Rangers Songs

Honest question out of curiosity...

I was looking at some old photos of football grounds down the years and noticed Ibrox in the sixties wasn't the sea of Union Jacks it is now. In fact, there were none.

So I was wondering... when did they start singing Rule Britannia and GSTQ? Is it a relatively recent thing as well?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I was looking at some old photos of football grounds down the years and noticed Ibrox in the sixties wasn't the sea of Union Jacks it is now. In fact, there were none.

So I was wondering... when did they start singing Rule Britannia and GSTQ? Is it a relatively recent thing as well?

It dates back to when the apostrophe was introduced. Not that you'd know that.

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

It dates back to when the apostrophe was introduced. Not that you'd know that.

It's a reasonable question to ask, though. When did the 'most British of British teams' meme kick in?

36 minutes ago, The DA said:

It's a reasonable question to ask, though. When did the 'most British of British teams' meme kick in?

When the club realised they could 'sell it' to the hoardes perhaps?

Essentially the rangers whole identity is a marketing campaign. :lol:

9 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Look at a photograph of any football ground from that era and the only thing you see a sea of is flat caps.

As for your question, i've no idea.

I would doubt if there would have been any need to assert a British identity in the 60s.The majority of Scots voted Conservative in the 50s and it would have been taken for granted that everyone regarded themselves as British and Scottish. In the 70s the Irish troubles escalated and British identity has come under increasing threat since then from Irish republicans in Scotland and latterly Scottish nationalism.

10 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

The pro unionist songs have always been sung , in the 60s and seventies you would have probably heard more orange folk songs than anything else at ibrox along with the traditional rangers songs . The troubles brought the more controversial songs . the Union flags will have always been there in some degree 

Rangers evolved as a club that represented Scottish Protestants in Glasgow. Tens of thousands had migrated between Scotland and the province over the centuries- hardly surprising that aspects of culture were transported back and forth. Not surprising that parts of that culture were exhibited when they got together.

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I would doubt if there would have been any need to assert a British identity in the 60s.The majority of Scots voted Conservative in the 50s and it would have been taken for granted that everyone regarded themselves as British and Scottish. In the 70s the Irish troubles escalated and British identity has come under increasing threat since then from Irish republicans in Scotland and latterly Scottish nationalism.

what is british identity?

this isn't me being smart or giving you cheek, i just have never understood it, i feel different parts of each country are totally different to others.

what is british identity?

this isn't me being smart or giving you cheek, i just have never understood it, i feel different parts of each country are totally different to others.

Different things for different people- same as a Scottish identity. Basically just seeing themselves as British and being proud of British values, people and history.

But for large swathes of rangers fans their national identity will be intertwined with the Christian values, monarchy, social conservatism, patriotism, respect for the armed forces etc

15 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Different things for different people- same as a Scottish identity. Basically just seeing themselves as British and being proud of British values, people and history.

But for large swathes of rangers fans their national identity will be intertwined with the Christian values, monarchy, social conservatism, patriotism, respect for the armed forces etc

A parody of themselves. 

Christian values lol, how many out of 50 thousand at ibrox do you think attend church? I'd guess at less than 1%

Christian values = hating other Christian religions

Archived