Internet through the plugs

My wi-fi is a sack of shite. I've currently got a 20m long ethernet cable from the kitchen (where the router is) to the living room so that we can watch Netflix, but for some reason, my gf isn't too pleased about having a massive cable stretching across the hall. I heard that it's possible to transmit data through the electrical system in your house. 

I've no idea how this works (and I don't really need to know!). I searched online, and found this product...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010kit-av600-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xtaixwxxqr&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1014+(PLA)+TP+Link+SF~All+Products~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001428950!170984332257!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=c&ds_kids=92700017021480173&PLA=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BMIKiElqFAhhIpBPpzexQ7-ds327Z-fu4v3rzBiBut8xoClkDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIn1-cOwvNECFdOu7Qod5VUEzw

Basically, it comes with 2 plug adapter things. My question is "Is one of the plugs for the router" or can I use the other one for the PC in the bedroom (where the wifi is also terrible)..Also, could I buy another one to use for the laptop in the kitchen? (despite the laptop being 2 inches from the router, it still isn't 100% reliable). 

Cheers!

17 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

My wi-fi is a sack of shite. I've currently got a 20m long ethernet cable from the kitchen (where the router is) to the living room so that we can watch Netflix, but for some reason, my gf isn't too pleased about having a massive cable stretching across the hall. I heard that it's possible to transmit data through the electrical system in your house. 

I've no idea how this works (and I don't really need to know!). I searched online, and found this product...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa4010kit-av600-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-10143560-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xtaixwxxqr&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1014+(PLA)+TP+Link+SF~All+Products~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001428950!170984332257!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=c&ds_kids=92700017021480173&PLA=1&gclid=CjwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BMIKiElqFAhhIpBPpzexQ7-ds327Z-fu4v3rzBiBut8xoClkDw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIn1-cOwvNECFdOu7Qod5VUEzw

Basically, it comes with 2 plug adapter things. My question is "Is one of the plugs for the router" or can I use the other one for the PC in the bedroom (where the wifi is also terrible)..Also, could I buy another one to use for the laptop in the kitchen? (despite the laptop being 2 inches from the router, it still isn't 100% reliable). 

Cheers!

I have this at home for my daughter's pc. Router downstairs and pc upstairs. Different brand name but same principle. I can check the setup when I get home later but I think one of the plugs hooks up to the router (ie a cable from the router to one of the plugs) and at the other end a cable from the plug to the pc/laptop or whatever. 

I couldn't get it working when I first used it but got my IT guy from work and he sorted it. Moved house recently and it worked straight away. No idea how it works but it does. 

Eta.. turns out I have them at work too for the printer/scanner/fax. 

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

You have one next to the router and can have as many as you like (i think) dotted around the house for different devices.  You just need to make sure that all the sockets you're using are on the same ring.

I only have two and dont really need any more, but I wonder if any additional ones would need to be the same make and model?

The only thing I have to add is that with the ones linked in the OP you will lose an electric socket. You can also buy them with an electric socket on.

21 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I only have two and dont really need any more, but I wonder if any additional ones would need to be the same make and model?

The only thing I have to add is that with the ones linked in the OP you will lose an electric socket. You can also buy them with an electric socket on.

In my experience they do.  I've got 5 in the house and only the same make and model work.  I've tried putting on a different model and the master doesn't recognise it.  A lot of them you can log onto with a laptop or PC and they have a basic GUI that lets you see what devices they can see hanging off them.

edit:  The ones I have have a socket on the front you can use.  Also, don't plug them into a power bar, always directly into the socket.

Save your self a bit of cash, your eminence, and pick up these off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Powerline-pass-through-ethernet-adaptor-Comtrend-make-/122308023512?hash=item1c7a2054d8:g:-vUAAOSwnHZYdoKs

BT gave them away with their original BT Vision boxes and they work fine, and you get a socket as well.  Ebay is awash with them.  The black ones are a slightly newer model.

26 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Cheers guys. Obviously I've no idea about my ring arrangements, but it's a 2 bedroom flat so I'm hoping it's all gravy. 

It's unlikely you'll have two separate rings. It tends to only be in conversions etc so you should be fine.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

They don't.

I started off with a couple of TP-LINK TL-PA2030.  Currently my router is hooked up to one and the other is connected to my desktop.  I later bought a 3rd one for connecting the TV, Xbox, PS4 etc with and got one of these https://www.trendnet.com/products/powerline-500-hub/TPL-4052E 

The three of them work together without any issues even though they are different brands and models.

On 1/12/2017 at 11:18, KnightswoodBear said:
On 1/12/2017 at 11:23, KnightswoodBear said:

Save your self a bit of cash, your eminence, and pick up these off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Powerline-pass-through-ethernet-adaptor-Comtrend-make-/122308023512?hash=item1c7a2054d8:g:-vUAAOSwnHZYdoKs

BT gave them away with their original BT Vision boxes and they work fine, and you get a socket as well.  Ebay is awash with them.  The black ones are a slightly newer model.

The ones I have have a socket on the front you can use.  Also, don't plug them into a power bar, always directly into the socket.

Wish I'd read your post, but I bought them on Friday. Tbh, I'm as happy as a dog with 2 dicks... can't believe I put up with a 20m ethernet cable for so long. 

One question: you said don't plug them into a power bar... why not? I've done it and it works fine (I didn't purposefully ignore the instructions, I just didn't have a choice). 

On 15/01/2017 at 15:16, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Wish I'd read your post, but I bought them on Friday. Tbh, I'm as happy as a dog with 2 dicks... can't believe I put up with a 20m ethernet cable for so long. 

One question: you said don't plug them into a power bar... why not? I've done it and it works fine (I didn't purposefully ignore the instructions, I just didn't have a choice). 

Power bars often have tech in them designed to stop interference and/or protect from surges.  These could either reduce the speed or in the worst case block it completely.

The only issue I've had with power line adapters is often my connection to the PC drops completely and its just plugged into the wall socket.  I have to turn it off and on again to get it connected again.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

Power bars often have tech in them designed to stop interference and/or protect from surges.  These could either reduce the speed or in the worst case block it completely.

The only issue I've had with power line adapters is often my connection to the PC drops completely and its just plugged into the wall socket.  I have to turn it off and on again to get it connected again.

I get the same thing, in fact it happened earlier tonight. Happens on both the adaptors, although not at the same time. All the lights go out and the network drops but turning on and off again fixes it

Surely the pound land/no surge protection ones are the "best" for these. Obviously fire risk aside, they will be a straight connection to the mains ?

Would these work with Virgin Tivo boxes?   I've got a Tivo in the back room - it's the one I had in the living room and has recordings on it that I didn't want to lose so I got it moved - but didn't fancy having it hard wired (when I say "didn't fancy", I really mean was told "it's not happening...")

• 1 month later...

Archived