Old photos of your club

I agree with Gayfield being cold. I was there on 9th April 1994 and it was baltic! That was the day Andy Thomson scored 2 goals in a 3-0 win over Arbroath. He'd been out injured and was racing Hateley to reach 30 goals. He'd been on 29 since returning and hadn't scored for so many games. Stevie Mallan Snr (Dad of current St Mirren player) scored in the 2nd minute and Thomson scored 2 goals in the 2nd half.

I agree with Gayfield being cold. I was there in April 1994 and it was baltic! That was the day Andy Thomson scored 2 goals in a 3-1 over Arbroath. He'd been out injured and was racing Hateley to reach 30 goals. He'd been on 29 since returning and hadn't scored for so many games. Stevie Mallan Snr (Dad of current St Mirren player) scored in the 2nd minute and Thomson scored 2 goals in the 2nd half.

Gayfield can be absolutely unbelievably horrendous but for 90 percent of the year it's tropical. Windy days are extremely rare but when they happen they happen, ridiculous on the rare occasion.

Fwiw looking at this thread makes me so happy that we've still got our old fashioned terraced bowl and that it's still in terrific nick. New main seated stand being done up gives it that wee modern edge and I hope that's as far as we go.

Best stadium in the lower leagues IM(probably biased)O.

16 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

So did that used to be the home end? When and why did they make the switch?

Inverclyde was one of the areas hardest hit by Maggies de-industrialisation when we lost the shipyards and all the related industries such as Kincaids engine works and Hasties steering gear.  Probably something north of 20,000 jobs went out of the local economy and that has reflected on the population with Greenock's being close to half what it was in the sixties.  Crowds dwindled and it became hard to justify opening the Wee Dublin End to home fans and it was given over to away fans but only for larger games.  I don't think it came as a firm decision one way or another but just evolved that way from the mid nineties on.

52 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

Inverclyde was one of the areas hardest hit by Maggies de-industrialisation when we lost the shipyards and all the related industries such as Kincaids engine works and Hasties steering gear.  Probably something north of 20,000 jobs went out of the local economy and that has reflected on the population with Greenock's being close to half what it was in the sixties.  Crowds dwindled and it became hard to justify opening the Wee Dublin End to home fans and it was given over to away fans but only for larger games.  I don't think it came as a firm decision one way or another but just evolved that way from the mid nineties on.

The amount of people from Greenock I've met who are mad Rangers fans/Tories who simply will not recognise this fact...

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Cappielow being used for an international of some sorts.No idea when this was taken, but I'd guess late 60s early 70s.

CNV00095.JPG

Looks like one of the Irelands.

It isn't a Schools International, AFAICS - the only ones at Morton until recently were v Wales.

Cappielow hosted a Scotland v Northern Ireland Amateur International on 16th March 1968 but they look a bit youthful.

I think it is Scotland Youths v Northern Ireland Youths and could be:
* 20th February 1954
* 11th February 1956
* 28th April 1962
* 18th April 1964

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

So did that used to be the home end? When and why did they make the switch?

The Cowshed had sections at the back on either side of the stairs where home and away fans went to shout at each other for 90 minutes. Other than that the rest of the ground was "stand where you like" and many fans would change ends at half time.

The late 80s saw a fence go up and mixing stopped. In the early 90s the club asked the fans to vote on which end the home end should be (via the local press). Two thirds voted to stay put and leave the WDE as part of the away end. After we exited administration in 2002 the away section of the Cowshed became home fans only.

5 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

This is the team from 63-64, but I don't think this was taken at a Cappielow. Looks to me like the old Port Glasgow Juniors ground (now long gone).

Morton 1963-64 (small).JPG

Always liked this one too - an 80s derby game taken from the top of the WDE.

Morton v St. Mirren.jpg

Looks like football was fun back then! Great pic. 

I noticed from our 87 cup run the camera showed Saints and Morton fans mingling in the WDE, would that be right? 

The atmosphere at derby games was killed as soon as they stopped letting us in the cowshed.