Can any club compete with Celtic, ever again?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, throbber said:

you would have thought your mates would have had plenty of time to get used to this by now. 

Nope, loving every fucking second of it,  at this rate we're gonna lap those mutants this season and I'm gonna be there rubbing it into every one of those *****. They're gonna get every wad of cash that was waved in my face, every mocking huddle, every mention of biggins and mcnally in the same breathe as the wife beater and Laudrup, all of it and more, back in their faces ten fold. I waited a long time for it and I'll never tire of it. 

When MK Dons are a better managerial Gig than the third best supported team in Scotland, and Celtic can attract a manager who's last job was at a top EPL side, can any team get near them?

People support clubs for all different reasons. There are lots of reasons to support Celtic. They are very successful, winning trophies regularly and competing in Europe every season. They have a huge support that is very passionate and vocal. The whole of Celtic Park doing "The Huddle" and that "Come on you boys in Green" thing you lot do, are very impressive and looks a lot of fun. You get to rip the piss out of every other Club as your team ease their way to 10 in a row.

Good post by Kneetrembler. Pity the first few posts in response to it offer nothing but ridicule. It is being enjoyable being a Celtic fan just now. As a ST holder for 16yrs running & a fan who was going regularly before I actually got a ST, I've seen the highs & lows. It's not just enough to win the league being a Celtic fan...you have to do it playing good attacking football. The Celtic Way! I can honestly say that despite winning the title 3yrs on the trot under Strachan, the football was dire & not enjoyable, although he did gives us some great nights in Europe. Just now Rodgers has us playing the Celtic Way & it's pretty damn good.

Rangers are the only club with anything close to the supporter numbers. They have endured a torrid time since 2012, yet they still have huge attendances. Albeit, like other larger teams who have found themselves in divisions below the top flight, they have been watching their team winning most of their games and competing for league titles up until this season. Will they manage to keep attendances up at current levels if they go for a prolonged period when they can realistically compete only for 2nd place?

Good points. Rangers crowds were up & down before 2012. I even remember them even getting some poor crowds in the CL & giving away 1000 tickets to the army to fill some seats & still struggled. Their fans rallied behind a cause after 2012 but have had dips in their attendances when the going hasn't been to their liking. If Rangers can get things right both off & on the park then their fans will be there but I suspect that their fans are about to desert the club as we will dominate for the next 2 seasons at least & that in turn will have a knock on affect for their fans who won't take kindly to being so far behind us.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if when the 10 in a row is on the horizon for us, if Rangers somehow muster a big spending spree that they can't afford to pay back & they adopt a win at all cost attitude to prevent us creating history. Previously when we dominated, the powers that be altered the league to hamper us...ahem make the league less boring. Would it surprise me if something happens again. No!

Scottish Football survived as a two horse race. Even during Rangers 9 in a row, several of the titles were won after some close challenges, firstly from Aberdeen and later from Fergus McCann's rejuvenated Celtic. From 1998 until Rangers liquidation in 2012, the titles were shared between them. Can the Game survive a one horse race, with Celtic having the title wrapped up by Christmas year after year?

Yes, but only because there is no alternative.

Personally, it wont affect me going to the matches. A League that will inevitably be won by Celtic, is no different to one that will end up with either them or Rangers winning, which has been the case since 1995/96. Although no team outside these two have won since 1985, there were a few genuine title races involving other clubs during those 10 years. A best of the rest chase for a European spot, whether that's 2nd or 3rd place is enough now for the fans of every team in Scotland outside Rangers and Celtic.

Fair play to you. Got a lot of respect for fans of clubs who don't win a lot but who stick by their club. I feel guys like you often get let down by your fair weather fans who you never fail to see come a cup final.

Will Celtic fans keep buying Season tickets if they continue to have no domestic competition?

I personally will. As others said, I went during the late 80's onwards & watched as we won nothing for 6yrs while our rivals swept all before them & took great delight in reminding us of that fact & also of the fact we were skint & in an old stadium, while they lived it up Beverley Hills style. If only we knew then what we know now.

However, as I said earlier, the Celtic fans demand the club play attacking football & show some ambition. If we continue to do that, we'll retain the more fickle of our fans. If we go back to doing 'just enough' like we did with Deila, then I'd imagine we'd prob lose 10,000-15,000 fans who won't back a board who don't have any ambition to at least try & push to progress in Europe.

Can Rangers find the huge resources needed to challenge Celtic? Will their fans keep turning up at Ibrox if they remain a long way behind ?

Not with the likes of Ashley & King involved. Maybe when those two go & if Rangers put a sensible business plan in place & don't concern themselves with what Celtic are doing then maybe. No to the 2nd part.

Can diddy clubs get new fans to attend games regularly, buying season tickets instead of just turning up for big games, if the league is always a mile out of reach? 

