 

I've not watched it yet but during peak lockdown Clarkson called it the best special ever. I think the Russian one they have put off has the potential to be better provided they go back to the basic principle of driving cheap unsuitable cars places they shouldn't be.

Just watched it this afternoon. Its not even close to being the best special.  Quite evident they put it out to appease the fans.  The first 20 minutes is basically filler.  At least the boats episode filled the full length.  

It feels like an old episode strung out too long. 

Just watched it this afternoon. Its not even close to being the best special.  Quite evident they put it out to appease the fans.  The first 20 minutes is basically filler.  At least the boats episode filled the full length.  

It feels like an old episode strung out too long. 

It’s feels like 2 episodes turned into one.

Did I enjoy it? Yes I did. In fact most of Amazon’s specials have been good. But the boats one, and the Mongolia ones were so much better.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

It’s feels like 2 episodes turned into one.

Did I enjoy it? Yes I did. In fact most of Amazon’s specials have been good. But the boats one, and the Mongolia ones were so much better.

I only like the specials.  

I liked it, a bit less ladsy than Top Gear, but maybe that's my age telling, and theirs.

Spoiler

The way they play with suspending disbelief can get a bit annoying sometimes, fine with Clarkson fixing his car and building a beach bar, but Hammond burning his balls with that food pack was just cringey. And blowing up the beach was a bit unnecessary.  A great advert for Reunion and Madagascar though, a pleasant travelogue with cars really.

I actually really enjoyed that. 

Spoiler

I thought the cars were just going to be utterly excessive but turns out the roads in Madagascar really are that bad. A few genuinely laugh out loud moments and I agree they have toned down the "ladsy" attitude. But disagree with @welshbairn I though Hammond really did burn himself. 

I used to enjoy the special episodes of Top Gear, I'm not a car man but just liked the patter, got advertised the new one they've done on Amazon and started watching the boat one they did last year, very enjoyable so far. How many special type episodes have they done, I'd love to watch more but really cba watching the car reviews and studio segments just the big trip and clapped out car challenges??

17 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I used to enjoy the special episodes of Top Gear, I'm not a car man but just liked the patter, got advertised the new one they've done on Amazon and started watching the boat one they did last year, very enjoyable so far. How many special type episodes have they done, I'd love to watch more but really cba watching the car reviews and studio segments just the big trip and clapped out car challenges??

They've dropped the studio bits. Give the Mongolian one a watch.