Other teams' derbies - who do you root for?

AyrshireTon

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2016 at 13:34, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Just read the wiki page for sporting rivalries in the UK. My indifference to most was monstrous. But for all the ones listed where I might have a slight inclination either way I'll put the winners in bold (I don't think some of these are derbies mind you)

Alloa v Falkirk
East Stirlingshire v Falkirk
Brora v Wick
Dunfermline v Falkirk
Queen of the South v Stranraer

Fife derbies order of preference: 1: Raith Rovers, 2: Cowdenbeath, 3: Dunfermline, 4: East Fife
Glasgow derbies order of preference: 1: Queens Park. 2: Clyde/Partick Thistle. 4: Old Firm
Lanarkshire derbies order of preference: 1: Accies. 2 Rovers. 3: Motherwell. 4: Airdrie
Tayside derbies order of preference: 1: St. Johnstone. 2: Dundee/United

Worldwide:

Argentina v England
Australia v New Zealand
North Korea v South Korea
Canada v USA
England v Germany
England v Wales
Boca Juniors v River Plate
Vitoria Guimares v Braga
Olimpia Satu Mare v Baia Mare
Atalanta v Brescia
Atalanta v Inter/AC Milan
Leyton Orient v West Ham
QPR v Chelsea
Everton v Liverpool
AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons

How the Hell can Argentina v England be considered a derby?

Dundee Derby - Dundee v Dundee Utd

Old Firm - Celtic v Rangers (Whoever the result pisses off more)

New Firm - Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Newer Firm - Celtic v Sevco

Glasgow Derby - PARTICK THISTLE v Celtic/Sevco

Ayrshire Derby - Ayr Utd v Kilmarnock

El Kessico - Inverness CT v Ross County

Manchester Derby - Man Utd v Man City

Merseyside Derby - Everton v Liverpool

London Derbies - Chelsea

The term "Derby" is clearly being abused here.  It's a match between two geographically close rivals.  Thus terms such as "The Lanarkshire Derby" are dross as it could involve any of, at least, 4 Lanarkshire teams.  Same for Fife, Angus or the recently-manufactured Tayside derbies.  I know this leaves some teams with Derby envy but we have to get over this "I want a derby too" shite.  So Scotland's derbies and who I prefer are:

Glasgow: Rangers

Dundee:  The Dees

Teuchter: Couldn't care

Edinburgh: Hibs

Renfrewshire: Morton

Ayrshire: Killie

Any other so-called derby is a marketing sop to the feeble-minded.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The term "Derby" is clearly being abused here.  It's a match between two geographically close rivals.  Thus terms such as "The Lanarkshire Derby" are dross as it could involve any of, at least, 4 Lanarkshire teams.  Same for Fife, Angus or the recently-manufactured Tayside derbies.  I know this leaves some teams with Derby envy but we have to get over this "I want a derby too" shite.  So Scotland's derbies and who I prefer are:

I'm prepared to accept derbies with a bit of distance if there's nothing much closer.

The way derby is sometimes just used these days for rivalry, or even fixture, really pisses me off though.

Wrong in Angus

Arbroath v Montrose is definitely treated as a derby. Fermers v Brechin is also a derby. Arbroath v Fermers or Brechin not so much and likewise when everybody else plays each other. Not so sure on Fife but think it's the same.

Fife derbies are not so cut and dried in terms of the big one. Most EF fans see Raith as our main rivals. Many Raith fans see the Pars game as their big derby, while Pars fans look towards Falkirk as their main rivalry...  

British football is complete and utter horseshit not remotely interested in any of it.  Imagine taking an interest in the fucking black Country derby and not el clasico holy f**k might as well just say you don't like football. 

Personally like to see barca,  boca and ac win their derbies and anyone England are playing to win, apart from that don't care. 

43 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Fife derbies are not so cut and dried in terms of the big one. Most EF fans see Raith as our main rivals. Many Raith fans see the Pars game as their big derby, while Pars fans look towards Falkirk as their main rivalry...  

I think even this is debatable, Raith will always be the main Fife derby for me and many other Pars fans, and Raith hate the Pars (too the point of obsession for some on here). The Falkirk thing seems more one sided, I guess their games against East Stirlingshire were few and far between.

