Old Firm Colts in L2

On 15/01/2019 at 12:48, gannonball said:

Angry swearing and capital letters, its all gone a bit brexity in here.

Brexity? Your club are loosely threatening to send youngsters to Ireland if they don't get what they want in this country :lol: 

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

It's not been resurrected - it is an ongoing discussion as I previously flagged up

Good on you keeping the debate honest again, CC.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Was more the "give us what we want or we're leaving to do our own thing" shtick I was getting at.

All Celtic have done is look at other options if the colt teams don’t materialise. I have hardly seen any quotes from Celtic regarding this. 

I have said in the past on this if the majoiry of lower league fans don’t want it then it shouldn’t happen, a feeder club in the irish league might be the best option for all.

All Celtic have done is look at other options if the colt teams don’t materialise. I have hardly seen any quotes from Celtic regarding this. 
I have said in the past on this if the majoiry of lower league fans don’t want it then it shouldn’t happen, a feeder club in the irish league might be the best option for all.

I'm hardly surprised, the other arse cheek is pretty quiet on it too.

They just keep going further and further down the league setup/pyramid hoping to sneak it in at some point and hope nobody notices or cares.

So you've got an SPFL working group looking at this while at the same time the Lowland league looking to setup LL2 and the SFA with the pyramid working group looking at the juniors joining the pyramid?

I would rather Clyde got relegated into the Lowland league rather than the abomination of league they are suggesting here. 8 out of every 11 league games would be against a Colt side or a Highland league side.

21 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Can you explain to me why a feeder team playing in a foreign (inferior and mainly part time) league is a preferable development process for young players than using the loan system we have in place in this country currently?

They would also be allowed to be promoted as high as the championship, I can see the Highland and Lowland teams going for it as they'd be in the SPFL ladder plus getting some extra gate money from the pseudo ugly sisters fans coming along to see the colt teams and they'll probably offer clubs monetary incentives to get it done but I hope it will be binned. 
I'm not sure the Highland League teams would go for it - not every team wants promoted for one thing, and the prospect of the League losing four clubs (albeit they might gain clubs moving up from the East Juniors or Highland Caledonian League if the Pyramid gets sorted out sometime soon) won't be appealing. Given the extra travelling and the probable lack of crowds for games against the Colts, I'm not convinced they'll want this.

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
3 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:
They would also be allowed to be promoted as high as the championship, I can see the Highland and Lowland teams going for it as they'd be in the SPFL ladder plus getting some extra gate money from the pseudo ugly sisters fans coming along to see the colt teams and they'll probably offer clubs monetary incentives to get it done but I hope it will be binned. 

I'm not sure the Highland League teams would go for it - not every team wants promoted for one thing, and the prospect of the League losing four clubs (albeit they might gain clubs moving up from the East Juniors or Highland Caledonian League if the Pyramid gets sorted out sometime soon) won't be appealing. Given the extra travelling and the probable lack of crowds for games against the Colts, I'm not convinced they'll want this.

I think the LL clubs will want this (it's an easy way for them to open up more access to the SPFL) , it's the HL that probably won't be too keen, apart from Cove Rangers is there anyone else desperate for SPFL status?

You could find that in addition to Rangers and Celtic Colts, the bulk of the league is made-up of LL or licenced EoS clubs. If it starts next season, do Albion Rovers also drop in?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Can you explain to me why a feeder team playing in a foreign (inferior and mainly part time) league is a preferable development process for young players than using the loan system we have in place in this country currently?

As much as I like the idea of development loans so they can continue to train at Celtic Im guessing it would be ideal to have the players playing together with other older pros at Celtic and can use similar tactics to the first team to make the transition easier. Level wise its pretty similiar to our championship for me. It’s become a far more scouted league now since Dundalk made the Europa group stages. Might also help tap in to the irish market too. So a few positives all round really.  It would cost a small fortune to implement it properly though.

Edited by gannonball

There are already too many leagues at this level. I'd happily see the League 2 removed and 3 larger leagues making up the structure. 
Reserve leagues are there for young players to gain experience playing together as a group. The challenge cup has already turned into a total farce after the introduction of colt teams and jobbers from other parts of our island group, with alot of fans staying.

37 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As much as I like the idea of development loans so they can continue to train at Celtic Im guessing it would be ideal to have the players playing together with other older pros at Celtic and can use similar tactics to the first team to make the transition easier. Level wise its pretty similiar to our championship for me. It’s become a far more scouted league now since Dundalk made the Europa group stages. Might also help tap in to the irish market too. So a few positives all round really.  It would cost a small fortune to implement it properly though.

How would they be playing with older pros at Celtic if they're signed to Shamrock Rovers?  Are Shamrock Rovers using Celtic's tactics too?

It's a similar level to our Championship, so why not just use our Championship rather than spending "a small fortune" buying an Irish club?

Tap into the Irish market - why? Isn't the goal to make better Scottish players rather than look to replace them with Irish ones?

It's an absolutely bonkers idea and I'm amazed that anyone with a brain cell would rather the Shamrock Rovers route over actually using the loan system.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

How would they be playing with older pros at Celtic if they're signed to Shamrock Rovers?  Are Shamrock Rovers using Celtic's tactics too?

It's a similar level to our Championship, so why not just use our Championship rather than spending "a small fortune" buying an Irish club?

Tap into the Irish market - why? Isn't the goal to make better Scottish players rather than look to replace them with Irish ones?

It's an absolutely bonkers idea and I'm amazed that anyone with a brain cell would rather the Shamrock Rovers route over actually using the loan system.

I meant if we had full control of a club then we influence it similar coaching styles and tactics. They are making regulations harder but if you look at the guy who owns Watford he also owns an Italian and also did own a spanish and was swapping players about constantly.

By irish market I meant more in terms of income which has dwindled since the sucess of the EPL.  Although I couldn’t give a f**k where our players were from tbh, I don't know whos goal it is to make better only scottish players, xenophobic pish.  

The last thing we need is more clubs in the SPFL. The whole idea is complete fabricated bollocks. Being carefully packaged to try and bribe/manipulate club officials at this level into thinking it’s a good idea.

If the pyramid can get sorted properly then an automatic relegation spot from League 2 should happen but NOT as part of any proposal involving colts.

If Celtic want to turn an Irish side into a feeder team then good luck to them. I’d much rather that than ruining our lower leagues with their colt shite.

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I meant if we had full control of a club then we influence it similar coaching styles and tactics. They are making regulations harder but if you look at the guy who owns Watford he also owns an Italian and also did own a spanish and was swapping players about constantly.

By irish market I meant more in terms of income which has dwindled since the sucess of the EPL.  Although I couldn’t give a f**k where our players were from tbh, I don't know whos goal it is to make better only scottish players, xenophobic pish.  

Stop Press, Celtic Fan in supporting Ireland over Scotland shocker.................

3 hours ago, an86 said:

We don't qualify for World Cups because our promising young players aren't allowed to play against Dalbeattie Star and Vale of Leithen. That's definitely it. 

As part of the plan to create competion, those teams will be renamed Dalbeattie Red Star and Valencia of Leithen.

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

You don't know whose goal it is? It's your club saying we need better Scottish players and this is the way to do it. Perhaps contact Mr McCart at your club and he can send you the party line.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You don't know whose goal it is? It's your club saying we need better Scottish players and this is the way to do it. Perhaps contact Mr McCart at your club and he can send you the party line.

Well yes having more professional teams in the league should help produce more players but Celtic are first and foremost looking to benefit the club first not the country, that would be a side benefit. I had a quick look for quotes by him and cant see him stating what you have said.