My hope just now lies with Hearts. Their fans seem to be more passionate about their club & loyal to it than Aberdeen & Hibs as much as it pains me to say it. While Aberdeen talk about building a new ground for years, Hearts come in & get it moving. If their fans stand by them & continue fill Tynecastle when it goes up to 20,000, then who knows where it will take them. Will they expand further still after a few years? I certainly hope so.

You should be thanking us for making it so good to be a fan of a diddy team. Without us you could be bored of winning trophies. At least when you do win one you can enjoy it more than any other football fan in world football [emoji106]

Tony you're a good poster when you want to be but you seem to get sucked into the OF bluster mindset on occasion. It's not endearing.

Tony you're a good poster when you want to be but you seem to get sucked into the OF bluster mindset on occasion. It's not endearing.

Stop being a fucking bore. I love the way you come across all patronising & put yourself up as judge & jury as to what is allowed to be posted or a good post. I've read some pish posts from yourself & others. I've seen countless topics ruined by the usual suspects & nobody says a word. As soon as a post comes on from a Celtic/Rangers fan you disagree with or dislike, you try to belittle it with the mob mentality.

Seriously, get a grip. How dare a Celtic fan have a wee light hearted post having a laugh. Mind you, you & Tony's back slapping of each other was also becoming a bit nauseating also.

Yes,

On a slightly more significant scale, I remember talk in the mid 90s about how the USA would be an untouchable hegemon following the demise of the evil empire. Nobody expected China to get their shit together. While the US is still dominant, they don't look untouchable now.

The parallels are obvious. I expect China to win the title sometime in the 20s, after Donald trump's disastrous spell as Celtic manager.

Nope, loving every fucking second of it,  at this rate we're gonna lap those mutants this season and I'm gonna be there rubbing it into every one of those *****. They're gonna get every wad of cash that was waved in my face, every mocking huddle, every mention of biggins and mcnally in the same breathe as the wife beater and Laudrup, all of it and more, back in their faces ten fold. I waited a long time for it and I'll never tire of it. 

Tbf I doubt there's a single non-rangers fan (other than MJC) who hasn't utterly enjoyed seeing them lurch from one humiliation to another over the last few years, with the added bonus of their permanently seething fans absolutely hating the fact that they are now totally fucking ordinary.

It's been fantastic and long may it continue.

Stop being a fucking bore. I love the way you come across all patronising & put yourself up as judge & jury as to what is allowed to be posted or a good post. I've read some pish posts from yourself & others. I've seen countless topics ruined by the usual suspects & nobody says a word. As soon as a post comes on from a Celtic/Rangers fan you disagree with or dislike, you try to belittle it with the mob mentality.

Seriously, get a grip. How dare a Celtic fan have a wee light hearted post having a laugh. Mind you, you & Tony's back slapping of each other was also becoming a bit nauseating also.

So much irony here it's unreal.

So, you dislike someone commenting on the quality of others posts then proceed to call me a fucking bore, tony and I nauseating, thread ruining, pish etc etc.

I like tony as a poster, if he was simply having a joke I'll apologise to him. He's capable of balance.

You on the other hand come across like a demented old bat.

So, you dislike someone commenting on the quality of others posts then proceed to call me a fucking bore, tony and I nauseating, thread ruining, pish etc etc.

The very response you have dished out yourself on several occasions. I thought it was the norm to reply like this going by your kind of posts...no?

I like tony as a poster, if he was simply having a joke I'll apologise to him. He's capable of balance.

It was a bit of light hearted banter. Maybe I should now proceed to guffaw and try and take the piss out of you for not being able to see that. No wait, that'd be pretty petty & pathetic.

2 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Ahem, I think you'll find we've had many a glorious triumph in spite of adverse treatment from the Protestants, the Orange Order, the Masons, Hugh Dallas, the SFA and the Moonies.  :rolleyes:

Which shows that the Protestants, the Orange Order, the Masons, Hugh Dallas, the SFA, the Moonies and the jews need to try harder

I was just having a joke but I'm not very good with the wee faces to put that across. Apology accepted [emoji1]

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Which shows that the Protestants, the Orange Order, the Masons, Hugh Dallas, the SFA, the Moonies and the jews need to try harder

Try as they might but nothing will extinguish the beacon for all oppressed peoples worldwide...the famous Celtic Football Club.  I can feel myself welling up here. :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, Marr1 said:

With Aberdeen and Hearts moving/redeveloping their grounds and if Utd and Hibs come back up, it'll make the league a lot more competitive. What a club like Hearts, Aberdeen or any other club need to challenge Celtic, is the presence of a handful of strong clubs who can consistently take points of Celtic and unfortunately Aberdeen are the only club at the minute close to that.

Currently we have a situation where Hibs, United, Falkirk and Dunfermline are all playing in the Championship and are getting bigger crowds than most clubs in the Premiership.

In the next 5 years, I think Scottish football needs to have the big six playing at the level they really should be playing at, to have a proper fight for the title.

They're all playing at precisely the level they should be playing at.  

I know this because of the levels they're playing at.

Archived