Old Firm Colts in L2

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Have you never heard of the 5 years rule?

No, what is it and what relevance has it to this proposal? If you mean the years in education rule making players eligible for home nations it would only work if they brought in very young players and those players still chose Scotland over their birth nation.

I know things have been going back and forward on here. What are your actual thoughts on this proposal? Are you for it in it's current form and if so is it purely because it would benefit Celtic and Rangers? 

7 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

No, what is it and what relevance has it to this proposal? If you mean the years in education rule making players eligible for home nations it would only work if they brought in very young players and those players still chose Scotland over their birth nation.

I know things have been going back and forward on here. What are your actual thoughts on this proposal? Are you for it in it's current form and if so is it purely because it would benefit Celtic and Rangers? 

I don't see the celtic colt team as Celtic players much like Lewis Morgan,they have to earn the right and make the grade to be a Celtic player.
They're only Celtic by association,for me the colt team are just young talented footballing individuals trying to better they're game much like apprenticeships.
To say Celtic will benefit well that's up to the apprentice.

I don't see the celtic colt team as Celtic players much like Lewis Morgan,they have to earn the right and make the grade to be a Celtic player.
They're only Celtic by association,for me the colt team are just young talented footballing individuals trying to better they're game much like apprenticeships.
If they are just talented players learning their apprenticeship, why not let them do so at whatever level they will learn best at, whether that is the Championship, League One, League Two, Lowland/Highland League or the Development/Reserve League? You know, like the current loan system allows for.

10 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Common sense would tell anyone the Glasgow lovers will benefit way more than anyone else. It also tells me their benefit will be a number of clubs drawback. As I've said before the Challenge Cup shows they'd have to strengthen considerably. Those young players will be taken at the expense of other clubs that would likely have them in the current set-up. Lewis Morgan is a perfect example, released by Rangers at 17. Imagine the situation where they had a Colt team then, speculating but they may of kept him on at that level and boom St Mirren miss out on a quality player and a financial windfall. 

I'd come back to your earlier point that most Championship clubs would be for it. I just don't see how you can come to that conclusion at all and you didn't say why you'd come to that conclusion. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

If they are just talented players learning their apprenticeship, why not let them do so at whatever level they will learn best at, whether that is the Championship, League One, League Two, Lowland/Highland League or the Development/Reserve League? You know, like the current loan system allows for.

I don't know how many times he needs that explained to him before the penny drops.  I'm starting to think there isn't actually a penny there.

How about celtic and rangers abandon youth football altogether and leave the cream of scottish youths to sign for teams who will actually play them in their first teams. No need to play them in league two, the best ones would be in most SPL first teams. Celtic's real youth system seems to be to raid Man City's academy.

5 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Imagine the situation where they had a Colt team then, speculating but they may of kept him on at that level and boom St Mirren miss out on a quality player and a financial windfall.

It's a good point but what stops st mirren developing they're own talent?the fact he was deem not good enough at a early age and had to prove himself again is wrong.
Colt teams would provide a clearer path for players.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

33 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

what stops st mirren developing they're own talent

Jesus fucking Christ, it's THEIR own talent. You have misused that word consistently throughout this and other threads and it really pisses me off. Whatever happened to simple education in this country? How do you expect your argument to be taken seriously when you can't spell the simplest of words?  

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Jesus fucking Christ, it's THEIR own talent. You have misused that word consistently throughout this and other threads and it really pisses me off. Whatever happened to simple education in this country? How do you expect your argument to be taken seriously when you can't spell the simplest of words?  

Good i dont speek good engerland im a scot so feck off.

3 hours ago, Fred said:

How about celtic and rangers abandon youth football altogether and leave the cream of scottish youths to sign for teams who will actually play them in their first teams. No need to play them in league two, the best ones would be in most SPL first teams. Celtic's real youth system seems to be to raid Man City's academy.

Celtic FC - Former academy players | Transfermarkt this is why.

52 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's a good point but what stops st mirren developing they're own talent?the fact he was deem not good enough at a early age and had to prove himself again is wrong.
Colt teams would provide a clearer path for players.

There is nothing that 'stops us' we as a team do pretty well in youth player development, as do many others. What hinders us and other teams is we don't have the financial resources, facilities and the ability to maintain as large a number of young players as bigger teams like Celtic and Rangers. We also don't have as much of a draw (or finances again) to go snatch a promising youth player from smaller/ similar clubs

Colt teams would provide a clearer path for players

Exactly my point, Colt teams provide a path for Rangers and Celtic to mitigate the risk further of losing players like Morgan and give even further opportunity to hold onto largerplayer pools. It would remove the risk of them losing young talented players that want first team football as they'd be able to offer that and it would give the opportunity to sign promising young players from smaller clubs who might otherwise prefer to stay for the first team experience.

It is 100% self interest by those two clubs and it again comes back to my point. Why would a team like St Mirren or other similar club vote in favor for a plan that will afford Rangers and Celtic a means to swallow up and retain talent that would otherwise be playing elsewhere? 

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

It appears that some people have gone delirious over this and are suggesting that Gavin Reilly could play for Scotland one day.

More the point that he's a good QOS graduate. No one is suggesting that will likely happen, just that stranger things have happened like big Chris