Fidel Castro

NotThePars

Slavery still exists in Brazil lol. Argentina had one of the strongest starting points in Latin America and yet still has 32% living below the poverty line? Cuba is demonstrably not blessed with the same benefits these two massive nations have and yet they still devoted far more time and effort to erasing poverty within their countries. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Judging the standards and successes of every nation state on earth by the markings of a good liberal western democracy which has usually been given ample time, economic maturity and political development is definitely a worthwhile endeavour.

Castro and his stooges were in charge for 57 years. They made zero effort to liberlise the political life of its people.

But this is alright with you because, like the Taliban and Saddam, he said rude things about America. 

But hey he might have relented a little on his homophobia so doubleplusgood!

Comparing Castro to Saddam and the Taliban :lol:

Bringing in the Orwell speak :lol:

LGBT people (including myself) have acknowledged that he has spoke of his regret at not paying enough attention to the plight of LGBT Cubans. You also chose to ignore the rapidly increasing accessibility for trans treatment in the Cuban healthcare system. :lol:

Look at how raging you are that people (and most of them people of colour), on balance, are looking back fondly at Castro. Sorry people aren't going to remember Tony Blair and your mates that lost their jobs last May in this way. :lol:

The USA spent decades trying to get rid of this guy under numerous political leaders. We elect Trump and 3 weeks later the b*****d is dead. The winning is just starting. We are going to win and win and win until we are sick of winning so much. MakingAmericaGreatAgain.

8 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

The USA spent decades trying to get rid of this guy under numerous political leaders. We elect Trump and 3 weeks later the b*****d is dead. The winning is just starting. We are going to win and win and win until we are sick of winning so much. MakingAmericaGreatAgain.

3 weeks on and it's a miracle we aren't all dead yet. 

If only George Washington had engaged in public execution of opponents after the American Revolution, set up a lifelong dictatorship where he jailed and tortured political opponents, nationalized all private property, started a secret police force which watched all workplaces and social gatherings, drove religious people underground, created an economic system which allowed for near 0% economic growth, and passed on power to his family members, the USA might have a 5% higher literacy rate. What a waste.

If only George Washington had engaged in public execution of opponents after the American Revolution, set up a lifelong dictatorship where he jailed and tortured political opponents, nationalized all private property, started a secret police force which watched all workplaces and social gatherings, drove religious people underground, created an economic system which allowed for near 0% economic growth, and passed on power to his family members, the USA might have a 5% higher literacy rate. What a waste.

Yeah cos those circumstances are comparable. Ya twat.

A lot is made of literacy rates in Cuba as if Castro magically made everybody able to read but Cuban literacy rates were on a steady rise from 1900 - 1950 according to UNESCO and continued on a par with countries like Chile until today. Chile and Cuba were at near 80% in 1950 and are at the high 90% mark now.

cuba.jpg

http://www.unesco.org/education/GMR2006/full/chapt8_eng.pdf

Castro said he wouldn't die until the American state was dead and fair play he lived to see Donald Trump elected so why bother living to see the inevitable.

12 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Hitler had "unprecedented" levels of growth and employment. 

Stalin had "unprecedented"  levels of literacy and health care. 

Mao had "unprecedented" levels of literacy and health care. 

Dictators often have good records as long as you long at the right records.

As for the Africa thing, all I can see is he spent about 10% of his countries GDP preventing the pro-Soviet MPLA being replaced by the pro American UNITA, had Namibia get multi party elections in 1991 rather than 1994 and no other effect anywhere else. 

His over throw of the previous regime was highly commendable but he also brought the world to the brink of annihilation. In what way was he better than  Honecker, Ceausescu or other dictators? 

Hmmm. He was the excuse used by Kruschev to nearly bring the world to the brink of annihilation. And I'm not sure we would have been annihilated. Thankfully, we'll never know.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I wonder what the chairman of the Fidel Castro Assassination Committee is thinking now.
"I have been doing this job for more that 50 years - it's the only job I have ever known.  What am I going to do now?"

Claim a successful hit by using the time method. You have to be patient but it never fails.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

I wonder what the chairman of the Fidel Castro Assassination Committee is thinking now.
"I have been doing this job for more that 50 years - it's the only job I have ever known.  What am I going to do now?"

He should retire if he's been working for 50 years

Hmmm. He was the excuse used by Kruschev to nearly bring the world to the brink of annihilation. And I'm not sure we would have been annihilated. Thankfully, we'll never know.

Khrushchev bringing the world to the brink? Just the Russians then?

Hmm.

Archived