Brechin v Rovers

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Then another £ 150k to re-lay it .  Vicious circle if you ask me. 

Yes so 150k to redo after ur first ten that means 410.000 ur 2nd ten year stint =  profit 250.000 approx after ur maintenance on it for the ten years 

No brainer 

11 minutes ago, Wasps1 said:

Yes so 150k to redo after ur first ten that means 410.000 ur 2nd ten year stint =  profit 250.000 approx after ur maintenance on it for the ten years 

No brainer 

Not quite a no-brainer. Not everyone could guarantee the £800 pw profit. Nearly every school has one or more of these pitches - competition.

12 minutes ago, Wasps1 said:

No brainer 

Aye but you then need to fill all the booking slots to get your money back. Highly unlikely around here.

People on here seem pretty feckin thick. Brechin have been struggling all week with injuries, Chairman to Manager "do you want us to put the covers down" Manager - "are you mad if this game has a chance of going off leave the covers off." You can imagine it, is this any different to teams dicking about when they are leading 1-0? Yes it might be unsporting but use what you can when you can if you have to.

The covers would not have gone down.

39 minutes ago, Wasps1 said:

No brainer 

Not exactly a no brainer.  Compare that to our £100k (estimated)  to re-lay and drain our grass pitch then a max of £10 - £15k  a year to maintain and the prospect of happier players playing on grass.  For a lower league club to be bulldozed into installing plastic based on unrealistic income revenues  by companies calling it a no brainer ( especially for our town of 7000 population) is akin to the ridiculous SPL stipulation of having a minimum 10000 seater stadium.  

Yes we have the odd problem like Saturday but in the grand scheme of things, smaller clubs putting themselves under huge financial strain with the worry of filling all the hire slots  for 10 years hoping that people don't get fed up with it, is just too big a gamble. I know that Montrose had to find ingenious ways to help pay for their 2nd surface so it doesn't all just fall into place as simply as you put it. 

We actually have 2 Premier clubs who hire the pitch for their U19 games .  I don't know the figure but I believe it goes a large way to subsidising the maintenance costs. 

The question is are any covers really effective. I remember a Forfar v Rangers game getting called off about 4 or 5 yrs ago and they had 4 sets of covers down. Cowdenbeath have also had problems with covers.
Remember putting covers down for the boxing day game with Dunfermilne two yrs ago. 14 degrees when we put them down, come boxing day we couldn't even lift them because they were frozen to the ground. I thought bloody waste of time and sweat for nothing. Haven't helped since and I believe others feel the same way. Small clubs pushed into spending money they can ill afford to still have a fifty fifty chance the game will go ahead. Not worth the hassle.

The covers won't work if there is severe frost Thursday / Friday wasn't severe frost 

Dec Jan and Feb can be  severe frost 

What I can say Brechin have spent loads on the pitch over the last 2 seasons drainage wise 

I think this is what I'd prefer to believe. Despite their personnel difficulties, I'd think City would have preferred the game to proceed yesterday, rather than a Tuesday in March. I'm not sure that human effort could have thawed out a partially frozen pitch.

Bold, genuine question, do we have any covers for such a situation?

I think I know the answer, just thought you would know for sure

Just now, sam2304 said:

Bold, genuine question, do we have any covers for such a situation?

I think I know the answer, just thought you would know for sure

No, Sam - I wouldn't know. I'd turn to an insider like yourself for that sort of info! ;)

22 minutes ago, Wasps1 said:

The covers won't work if there is severe frost Thursday / Friday wasn't severe frost 

What I can say Brechin have spent loads on the pitch over the last 2 seasons drainage wise 

I beg to differ.  Perhaps the frost wasn't so severe in the central belt but from Wednesday through to today our temperatures fluctuated from around -4 to not much above 0 degrees.  The sun through the day managed to get rid of the rime on  the surface of the non shade areas but the areas of shade never got that chance and got continually worse even under the covers.   The ares of concern were the bits with less grass cover which go solid overnight after even one night's frost.  

Incidentally 90% of the pitch in the sunlight was playable. Laying covers over these areas would have been counter productive as they wouldn't have had the benefit of the sun and the covers might actually have hindered the natural thawing process. 

At midday yesterday the temperature was 1 degree and by 2 pm it was 0. Pitch would've froze by 3pm. Wasted journies and wasted money and folk moaning about a late call off.
We can't win

17 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Wouldn't have been surprised if Darren doddle was out with a hose on Friday night just to help sort the park for Saturday

You may be correct, Chris -  what do I know? But it would have been in Brechin's interest, economically, to get the game played. The pies were ordered!

Archived