Royal Rumble 2017

JamieStevenson

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the 8 surpise/unannounced spots went to:

Kalisto, Jack Gallagher, Mark Henry, Tye Dillinger, James Ellsworth, Apollo Crews, Enzo Amore and Roman Reigns - that is an absolutely absymal use of 'surprise' entrants. I would have rathered seen an old school legend type like Duggan than some of those names.

As I say, I quite liked the rumble match itself but those 8 spots used better and it could have been very good.

On the whole I thought that was a pretty good PPV with most matches holding some kind of interest. Charlotte Flair was very good again and I enjoyed her match with Bayley. The match between Kevin Owens and Roman Reigns had some moments but it's easy to get frustrated at how they're handling both wrestlers - Owens has been a garbage champion and, even accounting for the fact he's a heel, he can only get the job done through interference and cheating, while the way they're trying to position Reigns just doesn't work. The guy is written as a down-on-his-luck underdog but he gets chance after chance for the title and seems impervious to damage (more on that shortly).

The Cruiserweight match was so-so, it's hard to get invested when the company. The highlight of the evening was the contest between AJ Styles and John Cena, I loved every minute of it and as much as I like Styles, Cena absolutely deserves to tie Ric Flair's record. The match had everything - drama, tension and good storytelling.

The Rumble itself was good although frustrating in parts. I can understand what Chris Jericho was doing and why he was there but it's sucks the fun out of it when you see him hanging around the apron for most of the match. Roman Reigns at #30 was a big disappointment and, like most people, I was hoping for Finn Balor or Samoa Joe or Shinsuke Nakamura. Roman had just been battered around with chairs and put through a table and he's strolling around without a care in the world, no wonder people find it hard to buy into him or get behind him. I was disappointed to see Randy Orton win. I do not care for him one bit and find him incredibly boring, his finisher aside. Nothing he does grips me.

There were some nice stories that can be teased out of the match - I, for one, can't wait to see Sheamus and Cesaro going for it again!

The whole point of Reigns was to get the hatred levels to a maximum thus the most hated superstar in a spot where the fans are expecting something special. Then have him eliminate the most loved superstar in the ring. Then it becomes anyone but Reigns for the crowd and when someone extremely 'meh' like Orton wins, there'll still be a huge pop.

It's genius in that the wwe gets the exact response they want but they fail to account for the fact that it's just shite.

I think another telling aspect of it was that the fans were really into the Wyatt family drama going on. Some serious heat going. Reigns just snatched it all away. The thing with Cena was that he always still has an aura behind him. There's always been comparisons between the two but it's much different with Reigns.

Reigns no selling the earlier match to eliminate Undertaker and Wyatt. 

Let's recap. Frog splashed through a table by a very large man from the top rope outside the ring. Superman punched with brass knuckles. Beaten down by Strowman and slammed onto the announce table.

... runs into number 30 in the rumble and starts taking out front runners. They honestly would struggle to book the guy worse.

That was a decent PPV aside from the issues with the actual Rumble match. 

Cena v Styles was cracking and the Universal title match was good although not quite as good. The women's title match was also excellent. Charlotte really is outstanding. I can't really remember the Cruiserweight match but seemed to enjoy it at the time. 

I'm a Styles fanboy but congratulations to Cena on matching Flair's record. He's a total pro, a great worker and seriously deserves it. 

Missed the pre - show but glad Gallows & Anderson won the tag titles. Hopefully, they'll now actually get booked as well as their talent deserves. 

In terms of the Rumble, underwhelmed about Orton winning but f**k me am I glad it wasn't Reigns. Pretty disappointing lack of surprise entrants and I really thought Joe was going to be #30. 

I assume it will be Orton v Wyatt at Wrestlemania with Wyatt winning the belt at EC rather than Orton v Cena AGAIN. If that is what they go for I would rather Wyatt had won the Rumble, Orton win the title at EC and then Wyatt beat Orton at Mania. Should still be a decent match though although it could have been done without the title. 

In terms of the rest of the card I'm guessing it will either be Reigns v Strowman or 'Taker or Cena v Taker as that could happen anyway without the belt. Praying for Cena v Taker as f**k Reigns v Taker. 

Really not sure about the Universal title either. Jericho winning the Rumble then challenging Owens would have made sense but not sure where they'll go with that now. They'll probably still have a match but possibly for the US title now. Which means dropping the title to Goldberg (?) who defends it against Lesnar. 

Still leaves Balor and Styles although I would love Styles v Joe.  And Balor could conceivably face Owens for the Universal title.

I think I get why they didn't put Joe in the match. I think he stops Cena winning the Chamber and we get Samoa Joe vs. John Cena. They're lining up something big for Joe. AJ Styles is the rumour going about, but I'm still sure that we're getting Wyatt/Orton so that'd require Cena dropping at EC.

Where that would leave AJ Styles... that's the big mystery.

Watched the second half of Styles Cena which was brilliant. Cena gets a bad rap but he's always involved in great matches.

Disappointed no surprise entrants in the rumble. Apollo crews is the most boring guy i've ever seen. The gallagher bit was funny tho.

Goldberg eliminating lesnar was a bit of a holy shit moment as was taker elminating goldberg. I would've loved one military press into spinbuster from goldberg. The one on orton from elimination chamber 2003 was epic. The big man is ripped at the minute.

I'd have had Jericho winning. Sets up the Owens fight at mania. Now you can only see owens dropping the title at the chamber then jericho and owens go for the us title.

Reigns is now at the stage where he'll never be over. It's like his gimmick to be booed now, bit like angle getting the you suck in his hall of fame montage even after 10+ years away.

On a side note taker looked fucked. No where near the shape he was in last year. hair dye looked terrible and had a belly on him, looked unstable.

Archived