Afcon 2017

NorthernLights

The Africa Cup of Nations starts tomorrow.  All the games will be on British Eurosports.

http://www.live-footballontv.com/african-cup-of-nations-on-tv.html

My main memory of the last one was the Equatorial Guinea fans rioting during the semi-final as their team was pumped by Ghana.  What scenes will we see this time?  I believe Zimbabwe have step in for the traditional pre-tournament payment row.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did people (particularly on places like the BBC website and in the papers) start calling this tournament Afcon? It was always African Cup of Nations or something like CoN rather than it being all one word. Every time I see it written I think it's some air conditioning sales conference at the SSEC or something. 

20 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I was thinking DR Congo in the sweepstake.

6 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

In a shocking turn of events, DR Congo aren't training due to a dispute over bonus payments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38614257

:lol: :thumsup2 8)

Tbf, they're always at it. Recall when Lua Lua played for them.

Interesting to see how the crowds go, too - as one of the main unions in Gabon has called for a boycott due to money being lavished on sports events while hospitals and schools are struggling.

Last couple of editions - in Equatorial Guinea and South Africa - haven't seen crowds much below 7,000; with the exception of Ivory Coast v Togo in Rustenburg which got just 2,000. However when it got cohosted by Equatorial Guinea and Gabon in 2012 there were crowds as low as 1,000 (Libya-Zambia), 2,500 (Sudan-Angola), 132 (Sudan-Burkina Faso), 1,500 (Ivory Coast-Angola) and 200 (Zambia-Sudan in QF) - although granted that most of these were in the Equatorial Guinea half of the draw.

On 1/13/2017 at 20:38, Salvo Montalbano said:

When did people (particularly on places like the BBC website and in the papers) start calling this tournament Afcon? It was always African Cup of Nations or something like CoN rather than it being all one word. Every time I see it written I think it's some air conditioning sales conference at the SSEC or something. 

It has the hideous stench of a manufactured twitter hashtag.

On 14/01/2017 at 18:49, shieldhillsmithy said:

Why is there always some kind of payment row at this? 

People in the associations losing/stealing the money.

Before the Olympics, the Nigerian football team got stranded at Atlanta airport because no-one had bothered to pay the airline. They only arrived in Brazil about 18 hours before their first game.

Archived