Elgin v Forfar

A Loons victory here and a Montrose victory at Gayfield........will it be a case of fighting for the play off spots for the rest ?? (of course it could be a 4pt gap but...)

Just have to worry about ourselves and keep winning . Wouldn't bet against us against anyone in this division ( unless they are from Angus!!) we are in a nice position even if we were to lose the next 2 games we will still be top by 1 point providing Arbroath weren't to drop anything

A Loons victory here and a Montrose victory at Gayfield........will it be a case of fighting for the play off spots for the rest ?? (of course it could be a 4pt gap but...)

What's more likely though? Surely the gap going down to 4 is? Elgin I'd say are the best team I've seen, they're right hit or miss but when they get going they destroy teams. Some cracking players, especially Sutherland.

Our next 4;

Montrose (H)
Edinburgh (A)
Berwick (H)
Annan (H)

Yours

Elgin (A)
Annan (A)
Stirling (H)
Edinburgh (A)

Few tricky ones in there but if I had to bet on it I'd think the gap will shorten.

There is so much still to play for. While I think we're pretty much guaranteed a play off spot, the title (seriously we would need double our current points total) is a mile off yet. No caring what happens at Gayfield if we can beat Elgin then it creates a big gap between us and them.

Same again? Milne must be a doubt and Lister showed more in 15 minutes or so than he had in most of his previous games. While we've won the past few games defence is leaking goals like a sieve at the moment, need to tighten up at the back.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What's more likely though? Surely the gap going down to 4 is? Elgin I'd say are the best team I've seen, they're right hit or miss but when they get going they destroy teams. Some cracking players, especially Sutherland.

Our next 4;

Montrose (H)
Edinburgh (A)
Berwick (H)
Annan (H)

Yours

Elgin (A)
Annan (A)
Stirling (H)
Edinburgh (A)

Few tricky ones in there but if I had to bet on it I'd think the gap will shorten.

10pts on Monday evening.......prepare the mind for that outcome. :barf

1 minute ago, nofixedability said:

There is so much still to play for. While I think we're pretty much guaranteed a play off spot, the title (seriously we would need double our current points total) is a mile off yet. No caring what happens at Gayfield if we can beat Elgin then it creates a big gap between us and them.

Same again? Milne must be a doubt and Lister showed more in 15 minutes or so than he had in most of his previous games. While we've won the past few games defence is leaking goals like a sieve at the moment, need to tighten up at the back.

No need to tighten if we score more....be great to see Kerr Hay on the bench for Smith or even on for Peters.

Our next 4;

Montrose (H)
Edinburgh (A)
Berwick (H)
Annan (H)

Yours

Elgin (A)
Annan (A)
Stirling (H)
Edinburgh (A)

No point trying to predict anything , every team seems to lose u expected points in this division. Not much between the teams apart from the top 2 who are by far the best

25 minutes ago, tbsouth said:

No need to tighten if we score more....be great to see Kerr Hay on the bench for Smith or even on for Peters.

I don't think I agree with one part of that post.

We simply have to tighten up at the back or we will not win the league as we will not score 3 or 4 every game from now 'til the end of the season.  We have a fair bit of firepower throughout the squad but it has already dried up once this season and will likely happen again, points will only be picked up if we can keep it tighter at the back when that happens.

Malcolm is becoming a bigger liability by the week, teams are actively targetting him now with simple lobs over his head, or an up-an-under in his general direction causing all sorts of problems.  His confidence looks completely shot to me.  That said, against Clyde, his diving header clearing the ball for a corner was a brilliant bit of defending.

As for Hay, I hope he's improved in his stint away from Station Park, Peters is way better than him going on last seasons appearances.

I've heard good things about Hay in the U20's but have never been impressed by him at the next level up.  I truly hope he does make the step though.

Malc dropped and either Travis (when fit) or Munro beside TOB.  Sweeper system is pretty much defunct as a defensive strategy unless it's the keeper filling that role.

I'm afraid I'd have Kennedy hooked too and MacKintosh back in the side.  He wasn't even on the bench on Monday, is he injured?

Bollan supposedly has a loan deal for a left-back from a Premership club in the bag and he could be in place for the Elgin trip. Wee Kerr could be on his way to Montrose to hook up with Petrie, who worked with him at both Forfar and Broughty

Bollan supposedly has a loan deal for a left-back from a Premership club in the bag and he could be in place for the Elgin trip. Wee Kerr could be on his way to Montrose to hook up with Petrie, who worked with him at both Forfar and Broughty

Good. Never confident with Kennedy at left back. Good enough aye but suspect when with ball at feet

Good. Never confident with Kennedy at left back. Good enough aye but suspect when with ball at feet

Kennedy is a bit of a problem.
I've been impressed with him one week and wanting him subbied the next.
Probably needs game time at this level to improve but can we afford to give him that time?

Kennedy is a bit of a problem.
I've been impressed with him one week and wanting him subbied the next.
Probably needs game time at this level to improve but can we afford to give him that time?

No, if we have someone better lined up then fantastic. Harsh but true

Looking forward to my first trip to Elgin since the early 90s!
Jim Weir and Gav Price were interested spectators v Clyde but may have left before the winner was scored.

Think we have a couple of players who are out of contract in January. McCawl will go back to Saints at some point (I've been impressed by his contributions in the centre of midfield and wouldn't have minded him staying). The other, and I could be wrong, but was Smith not signed on a short term deal in August? don't know if that's been extended.
If they both go, I think we'll be looking for another central midfielder (especially with Lewis having injury problems over the last 2 games)

Another left back makes sense and the previous comments are pretty fair. There's not much wrong with Kennedy (apart from getting his consistency of performance up) and his natural left foot allows Bain to play in his strongest position at right back. He does need game time to get his match sharpness up following injury and, as others have said, I'm not convinced that our weaknesses have been down the flanks, regardless of who has been wearing the #2 or #3 shirt. Many of the goals we've conceded have been because we've been "soft" through the middle at times.

Having watched the 20s a fair bit over the years, I do like the look of Muzz and right back isn't even his best position. Seen him play well at centre half and some very good games in the middle of midfield although he's got a bit more developing to go before he could put in a shout for that role in the 1st team.

Regardless of who we bring in, I hope they're of the standard of McCawl and not the standard of many of the loanees we brought in last season.

Also agree with the comments about Kerr being one of our best finishers - he looks a natural when 1v1 with the goalie. Just not sure whether his attitude and temperament are counting against him? Was it 3 or 4 red cards last season?

Anyway, a narrow 4-5 away win with all the goals coming in the first half. :)

Haven't seen Forfar this season, but would say that Elgin are playing some excellent football without winning. Sounds daft but we're sitting 3rd having not taken a point off the other teams in the top 5.

Elgin to win by scoring by a goal. Win this and we'll go on a run. Top four to be the same at the end of the season.

Archived