As for what Kincardine said, East End Park and Stark's are about 15-20 minutes from each other, similar to Celtic Park-Ibrox, Easter Road-Tynecastle. Where as the Ayrshire and Renfrewshire teams are both half an hour plus.

The only manufactured derby I can think of is between a 128 year old club and a 4 year old club in Glasgow

4 hours ago, Torpar said:

I think even this is debatable, Raith will always be the main Fife derby for me and many other Pars fans, and Raith hate the Pars (too the point of obsession for some on here). The Falkirk thing seems more one sided, I guess their games against East Stirlingshire were few and far between.

As for what Kincardine said, East End Park and Stark's are about 15-20 minutes from each other, similar to Celtic Park-Ibrox, Easter Road-Tynecastle. Where as the Ayrshire and Renfrewshire teams are both half an hour plus.

The only manufactured derby I can think of is between a 128 year old club and a 4 year old club in Glasgow

Ayr to Kilmarnock is about 15/20 mins. Certainly not over half an hour.

5 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

British football is complete and utter horseshit not remotely interested in any of it.  Imagine taking an interest in the fucking black Country derby and not el clasico holy f**k might as well just say you don't like football. 

Personally like to see barca,  boca and ac win their derbies and anyone England are playing to win, apart from that don't care. 

Argentinian football :lol: 

On 22/11/2016 at 19:26, The_Kincardine said:

Must have imagined going to those games in Glasgow to play Partick Thistle and Queen's Park...

The Local Derbies:

Tannadice to Dens Park: 0.2 miles

Cliftonhill to New Broomfield: 3.1 miles

Easter Road to Tynecastle: 3.6 miles 

Celtic Park to Hampden Stadium: 3.9 miles 

Fir Park to New Douglas Park: 4 miles

Celtic Park to Firhill Stadium: 4.6 miles

Ochilview to Falkirk Stadium 4.9 miles

Firhill Stadium to Hampden Stadium: 5.1 miles

Firhill Stadium to Ibrox: 5.2 miles

Hampden Stadium to Ibrox: 5.3 miles

East End Park to Central Park: 5.5 miles

Celtic Park to Ibrox: 5.5 miles

Alloa to Forthbank Stadium: 7 miles  

Cliftonhill to New Douglas Park: 7.1 miles

St Mirren Stadium to Ibrox: 7.1 miles 

Fir Park to New Broomfield: 7.4 miles

Broadwood to New Broomfield: 7.7 miles

Cliftonhill to Fir Park: 8.5 miles

Central Park to Starks Park: 8.8 miles

Glebe Park to Links Park: 9 miles

Forthbank Stadium to Ochilview: 9.2 miles 

Cliftonhill to Celtic Park: 10.3 miles

Bayview Stadium to Starks Park: 10.5 miles

Ochilview to Alloa: 10.8 miles

Gayfield to Glebe Park: 11.3 miles

Dumbarton to St Mirren Stadium: 11.6 miles

Gayfield to Links Park: 11.6 miles

Alloa to Falkirk: 11.8 miles

Ochilview to Broadwood: 11.9 miles 

East End Park to Starks Park: 12 miles

Gayfield to Station Park: 12.4 miles

Glebe Park to Station Park: 13 miles

Forthbank Stadium to Falkirk Stadium: 13.3 miles

Victoria Park to Caledonian Stadium: 13.5 miles

Alloa to East End Park: 14.1 miles

Somerset Park to Rugby Park: 14.3 miles

St Mirren Stadium to Cappielow: 15.4 miles

Almondvale to Tynecastle: 15.7 miles 

Dens Park to Station Park: 16.4 miles

Falkirk Stadium to Broadwood: 16.5 miles

Tannadice to Station Park: 16.6 miles

Bayview Stadium to Central Park: 16.8 miles

Links Park to Station Park: 18.2 miles

East End Park to Falkirk Stadium 18.2 miles

Tannadice to Gayfield: 19.8 miles

Dens Park to Gayfield: 19.9 miles

Firhill to Dumbaron: 20.6 miles

Bayview Stadium to East End Park: 20.9 miles 

Alloa to Central Park: 21 miles

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm shocked Dens to Tannadice is as far as 0.2 miles. We are literally across the road from each other. Arbroath is not a Derby for any of the Dundee clubs.

Postcodes.

If the definition of a derby is proximity then Arbroath v either of the Dundee sides qualifies as much as Montrose v Forfar Athletic...

Archived