Can any club compete with Celtic, ever again?

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

While Bosman did have a big impact I sense that the big, successful teams pre Bosman are still the same big successful teams today in most leagues in Europe.

Yes, it's exacerbated existing imbalance.  Nobody's saying it created a new one.

Either way, it's a bad thing.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor wee drew, his whole life has been consumed by Rangers and his inferiority complex. Just look at Celtic fans on social media, forums/blogs etc, playing second fiddle to us for so long has damaged them.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Poor wee drew, his whole life has been consumed by Rangers and his inferiority complex. Just look at Celtic fans on social media, forums/blogs etc, playing second fiddle to us for so long has damaged them.

No. I'm not a Celtic obsessed freak.

1 hour ago, Greenlantern said:

The Rangers mk2 are coming. Be aware.

We're apparently telling kranjcar to pretend to be injured in order to fraudulently claim his insurance payments......

A top city source.

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 16:45, HibeeJibee said:

There is no question we're living in a golden period for sharing cups. Not only has the last 5 seasons seen more different winners than ever, but for the first time half of OF won none.

Number of different clubs winning cups during 5-season period (1947 = 1946-47 etc.)
1947-1951 ... 5 clubs
1952-1956 ... 8 clubs
1957-1961 ... 7 clubs
1962-1966 ... 3 clubs ... (5 clubs if include Summer Cup)
1967-1971 ... 4 clubs
1972-1976 ... 5 clubs
1977-1981 ... 4 clubs
1982-1986 ... 3 clubs
1987-1991 ... 5 clubs
1992-1996 ... 6 clubs
1997-2001 ... 4 clubs
2002-2006 ... 4 clubs
2007-2011 ... 4 clubs
2012-2016 ... 9 clubs

Clearly the number of slots has varied slightly over the years (though it has mostly been 4) but interesting in comparison to look at the number of different clubs qualifying for Europe.

In this case, the last 5 years are again the first time half of the OF has failed to feature, except 1957-1961.

Number of different clubs qualifying for Europe during 5-season period (1962 = 1962-63 etc.)
1957-1961 ... 4 clubs
1962-1966 ... 9 clubs
1967-1971 ... 10 clubs
1972-1976 ... 8 clubs
1977-1981 ... 6 clubs
1982-1986 ... 6 clubs
1987-1991 ... 8 clubs
1992-1996 ... 10 clubs
1997-2001 ... 9 clubs
2002-2006 ... 9 clubs
2007-2011 ... 11 clubs
2012-2016 ... 8 clubs

i get the point of the topic....

but it's based on the assumption that everything will stay as it is.... one hardcore Aberdonian euromillions win could change everything... or even a nouveau riche jambo....

Over 20 years ago one canadian citizen changed scottish football, history repeats

nothin ever last forever, as long as scottish football exists there will always be the chance of a liecster happening up here, but with the big money down south and the power of contracts very much in the hands of the players its hard to see how anyone can get a team strong enough to win over a long season, id imagin rangers will either become a force or will go bankrupt trying, they wont accept 3rd place miles off

Celtic will soon be miles ahead of the competition in a new British league that embraces 'the natural sovereignty of the United Kingdom' according to Peter Lawwell so it's a moot point:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14945834.We_will_never_give_up_pushing_for_a_British_league__says_Peter_Lawwell/

Time to get the Union Jacks out at Parkhead. 

16 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Celtic will soon be miles ahead of the competition in a new British league that embraces 'the natural sovereignty of the United Kingdom' according to Peter Lawwell so it's a moot point:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14945834.We_will_never_give_up_pushing_for_a_British_league__says_Peter_Lawwell/

Time to get the Union Jacks out at Parkhead. 

Again?  It took us 105 years to get rid of the last one that used to fly over Celtic Park. ;)

1 minute ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

The biggest British football club should be proud of its status, and proud of its patriotic British guardians from Michael Kelly to Baron Livingston.

To be fair, I think Oor Pete is just doing a little bit of pandering and if I am honest, I don't believe he genuinely thinks that.  If there were such a thing as a British league, would Celtic be bigger than they are just now?  Undoubtedly.  Bigger than Man Utd or Liverpool?  Not a chance.

Ah, Michael Kelly.  A man, who still to this day, is in denial about the success Fergus McCann brought to Celtic and still insists that the Kelly's, White's and the Grant's were still the right people to lead Celtic.  A bitter man spouting nonsense is what's left of a somewhat success Lord Provost.

1 minute ago, TheCelt67 said:

To be fair, I think Oor Pete is just doing a little bit of pandering and if I am honest, I don't believe he genuinely thinks that.  If there were such a thing as a British league, would Celtic be bigger than they are just now?  Undoubtedly.  Bigger than Man Utd or Liverpool?  Not a chance.

Ah, Michael Kelly.  A man, who still to this day, is in denial about the success Fergus McCann brought to Celtic and still insists that the Kelly's, White's and the Grant's were still the right people to lead Celtic.  A bitter man spouting nonsense is what's left of a somewhat success Lord Provost.

I found the strength of the phrase 'natural sovereignty of the United Kingdom' very, well, odd. Lawwell goes on about 'the story' but we all know that story contradicts the politics of the board.

I have no idea how big Celtic would be in an imaginary British league.

It is quite funny that one of the biggest, bitterest Unionists in Scotland once ran Celtic (into the ground). 

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 16:01, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Aye true for some not for others.be interesting look at comparative squad sizes for the big teams from then with now. ( by that i mean total players under contract) Cant ever see a team like ajax winning the european cup again. Anyway i wouldnt want to just simply undo it.
There needs to be something massive to superseed it. The un controlled capitalism over the last 20 years has led to some serious domination accross europe. Yes barca real psg are great to watch with their wee flicks and all but you can see that on youtube. For an actual game of fitbaw as a fan you want to see a competition not an easy peasy pumping for the favourates

Not sure what the answer is tho

I think you're being a bit harsh on capitalism. While big clubs have benefitted from big money, most of the damage in this regard has been done by states overprotecting broadcast monopoly power. Less protection equals less value equals smaller payments from the telly equals money more in proportion to gates equals less inequality. Big clubs stay big, but the scale of progression is linear, not geometric. That would be proper capitalism.

Out of the clubs in your example, Real benefitted directly from state intervention when the council wiped their debts.

Plenty of big club's wealth is attributable to other sources of inequality than capitalism. Plenty are rich from feudalism (eg: Man City) or kleptocracy (possibly if an oligarch is involved).

I agree that uncontrolled capitalism creates the conditions for inequality to thrive, but I don't think it necessarily causes it.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

I found the strength of the phrase 'natural sovereignty of the United Kingdom' very, well, odd. Lawwell goes on about 'the story' but we all know that story contradicts the politics of the board.

I have no idea how big Celtic would be in an imaginary British league.

It is quite funny that one of the biggest, bitterest Unionists in Scotland once ran Celtic (into the ground). 

I like Peter Lawwell, I know there are Celtic fans out there who you could maybe describe as anti-Lawwell but personally I think he's done a smashing job at Celtic.  My understanding is that he is a life long Celtic fan but in my eyes he's a business man first and foremost.  So whichever "story" makes the most money for Celtic is the "story" Lawwell will chase.

Archived