Can any club compete with Celtic, ever again?

9 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

I like Peter Lawwell, I know there are Celtic fans out there who you could maybe describe as anti-Lawwell but personally I think he's done a smashing job at Celtic.  My understanding is that he is a life long Celtic fan but in my eyes he's a business man first and foremost.  So whichever "story" makes the most money for Celtic is the "story" Lawwell will chase.

I think that in most ways Lawwell has actually done an outstanding job, but the volume of New Labour and now Conservative politicians who have been in and out of that boardroom makes a lot of the club's political posturing a bit rich. He's also talking pompously-phrased nonsense when it comes to sovereignty, although ultimately I get what he means. I think the one thing that us non-OF supporters don't point out enough is that there's no chance the two Glasgow clubs would be the size they are now if they hadn't spent however many years dominating the competition in Scotland. Sunderland, for example, are a big club, but they don't win trophies or play in Europe.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2 December 2016 at 23:18, Booker-T said:

i get the point of the topic....

but it's based on the assumption that everything will stay as it is.... one hardcore Aberdonian euromillions win could change everything... or even a nouveau riche jambo....

Over 20 years ago one canadian citizen changed scottish football, history repeats

Too sensible a post for this section 

5 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I think that in most ways Lawwell has actually done an outstanding job, but the volume of New Labour and now Conservative politicians who have been in and out of that boardroom makes a lot of the club's political posturing a bit rich. He's also talking pompously-phrased nonsense when it comes to sovereignty, although ultimately I get what he means. I think the one thing that us non-OF supporters don't point out enough is that there's no chance the two Glasgow clubs would be the size they are now if they hadn't spent however many years dominating the competition in Scotland. Sunderland, for example, are a big club, but they don't win trophies or play in Europe.

The days of Celtic being the club for the poor and oppressed are long gone.  Despite what the odd PR release from the club itself and what a section of the support tries to cling on to, we're Celtic Football Club, the business, just like every other football club.  So having Tories on the board isn't a huge shock, not for me anyway.  You are correct in the sense that it's no coincidence that more successful clubs have larger fan bases.

7 minutes ago, TheCelt67 said:

The days of Celtic being the club for the poor and oppressed are long gone.  Despite what the odd PR release from the club itself and what a section of the support tries to cling on to, we're Celtic Football Club, the business, just like every other football club.  So having Tories on the board isn't a huge shock, not for me anyway.  You are correct in the sense that it's no coincidence that more successful clubs have larger fan bases.

I assume the fanbase will stop singing The Celtic Song?

7 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I assume the fanbase will stop singing The Celtic Song?

I honestly can't see how that follows from what he has written because there's nothing about being political, poor, oppressed or anything else in that song. 

4 minutes ago, The OP said:

I honestly can't see how that follows from what he has written because there's nothing about being political, poor, oppressed or anything else in that song. 

*sigh*

'And when you read its history, it's enough to make your heart go sad, God bless them.'

5 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

*sigh*

'And when you read its history, it's enough to make your heart go sad, God bless them.'

Well if that line refers to the poor Irish immigrants of the East End nobody except Glen Daly sings it these days anyway :lol:

Plus it's acknowledged right there as being in the history, not the present. 

Yours, The OP, President of the Pedantic CSC. 

4 minutes ago, The OP said:

Well if that line refers to the poor Irish immigrants of the East End nobody except Glen Daly sings it these days anyway :lol:

Plus it's acknowledged right there as being in the history, not the present. 

Yours, The OP, President of the Pedantic CSC. 

I googled The Celtic Song. And yes, the board's positioning is often at odds with the sense of identity the club sells. I don't like hypocrisy. 

*and it's just history, not 'the history.' 

15 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I googled The Celtic Song. And yes, the board's positioning is often at odds with the sense of identity the club sells. I don't like hypocrisy. 

*and it's just history, not 'the history.' 

I don't think it's hypocritical to acknowledge the reasons for which the club was founded tbh. I don't think anyone pretends it's not a plc and is therefore basically duty-bound to principally concern itself with making a profit. 

Just now, The OP said:

I don't think it's hypocritical to acknowledge the reasons for which the club was founded tbh. I don't think anyone pretends it's not a plc and therefore is basically duty bound to principally concern itself with making a profit. 

You are making a profit. I have no problem with that. 

I like Peter Lawwell, I know there are Celtic fans out there who you could maybe describe as anti-Lawwell but personally I think he's done a smashing job at Celtic.  My understanding is that he is a life long Celtic fan but in my eyes he's a business man first and foremost.  So whichever "story" makes the most money for Celtic is the "story" Lawwell will chase.

He is a chairman of a plc. His duty is to his shareholders. It's their club

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

He is a chairman of a plc. His duty is to his shareholders. It's their club

Peter Lawwell is not the Chairman, he's the Chief Executive. Ian Bankier is the Chairman. The fans are the customer base.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/27/why-celtic-fans-flew-flag-for-palestine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37154125

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34879014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34895584 

It's not as if politics hasn't been an issue at Celtic recently. 

This is quite far from my original point, which was that Peter Lawwell claimed Celtic were not only the dominant club in Scotland, but could potentially be the same in a fictional British League.

The thing about the EPL is just trying to raise the profile of the club and pander to fans.
You could equally argue that Benfica ( 2 European Cups and a bigger fanbase than Celtic), would be the biggest club in the EPL.
A suggestion which would likely be laughed at by the same people aknowledging the Celtic claim.

My experience of anti-Lawwell sentiments are usually unfounded and ill-informed.
He's cleverly attempting to drag the club into the 21st century in terms of financial clout and mass appeal. Of course he understands there is an element of our fan base who are voracious in their views of how the club should be marketed. But this is often discordant and at odds with how other fans view the clubs history and social meaning.

Celtic Park being the first ground in the UK to install a safe standing area, and customary freezes in season ticket prices shows that Lawwell's very aware that Celtic's core support is the lifeblood of the clubs success.

We're quite lucky to have such a fearless and forward thinking CEO at Celtic.

Archived