Partick Thistle vs Kilmarnock 31 December

Seeing as Killie are struggling with injuries particularly at center half I have a sneaky suspicion Ade Azeez will start as Doolan put in a big shift and snagged a goal midweek. Azeez while he has struggled to score goals is one heck of a handful with his size and strength. I also think Lawless could also start. With more depth and quality this year Archie will rely on some rotation and this last 10 days he may use the squad. However how can you drop Ryan Edwards or Sean Welsh? Both were immense midweek!
2-1 Jags.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty dreadful game of football.

We tried to use the wings too much and it just wasn't happening.

Was sure Doolan was onside in the second half when the linesman flagged early but another Thistle player may have been beyond and interfering I guess.

Killie are honking but they forced a couple of good saves from Tam.

Oh well. Clean sheet. Here's to 2017.

Killie could have snatched that at end through Coulibay or Smith. I'm just happy we didn't lose a late goal. Lots of tired legs. With third game in 10 days or so it looks too much as Erskine showed but worked as hard as he could. Harried and hassled. Edwards was quiet and Lawless had one or two nice moments but wasn't really in the game much. Frustrating as Killie where there for the taking. Poor side but Clarke did well to set them up and keep them disciplined throughout.

Let's all be honest 7 out of 9 points with no defeats over Christmas period we'd have all been happy with after a poor October and November.

With Dumbayh and Fraser back after the winter break adding more competition and most of the lads getting a wee break in the sun at training camp I'm sure we'll be pretty happy with our position at present. Just wish we had 3-5 points more.

Mom for me was Devine. He put in a tireless shift. Barton did everything well today also. Everyone else looked exhausted out there.

I never liked Christie Elliott as a forward player, infact I thought he was a total jobber. I was warming to him as a right back, but today he had a bit of a mare and I'm gradually not feeling it from him. Sooner Dumbuya is back there the better for me.

Pretty scrappy game, was kinda tempted to stay in with that rain and I wish I did. I reckon if it wasn't Cerny in goals Stuckmann or Scully might have coughed one up and it could have been a defeat. 

Devine has been solid the past few games, being coupled with Barton is probably a big part of that. Also good to see Lawless back, thought he was sharp despite not playing in a while, it's a shame our 5-3-2 formation means dropping him out completely.

That second half was fucking abysmal, it was like we were actively trying to lose the game. Misplaced passes all over the shop, nobody wanting to head the ball, total panic in defence, and Killie probably should have nicked it with the couple of great chances they had.

Tactically poor today as well: why Archie thought a mixture of long balls to Doolan and clipped balls over the top was the right way to play I have no idea. They all just slid away on the wet pitch. The game was crying out for the ball on the deck with Erskine and Lawless running at their makeshift centre halves, linking up with Doolan in the way that has worked so many times before.

7 points from these last 3 fixtures isn't so bad, but that was a stinker.

Archived