Old photos of your club

58 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I recall hearing at the time that the terrace had been built up on coal ash and that there was some potentially dodgy stuff in it. It was big and there was an equally large part on the back on the other side of the enclosure, it was a proper hill. It apparently had to go at some point and in 2006 an opportunity came along to have the whole lot moved at no (or minimal) cost to the club as infill for the Clackmannanshire Bridge. Made sense I suppose and the club also went on to sell the land freed up by removing the hill. There was one season when there was nothing on that side of the ground before they bought the Gazebo. 

Only the Railway End remains pretty much unchanged since I started going to Alloa in 1988. Despite those changes it still feels like home and I'd hate for Alloa to move elsewhere. 

Here's one for the thread, Alloa at Ibrox in 1921. Central League Alloa beat SFL Falkirk and Clydebank over 7 games in the Scottish Cup and then drew 0-0 with Rangers at Ibrox. Rangers suggested the Recs couldn't cope with the replay crowd and Alloa directors agreed to go back to Ibrox, where Alloa lost 4-1. Got our revenge in the Petrofac Cup 93 years later though.

Ca9dOMeWcAEIuZN.jpg

It'd be a crime for Alloa to go elsewhere. It's a perfect stadium for a club of their size, and is very local too. f**k giving that up for a one stand wonder in the middle of nowhere like New Bayview. Also you, have one of the best views in Scotland from the ground. Both that and Dumbarton have decent views. 

I visited the original Bayview twice during the 1995-96 season to watch Queens and really enjoyed the old stadium. I cannot believe that they moved to a one stand arena just like Dumbarton. I remember being in the social club on one of those occasions and chatting to Des McKeown (who was injured and now Sun columnist on a Saturday). Just also remember Jim Butter was the Queens keeper, who used to get some pelters but I wasn't sure if he as bad as some of the other keepers that Queens have had over the years.

I was told back in the 60's that Boghead had the third biggest playing surface. Hampden was the biggest. No idea of this was true though.

I think that Shotts Bon Accord's pitch Hannah Park is regarded as having the largest playing surface in Scottish football

585b8214228d8_ImageUploadedByPieBovril14

Kilbowie Park's pitch dimensions were 110 yards by 68 yards - not sure how that compares with those of other teams.

2 hours ago, Kilbowie's Finest said:

I think that Shotts Bon Accord's pitch Hannah Park is regarded as having the largest playing surface in Scottish football

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1482392083.773734.jpg

Kilbowie Park's pitch dimensions were 110 yards by 68 yards - not sure how that compares with those of other teams.

Decided to look this up but couldn't find sizes for Hannah Park. Pitch sizes in the laws of the game are: 100-130 yds by 50-100 yds.

Hampden, McDiarmid and Caley Stadium are all 115 by 75. Ibrox is 115 by 78. Celtic is 105 by 68. These are all from footballgroundguide.com.

On 19 December 2016 at 21:38, Bairnardo said:

I miss Brockville so fucking much. Quite honestly in terms of my football following career, have never really got over us leaving there. Its been such a long time and yet its never ever been the same.

Aye this!! Used to go to the Graeme Hotel before the game with my dad, uncle and grandpa. They would have a few pints and always leave at about 2:55 with me itching to get there thinking I was going to miss something. My dad would lift me over the turnstile with the blessing of the 'ticket collecter' then it was a pish against wall once in the ground, lined up with guys who have broke the seal. My dad and that would stand at the top of the cooperage lane terrace behind the goals and I would be allowed to stand down at the corner spot of that stand against the advertising boards but report back to them at half time. Probably a load of tl;dr here, but those memories as a boy were fantastic.

I visited the original Bayview during the 1995-96 season to watch Queens and really enjoyed that stadium. I cannot believe that they moved to a one stand arena just like Dumbarton. I remember being in the social club on one of those occasions and chatting to Des McKeown (who was injured and now Sun columnist on a Saturday). Just also remember Jim Butter was the Queens keeper, who used to get some pelters but I wasn't sure if he as bad as some of the other keepers that Queens have had over the years.

