Can any club compete with Celtic, ever again?

It's our first season back in the top flight (cue Rangers died in 2012 jibes), but most Bears, certainly on here, know our re-building isn't going to happen overnight to be in a position to challenge C*ltic, never mind Aberdeen and Hearts this season. We'll be ok though and the core of our support will remain. Being in for the long haul is still a lot better than where we found ourselves 4 years ago. Mon The Gers

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't happen as long as the other clubs just moan about the finances instead of trying to build something over time. But like us when it comes to Europe ironically but think Rodgers will change that. Atheltico won the league against two teams with the two best players ever because they adapted their style over time to compete with them. Teams just turning up and trying to keep the score as low as possible won't change anything though. 

Still think we're a stick on for 10 in row. Think the world record is 13 in a row. 

38 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Think I should post this here, a graph I made of all the non-OF clubs (that have crowds of 1000+) attendances over the past 5 seasons:
Untitled.png

And some people still think Aberdeen are a bigger club than the Hertz. titter.png

No one will challenge Celtic while the top clubs play each other 4 times.

Rangers should be concentrating on being a Top 4 club in the immediate future.  They are a long, long way from even being able to challenge, never mind win and if anyone thinks it's a season or two away they are very much mistaken.

Someone will probably come close at some point, but Celtic will likely just end up winning it. Aberdeen made a right arse of challenging them last year and they're unlikely to be as shit as they were under Deila for some time. Quite frankly though, I don't care. It's of little relevance to me or most other supporters. The Premiership is one of the most competitive leagues in Europe, consistently, it isn't all about the title picture. Of course mouth-breathing, EPL fanboy simpletons wheel out the "1 horse race, pointless league!!!" drivel on social media, but, they're mouth-breathing simpletons.  

Also, I do wonder what a top flight consisting of all the er, "big guns" in Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dunfermline, Dundee United, Dundee, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Falkirk & Morton (obviously) would look like, but, I highly doubt it'd be drastically different or would somehow foster a title challenge better than the current. 

6 hours ago, Asap said:

It won't happen as long as the other clubs just moan about the finances instead of trying to build something over time. But like us when it comes to Europe ironically but think Rodgers will change that. Atheltico won the league against two teams with the two best players ever because they adapted their style over time to compete with them. Teams just turning up and trying to keep the score as low as possible won't change anything though. 

Still think we're a stick on for 10 in row. Think the world record is 13 in a row. 

Given the massive disparity in resources between Celtic and everyone else - they can afford a wage bill that's just about as big as the other 11 put together - how do the other teams 'build something over time'?  Every time a club starts to build something, gets a couple of good players to form the spine of the team, Celtic come along and poach them away.

How do or should other clubs cope with that?

Short answer is yes, there is always the odd black swan and Scottish football is no different.

Regards other clubs getting fans to turn out. How many of the clubs in Scotlands top 2 divisions have community liason departments and how active are they in their local communities?

13 hours ago, Marr1 said:

With Aberdeen and Hearts moving/redeveloping their grounds and if Utd and Hibs come back up, it'll make the league a lot more competitive. What a club like Hearts, Aberdeen or any other club need to challenge Celtic, is the presence of a handful of strong clubs who can consistently take points of Celtic and unfortunately Aberdeen are the only club at the minute close to that.

Currently we have a situation where Hibs, United, Falkirk and Dunfermline are all playing in the Championship and are getting bigger crowds than most clubs in the Premiership.

In the next 5 years, I think Scottish football needs to have the big six playing at the level they really should be playing at, to have a proper fight for the title.

I'm interested in who you think the big 6 are? Can't be United since they've been relegated twice and only won one thing in the last 23 years. Hibs down twice and they've won a couple of trophies - not sure this qualifies them either.

In Scotland we have 2 big clubs, some slightly larger than average clubs and a whole lot of wee clubs - there's no 'big 6'.

It must be a pretty hollow existence for a Celtic fan during these spells of dominance. What sort of genuine joy are they supposed to get from winning another league when the gulf between them and the challengers has got even bigger this year with all the CL money and the appointment of Rodgers? If they did get to f**k then the rivalry between Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen would be fantastic viewing for everyone else in the country and it would be only a matter of time before Hibs and Dundee Utd would be there challenging as well which would be much better for Scottish football.

Cant see Rangers touching them for another 5 years yet but they eventually will if they both remain here in the same format, not that Rangers winning the league again will be much better.

1 minute ago, Northboy said:

I don't get your argument - just because I don't support a big, regularly successful club doesn't mean that I'd say no to a bit of glory if it were to come along.

I'm saying that supporting the largest team, with the greatest resources and the ability to buy and lure the better players from rival teams at the drop of hat would get quite boring after a while considering no other team can mount a serious challenge against them. 

Maybe you don't agree but to me that would feel like a rather hollow victory.

I envisage quite a lengthy period where you have 11 teams all at a similar level (regardless of attendances ;) )  and and taking points of each other leaving them to run away with it every season. 

It's gonna be so exciting I can hardly wait :( 

8 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

I think over the next few years will see a new force in European football.

No club will be able to compete with the Scottish champions. Once powerful leagues such as La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A and EPL will all capitulate to the Rogers revolution.

There are that many dangerously stupid and delusional Celtic fans out there that I can be 100% sure you aren't taking the piss. 

26 minutes ago, throbber said:

Non glory hunters.

Most of the guys I grew up with are Celtic fans. We are all in our early to mid 30's and grew up watching a Celtic side that finished 4th and 5th in the league and won nothing in the early to mid 90's while Rangers spent small fortunes and cleaned up. Everyone single one of them is delighted right now, mostly because of that period. They took it tight from all the Rangers fans they knew and are now able to give it back and then some. I'm not sure it will ever got old or get boring for them.

Archived