Hero at your club/Wage thief elsewhere

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At Falkirk he scored 17 goals in 3 months.

He certainly never produced that kind of form at Hibs, Celtic or Sunderland.

ETA sole reason? Harsh

No but I also don't think Celtic or Hibs fans will class him as a wage thief either which is the reason for this thread, hence the title.

Sole reason is a bit harsh actually. He did run the show that day and was by far the best player on the pitch.

11 minutes ago, smpar said:

Greg Fleming was absolutely pish with us as well but Ayr fans would try and convince you he's the best 'keeper in the country.

I certainly wouldn't. He's done really well and exceeded my expectations of him this season (thought he was mince last season), but he's still got plenty of mistakes in him, particularly with high balls into the box. He chucked our game against Dumbarton a couple of weeks back by flapping at a couple of crosses and literally throwing it into his own net one.

Maybe not.

What are we considering a wage thief? I always took it as someone who was pretty shite at there job which is the epitome of what Reilly and Burns were.

I was considering a wage thief as someone you know isn't playing anywhere near as well as you know they can.

See also Stephen Simmons (and most players who were picked by Stephen Kenny).

17 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

No but I also don't think Celtic or Hibs fans will class him as a wage thief either which is the reason for this thread, hence the title.

Sole reason is a bit harsh actually. He did run the show that day and was by far the best player on the pitch.

He derailed hibs in the league, good chance we may have seen Hibs out this league if they finished 2nd. Cup final, he turned up and I suppose he's hoping Blackburn reach a cup final this season.

First thoughts Mark Millar and John Baird but already out.

Ally Graham scored 200+ goals I'm sure, couldn't score in a barrel of fannies at Falkirk.

Farid to an extent, I'd guess started around the 40 appearance mark in one season. I'd be surprised if he has surpassed that mark since he left, tho still received cult status whilst being injury prone

58 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

At Falkirk he scored 17 goals in 3 months.

He certainly never produced that kind of form at Hibs, Celtic or Sunderland.

ETA sole reason? Harsh

Anthony stokes scored 23 goals in the 2009/10 season in his first spell at hibs. Hardly a "wage thief" now is he Gav?

31 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Anthony stokes scored 23 goals in the 2009/10 season in his first spell at hibs. Hardly a "wage thief" now is he Gav?

Maybe a bit harsh.

From Hibs fans point of view which Stokesy spell was the best - the 1 he won the cup or the 1 he actually scored a decent number of goals?

Just every player we sign from Raith seems to forget how to play football as soon as they joined us. Along with Grant Anderson going from dependable wide player to non factor I can also include in the worst Scottish 5 piece since the bay city rollers.

Mark Campbell - Solid centre half turned into a junior player.

Stephen Simmons - did alright in a title contending team was about my most disliked player of all time. Seems to have been competent at Alloa.

John Baird - Consistent goal scorer but was utterly forgettable outside of the way he bolted to Falkirk and starting scoring again.

Ryan Conroy - Managed to lose his sole advantage in his set pieces at Queens despite getting double figures from midfield most other years.

1 hour ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Don't get Gav started on wages.

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

Maybe a bit harsh.

From Hibs fans point of view which Stokesy spell was the best - the 1 he won the cup or the 1 he actually scored a decent number of goals?

Better in his first spell, will obviously be remembered more for his second.

Sir Anthony is by far a wage thief..perhaps the likes of Scott Allan, Chris Killen, Maybe James Collins the other way for us, seemed to have a decent-ish scoring record everywhere he's been but was dire for us, but don't think he was classed as a 'hero' elsewhere. 

Archived