Playing in a crumbling shitehole becomes troublesome after a period of time. Folk let nostalgia get in the way of the fact that likes of Boghead were indeed crumbling, unsustainable shitholes in the end. I can't comment on old Bayview as I never had the pleasure of visiting it but I can only assume that was the same.

I loved Boghead but we're far, far better off in our current stadium with modern facilities which I assume will also be the case with East Fife.

16 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

Aye this!! Used to go to the Graeme Hotel before the game with my dad, uncle and grandpa. They would have a few pints and always leave at about 2:55 with me itching to get there thinking I was going to miss something. My dad would lift me over the turnstile with the blessing of the 'ticket collecter' then it was a pish against wall once in the ground, lined up with guys who have broke the seal. My dad and that would stand at the top of the cooperage lane terrace behind the goals and I would be allowed to stand down at the corner spot of that stand against the advertising boards but report back to them at half time. Probably a load of tl;dr here, but those memories as a boy were fantastic.

No I totally get that. I was the same with the terracing behind the goal at Love St. Actually started off going to games in Carters Corner. Don't know if any away fans will know of or remember this bit of the ground. It was between the terracing/family stand and Main Stand. Great memories running along the bench as a youngster when the game was crap. Every home game there used to be a guy come in dressed in his work gear at about the 60 minute mark without fail. Amazing the tiny details you remember.

Image result for carters corner st mirren

Playing in a crumbling shitehole becomes troublesome after a period of time. Folk let nostalgia get in the way of the fact that likes of Boghead were indeed crumbling, unsustainable shitholes in the end. I can't comment on old Bayview as I never had the pleasure of visiting it but I can only assume that was the same.

I loved Boghead but we're far, far better off in our current stadium with modern facilities which I assume will also be the case with East Fife.

I suppose the old Bayview would have been in a crumbling state by the time the club decided to move.

PS @Kilbowie's Finest, here's another Kilbowie for you.  Looks like a driech day, everyone huddled up the back under the cover.
Also, gotta be Jim Gallacher in goals.
Capture.JPG

Aye, and the other baldy defending another dangerous Dumbarton cross is Jim Fallon.

Re the Sweeney photo. Goal should obviously not have stood as Alistair MacLeod had perfectly sprung our well drilled offside trap as the pic clearly shows.

Aye, and the other baldy defending another dangerous Dumbarton cross is Jim Fallon.

Re the Sweeney photo. Goal should obviously not have stood as Alistair MacLeod had perfectly sprung our well drilled offside trap as the pic clearly shows.

Look at the guy in the crowd above JG's head trying to convince the fans that this Poznan thing will catch on.

1 hour ago, RUSTY1111 said:

I suppose the old Bayview would have been in a crumbling state by the time the club decided to move.

It sure was. This was discussed in another thread but fecked if I can find it right now. I've got some decent photos so I'll do a blog about Bayview some time soon.

If anybody's interested I've just done a blog post about Oriam the new national performance centre.

Finally for now - exciting Glasgow Charity Cup action between Queen's Park and Third Lanark at the Exhibition Ground, aka Kelvingrove, aka Gilmorehill, in 1901.

7987019006_2b6c9cca34_o.jpg

TGSA00377.jpg

This impressive venue - holding 25,000 - staged a number of high profile games in 1901:

Glasgow Charity Cup (May)
SFs - Rangers 0-0 Celtic (replay: Rangers 0-1 Celtic), Third Lanark 1-0 Queen's Park
Final - Third Lanark 0-0 Celtic (replay: Third Lanark 3-0 Celtic)

Scottish Junior Cup (May)
Final - Burnbank Athletic 2-0 Maryhill

Glasgow Exhibition Cup (August-September)
QFs - Third Lanark 3-1 Morton, Rangers 8-1 St Mirren, Celtic 1-0 Hibs, Hearts 2-1 Queen's Park
SFs - Rangers 4-1 Third Lanark, Celtic 2-1 Hearts
Final - Rangers 3-1 Celtic

Edited by HibeeJibee