Most iconic game of the 21st century?

I doubt it will be a mere afterthought in all honesty , many people still wax lyrical about the Motherwell Scottish cup win in 1991 before I was even born . The win for hibs is their equivalent to your win against us in 1998 

We've only just stopped mentioning Hibs even more impressive 1902 triumph against Celtic (at Parkhead)

It may be that by the 22nd century the 2016 final will have taken on a similar mythic air.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

I agree with the sentiment but thankfully that will never happen due to the fact that Hearts collectively shite it at the mere mention of Hibernian FC. I'd go as far to say that they might not beat us ever again.

Surely you'll get promoted eventually

2016 Scottish Cup Final is the obvious answer:

The "Hibsing it" prelude culminating in the last minute play-off loss (which actually probably worked in their favour).

The impending end of the Rangers banter years which would be put to bed as they gained promotion, lifted a major trophy and entered Europe.

The human antithesis of all that Rangers stand for playing out of his skin after being shite for months and scoring an early goal in front of a Union Bears pyro backdrop.

Alan Stubbs being subjected to a barrage of sectarian serenading and being told to "cheer up" following "Mr Rangers" Andy Halliday scoring a screamer.

Stubbs subsequently cheering up significantly as Stokes equalises and Gray nods in the winner leading to utter pandemonium in the stands.

The whole pitch invasion/goading/crossbar collapsing followed by a chorus of "Sunshine on Leith" in front of hundreds of police officers, horses and stewards was incredibly iconic in itself.

Even the days that followed: the RFC statements which called out Tom English and Nicola Sturgeon, the bus parade and Hibs squad players getting bladdered in Leith for days on end etc.

I don't doubt that thumping the dead carcass your rivals 5-1 in a once in a lifetime final would be a pleasurable experience but 2016 trumps 2012 every time.

For the benefit of those of us that haven't seen the game who are you talking about

Anthony Stokes I believe.
Tbf seeing him reel away after scoring in front of the packed stand and flare smoke was indeed utterly cinematic.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

2016 Scottish Cup Final is the obvious answer:

The "Hibsing it" prelude culminating in the last minute play-off loss (which actually probably worked in their favour).

The impending end of the Rangers banter years which would be put to bed as they gained promotion, lifted a major trophy and entered Europe.

The human antithesis of all that Rangers stand for playing out of his skin after being shite for months and scoring an early goal in front of a Union Bears pyro backdrop.

Alan Stubbs being subjected to a barrage of sectarian serenading and being told to "cheer up" following "Mr Rangers" Andy Halliday scoring a screamer.

Stubbs subsequently cheering up significantly as Stokes equalises and Gray nods in the winner leading to utter pandemonium in the stands.

The whole pitch invasion/goading/crossbar collapsing followed by a chorus of "Sunshine on Leith" in front of hundreds of police officers, horses and stewards was incredibly iconic in itself.

Even the days that followed: the RFC statements which called out Tom English and Nicola Sturgeon, the bus parade and Hibs squad players getting bladdered in Leith for days on end etc.

I don't doubt that thumping the dead carcass your rivals 5-1 in a once in a lifetime final would be a pleasurable experience but 2016 trumps 2012 every time.

putitthere.png

37 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Tbf seeing him reel away after scoring in front of the packed stand and flare smoke was indeed utterly cinematic.

final1_2880366a.jpg

knuckle.jpgthf.png

Oh I see

I was confused by the phrase "Human antithesis of all that Rangers stand for" possibly "mirror image" might have been the better phrase to express his oppositeness.

Oh I see

I was confused by the phrase "Human antithesis of all that Rangers stand for" possibly "mirror image" might have been the better phrase to express his oppositeness.

"Mirror image" would suggest that it was the same image reflected back in inverted form, as opposed to the polar opposite. I don't think that applies here.

What part of the original phrase confused you?

For '2016 destroyed Rangers' (who sit second in the Premiership) see '2012 killed Hibs as a club'.

Wee diddy club fans needing Hibs to get one over Rangers. :lol:

Think I'll go and deek some of the Hibs bois pre-match 'biggest ever' and 'this is the way it was meant to end' comments from the 2012 thread.

For '2016 destroyed Rangers' (who sit second in the Premiership) see '2012 killed Hibs as a club'.
Wee diddy club fans needing Hibs to get one over Rangers.[emoji38] Think I'll go and deek some of the Hibs bois pre-match 'biggest ever' and 'this is the way it was meant to end' comments from the 2012 thread.

Knock yourself out. No one will give a single solitary f**k tbh.

2012 might have "won" had Hearts not fannied about for most of the second half. Avenging your most infamous result by the same margin in a cup final would have indeed been utter scenes, but they missed that once in a lifetime chance.

2016 is far superior.

3 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Knock yourself out. No one will give a single solitary f**k tbh.

2012 might have "won" had Hearts not fannied about for most of the second half. Avenging your most infamous result by the same margin in a cup final would have indeed been utter scenes, but they missed that once in a lifetime chance.

2016 is far superior.

Aye beating your rivals 5-1 in a national final just reeks of utter failure ... :lol: my god 

Archived