Brechin City v Ayr United

AyrWeGo

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Covers are supposed to protect a pitch from frost not really for thawing it.  

I would imagine the issue is that when they went down it was solid. 

The covers were actually put down to protect the majority of the pitch which was still soft. Heavy frosts were forecast for Wednesday night through to Friday  which proved to be correct with temps of minus 6 recorded.  It was felt that the pitch might have had a better chance than not being covered at all which again proved to be the right call.  Unfortunately it was the same areas in the shade which proved to be the problem.  The frost was starting to come out on Saturday morning but not as quick as to convince the ref. 

If folk could stop replying to 'citydiehard' who I rather wisely have on ignore (but can still see his waste of server space in other people's quotes), that would be great.

Edit: apologies CTID for momentarily mixing you up with citydiehard (thought I'd got away with a quick edit but originalhedge got in too quickly with his reply below, grrrr)

11 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

The covers were actually put down to protect the majority of the pitch which was still soft. Heavy frosts were forecast for Wednesday night through to Friday  which proved to be correct with temps of minus 6 recorded.  It was felt that the pitch might have had a better chance than not being covered at all which again proved to be the right call.  Unfortunately it was the same areas in the shade which proved to be the problem.  The frost was starting to come out on Saturday morning but not as quick as to convince the ref. 

Cheers, suits me better fortunately.  

Should have did what Cowdenbeath did. 

IMG_20161127_113856.jpg

4 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You called it !  ;)

That might have been an option had the water pipes not frozen as well !!!  :lol:

I spotted when the East Fife game was rearranged for and a wee bit of guesswork ^_^

Does that play a part in being called off under the spectator safety pish? 

Interesting article from Brendan Rodgers in the papers today calling for summer football from February to November.   Excuse me for being pedantic Brendan but is this not November ?  :rolleyes:

Just shows how unpredictable the Scottish weather can be.  I don't think there is actually a time of the year where you can guarantee that games will not be postponed be it frost, flood, wind , snow or whatever.  

Just shows how unpredictable the Scottish weather can be.  I don't think there is actually a time of the year where you can guarantee that games will not be postponed be it frost, flood, wind , snow or whatever.  

Indeed you cannot guarantee anything, but you can certainly reduce the risk of postponement quite considerably.

What would you give an estimate of a 'spring/summer/autumn : winter' ratio regarding postponements? (genuine question)

Why would taking our league season and moving it to a different time to most of Europe help anything other than avoiding a couple midweek ganes? 

All that needs to change is this round to be played at a different time, call offs every year in this round.  A week or two earlier IMO. 

50 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Indeed you cannot guarantee anything, but you can certainly reduce the risk of postponement quite considerably.

What would you give an estimate of a 'spring/summer/autumn : winter' ratio regarding postponements? (genuine question)

Itzdark's comment below just about sums it up for me.  

However most of our postponements of recent years , to my recollection, have been through January / February .  This is the time when the pitch would be getting prepared for the season ahead with pre season games etc.   With freezing temperatures likely at this time , what are the chances of players building themselves up to match fitness while not being able to play games other than on plastic pitches which are fully booked up with teams in similar circumstances to ourselves ?   Just one scenario.  

Also most grass pitches require extensive maintenance like overseeding , scarifying etc.  This is presently done in the close season when seed can germinate without play disturbance.   When is this going to be fitted in should the season change ?    Pitches will suffer long term . 

People like Brendan shout without realising the knock on effect a change like this would have.  Football is a winter sport,  not out of random choice but I would say out of sensible planning taking all factors into consideration. It should , in my opinion,  stay that way. 

39 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Why would taking our league season and moving it to a different time to most of Europe help anything other than avoiding a couple midweek ganes? 

All that needs to change is this round to be played at a different time, call offs every year in this round.  A week or two earlier IMO. 

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Cheers, suits me better fortunately.  

Should have did what Cowdenbeath did. 

IMG_20161127_113856.jpg

That's was probably in August, the coldest ground I've been too.

Interesting article from Brendan Rodgers in the papers today calling for summer football from February to November.   Excuse me for being pedantic Brendan but is this not November ?  :rolleyes:

I maybe wrong here but when we played Aberdeen in the friendly at the start of the season, wasn't there a massive thunder storm the day before (Saturday). Happened about 2 30. From what I was told they were sweeping water away from the boardroom area to save it from being flooded and the pitch was completely under water. Game would've had a very late call off.
This was in June.
Doesn't matter when games are played there's always a chance games will be off.

Archived