Old Firm Colts in L2

20 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Just joining in here but this year, players under 23 (Colts) who have progressed from the youth team to the first team (playing or on the bench) we have Kennedy, King, McIntosh, Aitken, Starkey and Allan. Probably another 1 or 2 that I've forgotten.
Not sure if i'm proving or disproving your point tbh.

Why have forfar used so many first team players this season?do you think 6 U23's is a good number to use through the season or would you like to see more?

Why have forfar used so many first team players this season?do you think 6 U23's is a good number to use through the season or would you like to see more?

I'd need the look further but we've had a dreadful year with injuries this year (10 out from 22/23 squad at one point) I also think changing a manager will result in using more players in a season too.
Remember we only have one level of team below the first team. So, to have 6 lads in the squad from that level is pretty good.

7 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Nope need to wait till April,saints have used 25 players this season just 2 less than Celtic.

Then you're talking pish. 

And Celtic just signed a 17yo Australian to take up a spot in their youth squad, to "help young Scots", I presume. 

10 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

One question if this proposal is passed,how many Celtic colt players do you think will make celtic's first team?

Based on their current youth development and Rangers performance in league 2 id say not very many. Celtic and Rangers will benefit more from selling players on that develop to a decent level and maybe the occasional one that gets to the first team. 

It wont have a massive uplift in players ability in the previous mentioned trickle down effect. Even if it has a small impact the quality of football overall won’t go up by any measurable amount that justifies pissing off the fans of the majority of clubs and turning fans away from teams they’ve supported for a number of years. A small increase in player ability down the league also does not justify compromising sporting integrity and turning L2 into a development league. 

Just so I get this straight. Are you saying that a nominal improvement in young player quality that might happen for 10/20 young players playing at colts is enough for you to give this a shot even if it turns fans away from our game? So basically a system that will likely have the biggest impact on the Glasgow lovers further strengthening them, a small (if any, it’s still very speculative) uplift in young player quality, we should all agree to or we hate Celtic... I’ve tried to have a sensible debate with you but if this is where your argument sits. You sir have lost the plot haha 

9 hours ago, dee_62 said:

I'd need the look further but we've had a dreadful year with injuries this year (10 out from 22/23 squad at one point) I also think changing a manager will result in using more players in a season too.
Remember we only have one level of team below the first team. So, to have 6 lads in the squad from that level is pretty good.

So Celtic have used 28 players this season with 13 of them being U23's
Forfar have used 30 players this season with only 6 of them being U23's
Giving Celtic have more levels  than Forfar under they're first team would you say both clubs promote development players?

So Celtic have used 28 players this season with 13 of them being U23's
Giving Celtic have more levels  than Forfar under they're first team would you say both clubs promote development players?

Of the under 23s how many are actually development players? Can you name them?

What’s your point anyway???

I’m guessing our good friend Willy is counting

Ajer
Musonda
Dembele
Edouard
Kouassi
Simunovic
Hendry
Roberts
Ntcham

In his calculations, none of which are development players

Miller and Johnston, who have had seriously limited time, Ralston, who’s had a wee bit more time and Tierney who’s a regular, as the other 4.

The guy Johnston looks like he could be brilliant, but what have Celtic done instead of giving him more minutes, sign some c**t that’s a couple of years older than him on an 18 month loan from Chelsea. Superb

13 hours ago, peternapper said:

Quite some time ago I asked your mate wasteofspacewilly how many caps McGeady gained for Scotland & in so improved our international team which was the reason behind all this. The fact he went on to play first team football for Celtic is of no interest or benefit to anyone else in the country.

Ok thanks for letting me know you asked somebody a stupid question. 

Not quite what I said.
Those 6 were from our own youth team and had made it into the match day squad/team.
We have had quite a few other U23s playing. Usually development / emergency loans from other teams. 2 from Ross county, 2 from Dunfermline, 1 from Dundee, 1 from Livingston all under 23. (Off the top of my head)

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Then you're talking pish. 

And Celtic just signed a 17yo Australian to take up a spot in their youth squad, to "help young Scots", I presume. 

Celtic have a global network of scouts do you really think every player under the first team should be Scottish?
You are xenophobic? 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m guessing our good friend Willy is counting

Ajer
Musonda
Dembele
Edouard
Kouassi
Simunovic
Hendry
Roberts
Ntcham

In his calculations, none of which are development players

Miller and Johnston, who have had seriously limited time, Ralston, who’s had a wee bit more time and Tierney who’s a regular, as the other 4.

The guy Johnston looks like he could be brilliant, but what have Celtic done instead of giving him more minutes, sign some c**t that’s a couple of years older than him on an 18 month loan from Chelsea. Superb

When do players stop developing their game?

12 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Not quite what I said.
Those 6 were from our own youth team and had made it into the match day squad/team.
We have had quite a few other U23s playing. Usually development / emergency loans from other teams. 2 from Ross county, 2 from Dunfermline, 1 from Dundee, 1 from Livingston all under 23. (Off the top of my head)

So we have 12 U23's this season playing for forfar out of 30 that's good.
From the 6 from our own youth team is there any that could play at a higher level?
Like wise from the 6 that play with other teams did any stand out in the Forfar team?

So we have 12 U23's this season playing for forfar out of 30 that's good.
From the 6 from our own youth team is there any that could play at a higher level?
Like wise from the 6 that play with other teams did any stand out in the Forfar team?

From our youths...difficult to say. Some are still v young with few appearances. McIntosh, I think, could move up given full time training and a year to get used to it.
From the others - (we also have under 21s from St Mirren and St Johnstone that I'd forgotten about).
Those 2 have impressed - only seen 1 game from the St J player though. One of the Ross County players has already had 1st team run outs up there as had 1 of the Dunfermline players I think. Didn't see much from them though.

2 hours ago, dee_62 said:

From our youths...difficult to say. Some are still v young with few appearances. McIntosh, I think, could move up given full time training and a year to get used to it.
From the others - (we also have under 21s from St Mirren and St Johnstone that I'd forgotten about).
Those 2 have impressed - only seen 1 game from the St J player though. One of the Ross County players has already had 1st team run outs up there as had 1 of the Dunfermline players I think. Didn't see much from them though.

Sounds decent that Forfar are making a contribution to the Scottish game,i hope the boy McIntosh gets his chance.
In the last tens years how many players that have played or came through the youth team at Forfar have went on to play for Scotland?

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Sounds decent that Forfar are making a contribution to the Scottish game,i hope the boy McIntosh gets his chance.
In the last tens years how many players that have played or came through the youth team at Forfar have went on to play for Scotland?

Well, Tierney and Robertson have both had a bridie, if that counts...